Sign in to follow this  
Haatu

Rare Somali words

Haatu   

In my reading as of late I've come across a lot of Somali words that I don't hear in everyday speech. I therefore dedicate this thread to those such words. Please also share any rare Somali words you come across and the meanings.

Haatu   

If I go first, I posted these on the Cantarabaqash thread but I'll post them here again.

Qofkahadal - Biography

Iskahadal - Autobiography

Qofkawarran - Curriculum Vitae

Bayrsan - Personal

Baahsan - Impersonal (but can have different meanings)

Haatu   

Magoog - this means to create something from nothing

from this word we get the term:

Suugaan magoogasho - Imaginative Literature

Haatu;972258 wrote:
If I go first, I posted these on the Cantarabaqash thread but I'll post them here again.

what?

you're making words up, inaar. naga daa ciyaarta. :cool:

Khadafi   

Alpha Blondy;972262 wrote:
what?

you're making words up, inaar. naga daa ciyaarta. :cool:

lool... iska hadal? Is that a word for when a bored author just writes random things? Haatu never heard of that word but if you made it up you have to come up with a better word. Iska-hadal literally (talk from yourself) sounds so negatively charged and ego-centric.

What about "Nololkashakayn". ?

Maqane   

Haatu is actually right. Iskahadal means to tell something about yourself or to talk automatically like a robot (i.e the famous msn blabla) but this can't be formally used when writing a bio!

Iskahadal = tell something about yourself (summarize your bio )

Haatu;972258 wrote:

Qofkahadal - Biography

Qofkawarran - Curriculum Vitae

Bayrsan - Personal

Baahsan - Impersonal (but can have different meanings)

Weligeey ma maqal.

Tariikh Nooleed = Biography/Autobiography

Haatu   

The problem with Somalis is that if they can't understand something they think it must be wrong. As I said earlier, most of these words I got from reading old Somali books that were printed in the 70s and 80s. The two particular words which caused some confusion qofkahadal and iskahadal are legit words with the meanings that I have stated. I got them from this book 'Habqoraalka Sheekada Gaaban':

http://webapp1.dlib.indiana.edu/metsnav/general/navigate.do?oid=VAA3479&pn=10&size=screen

If you want to double check, use this onlice dictionary (although it's not exhaustive as it doesn't have some words eg. iskahadal):

http://www.afmaal.com/dictionary/

Allow nimaan wax ogayn ha cadaabin.

Haatu   

Classified;972281 wrote:
The
sharmuto
drinks her
Isbarmuuto
:D

If you want to troll, go elsewhere. One, the first word is not a rare word and is actually offensive, against the rules of the site. The second word I don't think is even Somali. Now get lost, you've had your 2 minutes in the limelight.

Haatu;972386 wrote:
The problem with Somalis is that if they can't understand something they think it must be wrong. As I said earlier, most of these words I got from reading old Somali books that were printed in the 70s and 80s. The two particular words which caused some confusion
qofkahadal
and
iskahadal
are legit words with the meanings that I have stated. I got them from this book 'Habqoraalka Sheekada Gaaban':

If you want to double check, use this onlice dictionary (although it's not exhaustive as it doesn't have some words eg. iskahadal):

Allow nimaan wax ogayn ha cadaabin.

Haatu, waa runtaal, laakinse waxaa laga yaabaa micnihii ama sidii wakhtigaas loo is ticmaali jiray inuu is badalay.

Qofkahadal + Iskahadal , Micnooyin kale ayee hada leeyihiin oo kaduwan waxii aad buugaagtii 1980's akhrisay ahaa.

Iskahadal = Qof aan waxaan faa'ido laheen ka hadlo. :)

'Waraa, ma aragtay yarkii xalay makhaayada fadhiyey? Wixisii waa Iska hadal

Haatu   

^^That's one of the original meanings. You have to remember iskahadal being autobiography is the result of eraybixin as it did not originally exist in the Somali language. The word iska can have a few meanings from what I understand. The one you mentioned yacni iska hadal and one denoting something personal e.g. iska-wax-uqabso self help and iskahadal autobio. yacni adaa iska hadlaysaa.