Sign in to follow this  
Carafaat

Article: Tribute to the Mighty Genius of Somali Clanism by Prof Said Sh.Samater

Carafaat   

Prof Said Sh. Samatar

Untitled.jpg

SOMALI CLANISM is a force in the land to be reckoned with. Don’t snicker! By the end of this animated screed, you will be thoroughly persuaded. Somali clanism is at once earth-shattering and globe-trotting, coming along as a happy camper wherever Somalis set foot, from Siberia to Senegal and from the North to the South Pole. It traverses all three tropics—Cancer, Equator and Capricorn, spewing out its lethal cocktail of clannish feud and vendetta. It arouses in the average Somali a primal, obsessive, compulsive onrush of ugly, blind, unthinking primordial urgings.

Moreover, it contains within it a deadly load of enslaving properties, having captured the mind of some fifteen million Somalis who cringe and cower before its paralyzing transfixing embrace. A Somali intellectual once said to the author: “You know, I was born into this clan thing and I can’t extricate myself from its existential clutch, try hard as I may. Indeed I am loath to disengage from its soothing, seductive grip.” Hearing this confession, a minor chill went through me. If a learned man, no less a university professor, confesses to this thorough-going helplessness in the face of this potent force, what about the average Somali, doomed as he is to be devoured by the toxic fumes of this dangerous narcotic. Wittingly or unwittingly, this sense of utter helplessness envelops all Somalis, putting them in bondage to the unbreakable grip of clannish fixations, propelling them to turn into a nation of victims and criminals. Nowadays, the virus of Somali clanism threatens to penetrate the international community.

Having conquered and colonized Somalis, clanism is on the march to score a number of conquests on the global community. For twenty and plus years, in the face of internecine clan killing and chaos, the world has striven mightily to “nationize” us (a neologism for “making us a nation”), funding and financing no fewer than twenty reconciliation conferences to restore the Somali Cassandra of Africa to nationhood. All to no avail. Instead, we have triumphantly succeeded in tribalizing the world. Employing the needle of your compass to draw an arc over the Somali peninsula, start with Puntland where Abdirahman Faroole, or Missing Fingers, has successfully outmaneuvered all opposition by successively co-opting the leading sub-clans of every major clan family. For example, in the upper Puntland region of Mudugh, he has neutralized the Reer Mahad by slicing off to his side the Warsame and Abdi Aadan sub-clans who really are the only ones that count, in terms, that is, of numerical strength. Similarly with the ********, he culled out the Reer Haaji, leaving the rest to their clan catcalls! A small Somali Machiavellian Faroole is. (Parenthetically, I praise him here in order to atone for my past savage criticism of him).

The story of Somali clanism overwhelming a foreign interloper has a long precedent. For example, the punch line of Sayyid Mahammad’s poem (“Awal Maanso Waa Taan Balfoo, Buriyey Waayaha e”) (“Long Have I Abandoned the Art of Poetic Composition”) reads:

Engriisku waa baaha qaad, baada no wada e,

Talyaana soo baxyoo haatan waa baha Daraawiishe:

The starving English have now brought us tribute of protection

As for the Italians, they’ve now become a bonafide member of the Dervish clan

Confederacy.

Thus does the Sayyid brag of having clanized two major European powers! Puntland has now successfully enmeshed the Italians in Somali clanism. Not only has Italy offered considerable aid, including a powerful radio transmitter, a local TV station and a number of infrastructure projects, but Italy has become a virtual ally of Puntland. For example, at a recent G-8 summit (June 17-18, 2013) in Northern Ireland, the Italians are alleged to have acted as spokesmen for Puntland. When some in the meeting referred to Hassan Sheikh Mahammed Culusow (the overweight) as president of Somalia, the Italian delegates jumped to their feet to express their doubt about Hassan’s claim. Having bought Faroole’s line that Turkey equals Iririism, the Italians allegedly lectured the conference that Hassan represented only a clan region, and went on to pontificate on their superior historical knowledge of the region as the former colonial owner of Somalia, in contrast to the patent regional ignorance of other attendees. (Or could the Italians be pampering Puntland with economic and political largesse because they are keen on getting a piece of the action in the current scramble for oil exploration in Somalia?).

Move on to Somaliland. In the old days of the British Raj in the Somaliland Protectorate, the English were universally acknowledged to have joined in alliance with the Muusa ‘Arre sub-clan of the Habar Yoonis clan-family, a relationship that was cemented by Resaldar Major Haaji Muusa Faarah (better known by the unflattering nickname of “Muuse Egarre”), the highest ranking officer in the Protectorate’s native administration. Mr. Faarah hailed from the Muusa ‘Arre sub-clan of the Habar Yoonis. Hence his success in grafting the English onto the Muusa ‘Arre sub-clan. As a result, the humor-gifted Somalilanders coined the fresh aphorism: “Muusa ‘Arre iyo Engriis ‘Arre,” or the (“New Muusa ‘Arre and English ‘Arre confederacy of clans!) Taking advantage of Somaliland’s historic relationship with Britain, British oil companies have now descended on Somaliland, mapping the entire territory into oil-exploration zones.

Move on to the ******** region, comprising Ethiopia’s 5th Kilil (Somali State) where the Ethiopian overlords have become virtual ********is , chewing Chaat and drinking camel milk. When I was in Addis Ababa (2009), I was told by a reliable source that the late Prime Minister, Meles Zenawi, had been the biggest chaat-chewer in town!

Move on to Jubaland. Here the Jubalanders have co-opted both Ethiopia and Kenya as their new clan allies. Kenya, especially, has morphed into a ******* love fest. Uhuru Kenyatta, the new Kenya president has not only given the ******* top posts in his cabinet (including the crowning of a ******* female as Kenya’s Foreign Minister) but has so embraced the Jubaland Daaroods that he could intone with Elizabeth Barrett Browning, “How do I love thee? / Let me count the ways!” He has allegedly masterminded Jubaland’s recent smashing victory over a Mareehaan/****** clan alliance on the outskirts of the port city of Kisimayu. His commitment to the ******* Jubaland is immortalized in the coinage of a new word: “the new ******* Ismaa’iil and Uhuru Ismaa’iil clan!”

Move on to central Somalia, principally Mogadishu and adjacent regions where a confederacy of ****** clans hold sway. The ****** went one better than either the ******* or the *****, having garnered the support of four foreign alliances, principally Turkey, Egypt, Djibouti and Uganda. Quite a remarkable achievement, though the fact that both Turkey and Egypt –the two that really count—are embroiled in their own social cataclysms that threaten their very existence does not bode well for the cause of Mogadishu. And, while you are at it, don’t forget ********* land, where the Rahanweynis have been triumphantly Rahanwenizing the Abyssinians for two decades—and counting.

The genius of Somali clanism is so mighty and mysterious that it even, on occasion, exercises seasoned scholars. At the African Studies Association’s annual convention, held in Philadelphia (end of Nov. 2012), at a panel on Somalia chaired by Fowsia Abdulkadir, where Faisal Roble presented an excellent piece on the death of Maandeeq, Prof. Lidwien Kapteigns’ new book, Clan Cleansing in Somalia: the Ruinous Legacy of 1991, was featured and drew praise from Professor Lee Cassanelli as a top-quality work. As well, Cassanelli has penned a brief warm endorsement of the book in the dust jacket. Still, at the meeting, the normally mild-mannered Cassanelli thundered forth his strong disagreement with some claims in the book. I have yet to read the book in its entirety, but from what I’ve been able to skim through here and there, it advances the argument, expressed in the title, and backed by a formidable array of evidence, that a horrible “clan cleansing,” unparalleled in Somali history, had taken place in the months following the fall of Siyaad Barre’s regime early in January, 1991, and that victims of this barbaric massacre were largely members of the ******* ethnicity. The point of Dr. Cassanelli’s declamation was uncertain but the perception it left was unmistakable. He was perceived to be rooting for the ****** clan-family while Professor Kapteijns was seen to have drawn a pro-******* agenda! Thus does Somali clanism work up the allegiance and imagination of tried and tested professors? Still, it’d be a pity if Kapteijn’s well researched expose of massive clan killings and assorted crimes were crowded out by the obfuscating fog of clannish sentiments.

http://www.wardheernews.com/tribute-to-the-mighty-genius-of-somali-clanism/

Carafaat   

Alpha,

this is a wonderful article written by Prof Said SH Samater, Professor at Rutgers-Newark University not to be confused with the other Samater brothers.I suggest you take a minute to actually read and let us know what you think of it.

Samafal   

Apart from the bit where he's taunting his mother-father family (which I don't know why go low like that), the article is scholarly piece. I always read Prof Said's work with interest as they are full of humor and have some truth in them.

Talking about Somali clan going global, there were couple of times I met with these Cadaan guys who were married to Somali women. Within minutes of our conversation, they asked me which tribe I was. In both occasions, I laughed as I did not see it coming and their response was I might be from same tribe as them. Poor fellas thought that their wives being from certain clan would give them automatic membership to the said clan. The whole paternal blood relations was too complex for them to understand I thought.

Carafaat;973139 wrote:
Alpha,

this is a wonderful article written by Prof Said SH Samater, Professor at Rutgers-Newark University not to be confused with the other Samater brothers.I suggest you take a minute to actually read and let us know what you think of it.

i wasn't aware, inaar. :)

qabil to me is like garlic and holy water to a vampire. in other words, there's no actual proof that garlic and holy water ever killed vampires. it's given more importance than it warrants. it's a figment of our imagination and used by the ruling classes to exploit the Somali people. it's also prolonged this quagmire we find ourselves in. i reckon if a survey was carried out across the board and people were asked to state the 3 most important things to them.........it wouldn't include qabil affliction but something like security, job creation and access to education and healthcare. sometimes, you have jump on the bandwagon, particularly when you can benefit from it. balse, it's a merry-go-around system and self-regulating in many ways. yesterday's victor is today's loser and today's victor was yesterday's loser. caal kuli xaal, i think the qabil system ought to be reformed structural and something like the EU's rotational presidency should be institution.

within my immediate sub-clan there's an archaic system of sorts.....there's the caqil, chief caqil and suldaan. they're not aware of each other's roles. sometimes, you pay blood money to all 3 entities within this trinity of sorts. their work overlap and there appears to be a serious need to write them job descriptions detailing their roles.

as demonstrated by the SL Republic and now practically carbon copied by many, tribal elders have played a pivotal role, in our transitional towards peace and stability. their job is done now and they should be forced to retire and given a small pension instead of leeching off their people and mashruuc'ising their people with fearmongering tactics and what have yous. elders should only perform a ceremonial function. SL is now post-conflict and we're now just taking the first-steps towards development, albeit on the lowest rung of the ladder balse what's needed is more technocrats and administrators to undertake the challenges that lie ahead.

parliamentary and ministerial positions shouldn't be appointed to satisfy tribal quota nor presidential patronage but rather all potential contenders should be seeded according to their experiences and skills using a complex mathematical formula and picked like the lottery. this should be broadcast on TV to improve transparency and accountable. perhaps a complaints procedure and selection review board should be set up for the big laandheere's who are given the worst ministries. maybe the clans can even barter and negotiate between themselves and arrive at a consensus of sorts :P. also clan names should be numeric because it'll be easier to collect census data.

that's what i think inaadeero Arafat.

Somalia   

KKKKK, Xunjuf enjoying an article such as this, where is the surprise in that? :D

I think this article is very flawed, too many qabiils are mentioned, I am just astonished and surprised at this kind of scholarly work, I have report it to the moderators, I see clan names here!

Carafaat   

Somalia;973179 wrote:

I think this article is very flawed, too many qabiils are mentioned, I am just astonished and surprised at this kind of scholarly work, I have report it to the moderators, I see clan names here!

Somalia, ma waxa diidan tahay xiriirkan Mafiyada Talyaaniya iyo Puntland ina la tilmaamo? :D

Puntland has now successfully enmeshed the Italians in Somali clanism. Not only has Italy offered considerable aid, including a powerful radio transmitter, a local TV station and a number of infrastructure projects, but Italy has become a virtual ally of Puntland. For example, at a recent G-8 summit (June 17-18, 2013) in Northern Ireland, the Italians are alleged to have acted as spokesmen for Puntland. When some in the meeting referred to Hassan Sheikh Mahammed Culusow (the overweight) as president of Somalia, the Italian delegates jumped to their feet to express their doubt about Hassan’s claim. Having bought Faroole’s line that Turkey equals Iririism, the Italians allegedly lectured the conference that Hassan represented only a clan region, and went on to pontificate on their superior historical knowledge of the region as the former colonial owner of Somalia, in contrast to the patent regional ignorance of other attendees. (Or could the Italians be pampering Puntland with economic and political largesse because they are keen on getting a piece of the action in the current scramble for oil exploration in Somalia?).

Somalia   

Woooow, haye, why would anyone try and hide that connection, in fact I've spoken about this elsewhere, not only are they doing that, they are currently helping with very important infrastructure projects in Bosaso.

The gratuitous insult of Mafia indicates that you are troubled by it, I welcome that. I just did not like mention of clan names on SOL!

Carafaat   

Back to the article, the author states that Somali Clanism emerged as the sole winner of the Somali civil war. Can we conclude from this that Clan is indeed a mighty genius and thus rightly deserves its permanent place in Somali society?

Carafaat   

Somalia, clan federalism waa wuxu Faroole rabo si u awood ku helo. oo xal uma aha dhibta Somalia iyo clannism, it only creates more confusion and enforces clannism. bal eeg Galkacyo, iyo maamul qabiilada isku heysta gobolada kale. taas ayaa kugu filan tusaale.

Anigu waxaan isweydiiniyaa Qabiil maxaa lagu qanci karaa oo xaal lagu siin karaa? Ma taalo ayaa u dhisnaa, ma garoon ayaan u sameyna?

Haatu   

The regions should be based on the sub-clan level where possible and the clan level if it's a small clan. They should each have their own local assemblies and should have a degree of power.