Sign in to follow this  
Tallaabo

Richard Dawking mocked the Muslim World's intellectual inferiority

I can tolerate different opinions. And I've done so many times on this forum. Just look at my post history.

But I refuse to tolerate blatant insults against Somalis and obvious attempts to derail the topic. I was saying that Muslims nowadays should have the drive to excel in the scientific and technical fields. But then he comes along and decides to trash the entire Somali race as well as the Arabs which has nothing to do with this topic at all. Then he goes on a tangent claiming that these scientists were "mostly Persian". As if it matters what race these men were.

I'm done with him. He's not worth talking to. And I see no benefit in his discussion.

I hate the proverbial mud house, I really do, and it is my belief that only once we see it for what it is do we go on and improve it. My comment to the contribution is inline with the topic i.e. tangible in the sciences and arts. I mean, we have lived in this region of the world for millennia and we have nothing to show for it, thus our contribution being nil. If all of the Somali Lands were swallowed by the earth tomorrow, the people and the land wont really be missed, isn't that a comment on us as peoples?

Apophis;986713 wrote:
Somalis are engaging in trade all over the world; this is what builds civilisation and all the other advancement you want. Time is the factor. It's hard to not recognise the small changes that are vital in building the aforementioned. It doesn't all have to happen in your lifetime.

Exactly, each person focuses on what he's talented at. He should focus on improving himself to the best of his ability, and a whole society of people with this hard-work mentality can achieve great things. All we can do is focus on ourselves and try to influence those who we know. I hope that after several generations, the Somalis can have a great claim on scientific innovation and expertise. But we have to get the ball moving now, so that in 100 years or 150 years we would able to accomplish great things. Everyone has a role to play

Tallaabo   

Allyourbase;986712 wrote:
I hate the proverbial mud house, I really do, and it is my belief that only once we see it for what it is do we go on and improve it. My comment to the contribution is inline with the topic i.e. tangible in the sciences and arts. I mean, we have lived in this region of the world for millennia and we have nothing to show for it, thus our contribution being nil. If all of the Somali Lands were swallowed by the earth tomorrow, the people and the land wont really be missed, isn't that a comment on us as peoples?

I hate to hear the question you asked: "what have Somalis contributed to the world?" Indeed on more than one occasion I was harassed with this question by the white people who added that we Somalis only contributed terror and illegal immigration to the world civilisation. We are a waste of space and so we should commit mass suicide, don't you think?:(

Khayr   

I totally empathize with you about those feelings and frustrations.

However....

For the mumin, he has

Iman+Will Power = Strength

Alhamdulillah, I have a strong sense of identity. If you have that then, your focus and resilence grows (inshallah).

Tallaabo;986762 wrote:
I hate to hear the question you asked: "what have Somalis contributed to the world?" Indeed on more than one occasion I was harassed with this question by the white people who added that we Somalis only contributed terror and illegal immigration to the world civilisation. We are a waste of space and so we should commit mass suicide, don't you think?
:(

Tallaabo, that's the thinking of your white colleagues who probably haven't contributed much to the world other than drinking beer on a Sunday morning and watching a football game. They have no right to claim credit for what a white scientist invented 50 years ago, or what a white Astronaut might have accomplished....if they themselves amounted to nothing

I actually knew this German man who used to go on for HOURS bragging about how great the German race was, and how many things they've invented, but he couldn't give me an example of one thing that he himself accomplished in his life.

If you are a Somali Muslim, and you are well-educated, and you have a career which you try your best to excel in, and you reflect professionalism, then you've done the best you can do. And if millions of us do the same thing we can really make an impact on our surroundings.

galbeedi   

I would like to add my few senses on this issue. There are probably couple of reasons that the Jews excel in science and business. 1- The Jewish people were persecuted for centuries, especially in the western world and Russia.Education and business ingenuity were the only way to escape from poverty. Don,t look farther, even in the early twentieth century, just like blacks, Jewish were denied to be members of white Christian Clubs. They forced their way and through education and broke these barriers. 2-There are probably no Jews Noble Laureates from Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, Spain or Portugal or many other countries were there Jewish communities live and do well. As we are all aware most of the winners come from Advanced economies in the west. The Jewish Diaspora is the oldest among western nations, and these western being open societies the possibilities are greater for those who strive or success. among the sixty or Muslim countries, almost all of them were colonized, except Turkey and Iran. 90% of these countries gained their independence for the last half of the twentieth century. The western world took literally the Hadiis of the Prophet which says " one must seek knowledge from the cradle to grave" , also you need freedom to seek knowledge. The Muslim Ummah is must separate it self from the backward culture of the Khaliijul Arab before it can challenge others. On the issue of Somali contribution of the world, I bet you within few decades the Somali Diaspora will produce great minds, not to the extant of the Jewish community but compared to other developing nations. We are not static nation by nature we are mobile nomads, we cannot be boxed in somebody else s narration. Moe Farrah the Somali British runner and many more will be on the spot light. Few months ago I was chaying this guy from Zimbabwe , and he said " are you Somalis guys in exile or refugees or what? I told him that few decades ago we were singing " Ian Smith ma muuqdeen, Rodishia ma maageen hadan midig la siinin" I narrated how we took part in their liberation from White minority rule in Zimbabwe. Look at these great minds in this forum, how intelligent and reasonable they are, when they are engaged issues outside their tribal home lands. Finally, Atheists like Richard Dawking will never understand The Believing of the unseen and .faith. The foundation of hierarchy like God the Creator, Faith , Family and country were replaced by mans desires and whims by proclaiming the death of Faith. I have no intention of debating with atheist.

galbeedi   

I would like to add my few senses on this issue. There are probably couple of reasons that the Jews excel in science and business. 1- The Jewish people were persecuted for centuries, especially in the western world and Russia.Education and business ingenuity were the only way to escape from poverty. Don,t look farther, even in the early twentieth century, just like blacks, Jewish were denied to be members of white Christian Clubs. They forced their way and through education broke these barriers. 2-There are probably no Jews Noble Laureates from Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, Spain or Portugal or many other countries were there Jewish communities live and do well. As we are all aware most of the winners come from Advanced economies in the west. The Jewish Diaspora is one of he oldest among western nations, and these western being open societies the possibilities are greater for those who strive or success. among the sixty or so Muslim countries, almost all of them were colonized, except Turkey and Iran. 90% of these countries gained their independence for the last half of the twentieth century. The western world took literally the Hadiis of the Prophet which says " one must seek knowledge from the cradle to grave" , also you need freedom to seek knowledge. The Muslim Ummah must separate it self from the backward culture of the Khaliijul Arab before it can challenge others. On the issue of Somali contribution of the world, I bet you within few decades the Somali Diaspora will produce great minds, not to the extant of the Jewish community but compared to other developing nations. We are not static nation by nature we are mobile nomads, we cannot be boxed in somebody else s narration. Moe Farrah the Somali British runner and many more will be on the spot light. Few months ago I was chatting with a guy from Zimbabwe , and he said " are you Somalis guys in exile or refugees or what? I told him that few decades ago we were singing " Ian Smith ma muuqdeen, Rodishia ma maageen hadan midig la siinin" I narrated how we took part in their liberation from White minority rule in Zimbabwe. Look at these great minds in this forum, how intelligent and reasonable they are, when they are engaged issues outside their tribal home lands. Finally, Atheists like Richard Dawking will never understand The Believing of the unseen and .faith. The foundation of hierarchy like God the Creator, Faith , Family and country were replaced by mans desires and whims by proclaiming the death of Faith. I have no intention of debating with atheist.

galbeedi;987098 wrote:
I would like to add my few senses on this issue. There are probably couple of reasons that the Jews excel in science and business. 1- The Jewish people were persecuted for centuries, especially in the western world and Russia.Education and business ingenuity were the only way to escape from poverty. Don,t look farther, even in the early twentieth century, just like blacks, Jewish were denied to be members of white Christian Clubs. They forced their way and through education and broke these barriers. 2-There are probably no Jews Noble Laureates from Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, Spain or Portugal or many other countries were there Jewish communities live and do well. As we are all aware most of the winners come from Advanced economies in the west. The Jewish Diaspora is the oldest among western nations, and these western being open societies the possibilities are greater for those who strive or success. among the sixty or Muslim countries, almost all of them were colonized, except Turkey and Iran. 90% of these countries gained their independence for the last half of the twentieth century. The western world took literally the Hadiis of the Prophet which says " one must seek knowledge from the cradle to grave" , also you need freedom to seek knowledge. The Muslim Ummah is must separate it self from the backward culture of the Khaliijul Arab before it can challenge others. On the issue of Somali contribution of the world, I bet you within few decades the Somali Diaspora will produce great minds, not to the extant of the Jewish community but compared to other developing nations. We are not static nation by nature we are mobile nomads, we cannot be boxed in somebody else s narration. Moe Farrah the Somali British runner and many more will be on the spot light. Few months ago I was chaying this guy from Zimbabwe , and he said " are you Somalis guys in exile or refugees or what? I told him that few decades ago we were singing " Ian Smith ma muuqdeen, Rodishia ma maageen hadan midig la siinin" I narrated how we took part in their liberation from White minority rule in Zimbabwe. Look at these great minds in this forum, how intelligent and reasonable they are, when they are engaged issues outside their tribal home lands. Finally, Atheists like Richard Dawking will never understand The Believing of the unseen and .faith. The foundation of hierarchy like God the Creator, Faith , Family and country were replaced by mans desires and whims by proclaiming the death of Faith. I have no intention of debating with atheist.

Cool. But let me correct you, "One must seek knowledge from the cradle to grave" is in fact not a Hadith.