Sign in to follow this  
Tillamook

The Conflict in the Shabeeloyinka?

^

Oh, Xaaji, why do you sound so bitter? Is it the blunt straightforwardness of my rebuttal that has humiliated you? I don't know why my mentioning the unfortunate epidemic taking place on Hargaysa streets would upset you so, Xaaji-- After all, it is indeed a serious problem which requires immediate attention from the Silanyo administration. Or could it be something else that pains you so? Like the visible successes of the Puntland Marine forces against the piracy problem, which of late, has become almost negligible for fewer incidences of piracy are being reported off the Puntland coastline each year thanks to the robust efforts of Mudane Faroole's administration.

I only wish the same could be said of Silanyo regarding the shameful predicament you face in your neck of the woods.

^

Maaddeey, dhurwaa cune:

Suaashaada diyaar baan u ahay inaan kaaga jawaabo, laakin hadaan meeshaan kusoo qoro dadka dega carigaas nin Macruuf la dhaho oo shaqo la'aantii ka badatay ayaa masaxi doona ee bal xal u hel...:D

Tallaabo   

Tillamook;971373 wrote:
^

Oh, Xaaji, why do you sound so bitter? Is it the blunt straightforwardness of my rebuttal that has humiliated you? I don't know why my mentioning the unfortunate epidemic taking place on Hargaysa streets would upset you so, Xaaji-- After all, it is indeed a serious problem which requires immediate attention from the Silanyo administration. Or could it be something else that pains you so? Like the visible successes of the Puntland Marine forces against the piracy problem, which of late, has become almost negligible for fewer incidences of piracy are being reported off the Puntland coastline each year thanks to the robust efforts of Mudane Faroole's administration.

I only wish the same could be said of Silanyo regarding the shameful predicament you face in your neck of the woods.

Saaxiib the problems of gangs and rape in Somaliland is out in the open and is being documented, analysed, and dealt with thanks to our increasingly progressive and sophisticated civil society and government institutions. No one in his or her right mind would say similar things do not take place in Puntland and elsewhere in the world, but that is where the similarities between Puntland and Somaliland end. In Somaliland we talk about our problems openly and loudly and as a result usually find effective solutions to address them but you guys have a primitive culture of sweeping them under the carpet hoping it goes away or stays there.

Carafaat   

Tallaabo;971449 wrote:
Saaxiib the problems of gangs and rape in Somaliland is out in the open and is being documented, analysed, and dealt with thanks to our increasingly progressive and sophisticated civil society and government institutions. No one in his or her right mind would say similar things do not take place in Puntland and elsewhere in the world, but that is where the similarities between Puntland and Somaliland end. In Somaliland we talk about our problems openly and loudly and as a result usually find effective solutions to address them but you guys have a primitive culture of sweeping them under the carpet hoping it goes away or stays there.

+1

Tallaabo;971449 wrote:

What you wrote is a whole load of rubbish...even though I will cut you some slack and give you credit for finally acknowledging that pedophilia is indeed a pervasive problem in your neck of the woods, but unfortunately you still want to sugarcoat the problem by making cheap statements like "the problem is being documented and being dealt with by the so-called progressive and sophisticated society", yet we don't see anyone in somaliland that has been brought before a court of law and where such crimes have been punished. In fact, the opposite is taking place, where the government is doing its very best to pretend that this is a non-issue.

There's a saying that goes some where along the lines of, "put up or shut up!". Marka, the government of somaliland should show us that they indeed take this problem seriously by simply prosecuting the men who commit these hedeous crimes, instead of relying on the so-called "sophistication" of your society!

Tallaabo   

Tillamook;971460 wrote:
What you wrote is a whole load of rubbish...even though I will cut you some slack and give you credit for finally acknowledging that pedophilia is indeed a pervasive problem in your neck of the woods, but unfortunately you still want to sugarcoat the problem by making cheap statements like "the problem is being documented and being dealt with by the so-called progressive and sophisticated society", yet we don't see anyone in somaliland that has been brought before a court of law and where such crimes have been punished. In fact, the opposite is taking place, where the government is doing its very best to pretend that this is a non-issue.

There's a saying that goes some where along the lines of, "put up or shut up!". Marka, the government of somaliland should show us that they indeed take this problem seriously by simply prosecuting the men who commit these hedeous crimes, instead of relying on the so-called "sophistication" of your society!

NAIROBI, 16 December 2009 (IRIN) - The number of reported rapes in camps for internally displaced persons (IDPs) in Bosasso, in Somalia's self-declared autonomous region of Puntland, is increasing and rape has become "a major problem", says a civil society source.

"We are seeing more and more women who have been raped in the displaced camps," said Hawa Ali Jama, of We Are Women Activists (WAWA), an NGO.

"We have recorded 30 women raped in October 2009 and 45 in November,” she said. These numbers did not reflect the actual number of raped women, because many did not report it, she said, for two reasons. First, the family may not want the case to be reported "because they are afraid that it will reflect badly on them". Second, the woman may be afraid the perpetrator may come back and harm her or her family.

Jama said there were at least 24 IDP camps in Bosasso and rape cases had been reported in most.

She said rapes were committed either by men from the host community or other IDPs. Among the IDPs there were men who took a fancy to a girl and wanted to marry her but if they were rejected, “he may return at night to rape her; he will then be forced to marry her, according to tradition. That was his aim all along."

Unsafe haven

Many of the displaced fled violence in the south, particularly the Somali capital, Mogadishu.

Ambro (not her real name) came to Bosasso, the commercial capital of Puntland, in 2005, seeking a safe haven for her family.

A month ago her teenage daughter was attacked near the IDP camp that is their new home in Bosasso while Ambro was out finding work in the town.

"It was around 11:30am when a young man raped my girl," the 35-year-old mother of five said. "He tied her up and then raped her." By the time the mother returned she found her daughter bleeding.

Photo: Wikimedia Commons

WAWA staff took her to the doctor. "She is recovering now but it is hard for a young girl to recover from something like this," said Ambro.

“I never thought it would happen here. It was for fear of something like this happening that I fled Mogadishu," she explained. "It seems no place is safe for us.”

Breaking the silence

In the same month and in the same IDP camp two men raped a young girl.

"These people survive on very little and they supplement it with work they find in the town. Now they are afraid that when they go to find work they may get raped," Jama said, adding that it was becoming one of the biggest security concerns for the women.

Jama said her group and others working with the displaced had started a campaign to encourage women to report cases of rape. "We have volunteers in the camps who interact with the women and encourage them to come forward." Her group was providing counselling and medical help.

The authorities are also taking the matter more seriously. "We have a very good relationship with the local authorities and once we identify the culprit they are arrested and taken to court."

The volunteers and staff stay with the survivors throughout the process. "We are there with them until the rapist is brought to court and convicted. This has encouraged more women to come forward," she said.

A campaign of awareness to encourage families to abandon the tradition of hiding rape cases has helped to "break the silence”, she said.

"We will keep fighting until we put a stop to these violations," said Jama.

Ambro said she did not know what she would do now. "I cannot take my children back to Mogadishu, because it is not safe but I don’t feel safe here either. At least here I have the support of the people like WAWA."

ah/mw

http://www.irinnews.org/report/87453/somalia-rape-a-major-problem-for-bosasso-idps

Tallaabo   

At least the gangs in Hargeisa don't prey upon only the vulnerable refugees from the South but attack any woman they can find.

Tallaabo;971468 wrote:
At least the gangs in Hargeisa don't prey upon only the vulnerable refugees from the South but attack any woman they can find.

What a sad thing to brag about..

I always knew it would be to good to be true for you guys to do something tangible about your problem without resorting to some sort of fingerpointing. Tallaabo, qawdhanyada macquulka ah, oo cagliga u saaxiibka ah, inaad ka mid ahayd baan ku mooday laakin, it wasn't meant to be:D

it baffles the mind that you'd distinguish between women in camps of the displaced, as opposed to those women roaming the streets of somaliland.So with that disgusting mentality, the rape of any woman in somaliland is fairgame as long as said women does not live in a "refugee" camp, right?

Caqli saliid macsaro waaxid!:D

Taleexi   

nuune;971326 wrote:
Hadaan ku dhahey fitnada jooji oo dadka magacyaha maldahan aad ugu wici jooji ma hiilis baa, cuqdadlow waaxid, cuqdada kuguma aanan aqoon ee si isku dhaan Xaaji Xeyraan, name calling and discrediting people is not wax nin weyn ku hadla, si isku dhaan niyahow

Anaa kaa aqaan oo Xaaji ammaan bay ka tahay :)