Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

5 New Countries That Might Exist By 2025

N.O.R.F   

http://www.policymic.com/articles/58617/5-new-countries-that-might-exist-by-2025

Somaliland, tucked in between Ethiopia and the southern coast of the Gulf of Aden, takes the expected secessionist paradigm and flips it on its head: a relatively stable, moderate democracy looking for independence from a country synonymous with failed governance, Somalia. And while Somaliland certainly has its reputation as an oasis of peace in the Horn of Africa going for it, little progress toward recognition as a sovereign state has been made since it declared independence during the Somali Civil War in 1991— so far, no states recognize the region of 3.5 million.

But that may be changing. The state of Somalia is been cautiously improving in recent years, meaning a formal diplomatic solution could be more likely, while the EU and the African Union set precedent in 2007 by meeting with the breakaway government to discuss the region's future. There’s some debate as to the economic viability of an independent Somaliland — like much of Somalia, it's devastatingly poor — but foreign investment brought on by formal recognition could help reverse the pattern. But until someone's state department takes the plunge, independence may be a long ways off.

If our European brothers mediate between Somaliland and Somalia in serious talks than Somaliland can be recognized in in a few years time 4 to 5 years.

I am still wondering though if the Scots would really break away from the United Kingdom the costs of doing business with England or Europe would be much higher if they adopt Scottish ponds.If they use English Ponds or the Euro their monetary system will be controlled by others. The new Scotland also would have to do without the fiscal largess from England. How independent do the Scots want to be , and people like James Cook and other great explores would no longer be British or General Richard Montgomery who led the British Forces in the America's would no longer be seen as a Brit but a mere Scot. Even the last 2 Prime Ministers of Britain Gordon brown and Tony Blair were Scottish. But i can also understand that the Scottish people were fighting for independence since the 12 century and we wish them all the best. But they need to think of the decision they make and what way they will vote.

N.O.R.F   

I dont think the Scots will go it alone. Blair want Scotish saxib. He was from the north east of England I think.

2. Catalonia

5, new, countries, that, might, exist, by, 2025,

With Spain's economy in shambles and PM Mariano Rajoy increasingly mired in scandal, it's no wonder calls for Catalan independence have grown stronger (and maybe even more compelling) as Catalonia rumbles toward the controversial 2014 referendum. Home to one of Europe's biggest metropolitan areas, Barcelona, Catalonia has seen hundreds of thousands of citizens turn out for protests in favor of independence despite the Spanish constitution's ban on secession.

An independent Catalonia could be sustainable too: the region, about the size of Belgium, accounts for a quarter of Spain’s total exports, and Spain takes more than it gives, spending only 57 cents in the region for every dollar of taxes collected there. Ban Ki-Moon and David Cameron have offered some support for Catalan self-determination. It’s been suggested that about 60% of Catalan citizens support secession, but hard-line opposition to independence in the rest of the country may hamper what would seem like a done deal in many other nations.

Catolonia might just happen but 60% is not much they need 50% plus one but that would be weird Barcelona would be no longer in Spain, that would be very weird my favorite city in Spain.

Somalia   

What's interesting is that Xaaji thinks engaging with Mogadishu is what will get him recognition, I think this is a new view, it must be welcomed. :D

Quebec i doubt that will happen any time soon their referendum already failed Republika Srpska is also far away, Scotland can happen catalonia to we just dont know how bad the Scots want independence does any one have statistics. Somaliland is the only one in Africa a functioning government a working democracy, Somaliland is also very lucky and unlucky the country they were once part of is no longer functioning it has something that resembles a goverment.If there is mediation some where in the near future the talks will be something like this Somaliland insists we are an independent state Somalia was never the mother country of Somaliland. Historic evidences will be in her favor. Somalia will argue Somaliland is part of Somalia , Somalia is a recognized nation by the UN and the international community the western powers given legitimacy will be in her favor.The Mediators listened to both sides, will than try to bring them closer to each other to a settlement by creating more cooperation by the 2 sides. The Mediators will tell the Somaliland delegation how certain are we that the people really do want to be independent did you held a referendum. The koonfurians on their turn will say that people want unity. Somaliland will tell the mediators that SL already held a referendum in 2001 and the people wanted to be independent. The Koonfurians will say the referendum was not valid and not all people voted and it was done just after the civil war the people were bitter and now the people have cooled down look at Fawziya she loves us koonfurians. After much much talking the mediators will come with the idea to continue the cooperation between the 2 sides and to hold a referendum in a few years time. While Somaliland allows the Koonfurians to sell promote their Somaliweyn in Somaliland on agreed dates. And the movement of people.

Somalia;972833 wrote:
What's interesting is that Xaaji thinks engaging with Mogadishu is what will get him recognition, I think this is a new view, it must be welcomed.
:D

All roads should be tried i was never against talking to Mogadishu, but there was no Mogadishu to talk to , Ali mahdi was a warlord. Caydiid could not deliver what SNM wanted. Cabdi qasim was also a warlord. Cabdilahi yusuf and his xabashi mercenaries were at war with Somalis. Non of the governments in Somalia were legitimate. Some controlled a few streets in Xamar. But Somaliland will talk to Hassan he has a something that resembles a goverment although under African union troops it has full legitimacy.

Wada hadal cool always cool

Any where you want except in Somalia and Somaliland

Somalia   

But you said 'European brothers', why can't talks be in Hargeisa, then Mogadishu or neutral supreme IrirAG headquarter of Djibouti which would be very neutral in this regard, why do you feel it must be held in London, United Kingdom, former colonial rulers of Berbera?

Also, Hassan Sheikh government has full recognition but no authority to give away my Somali lands of Somaliland region as I am ethnically and nationally the same as Somaliland people according to the federal constitution in which Mudane Hassan Sheikh was elected upon. Therefore there will be nothing but stalemate, in fact Somaliland will lose legitimacy by sharing resources (like air control) when it is sovereign state. I think Somaliland must rethink its strategy, it needs new blood, people who think out of the triangle box, otherwise it will be in purgatory for a long time.

It must cut all public ties with AMISOM/HAG government. Reiterate and prove its sovereignty by securing its borders and create provocative yet safe political ties to entities that will concern the West in a bid to get attention.

Taleexi   

Dreams remain to be dreams - Either every clan state in Somalia gets recognition or none gets is the reality that calls for acceptance.

Hassan at some stage would understand that he can never win the hearts and minds of the pirates they already accuse him of changing the constitution. I would welcome Djjibouti to host both Somalia and Somaliland i will consider it neutral ground. Britain Turkey united states Ghana Sweden Norway Germany France i am oke with it. Its all neutral ground. And president Ismaciil Cumar geele is an excellent host. Talking with Somalia is good , Somaliland has nothing to lose by talking to Somalia. Somaliland will continue its double diplomacy with engaging with the international community and talking to Somalia. Hassan cannot give away anything he doesn't have Somaliland u cannot give away something you dont have. He wants the union to come back but its not feasible he knows that 2 deep inside his heart when he was elected he said there might not be even a union. If it comes to a referendum i am sure he will have little problem he would just tell the parliament of Somalia he let the case of independence and union to the people of Somaliland. And that he is given a particular time to convince the Somalilanders about union to promote his cause. The Parliament of Somalia will pass it remember HAG the bay and bakool the D'r form the majority in the parliament. they dont even need the gedo votes who are also allied tot he government.

Taleexi;972842 wrote:
Dreams remain to be dreams - Either every clan state in Somalia gets recognition or none gets is the reality that calls for acceptance.

Does every clan in Somalia want recognition?

I dont know i ask you , is Puntland jubbaland galmudug calling for independence if they want independence which i doubt but if they want that ,they need to fight for their cause.