Sign in to follow this  
Xaaji Xunjuf

A funny film yet true about the union of Somalia and Somaliland 1960

Some people actually hold the narrative of this video to be a true depiction of Somali history. That is just sad! This video is offence on so many levels that the less said the better.

Mustafe   

Loool Its hilarious, not to mention an apt description of what happened in the former republic. Well, there were minor changes and ammendments to suit the riwaayad, such as substituting southern Somalia for a hospital and its people troublesome patients, - lol,- but otherwise everything else was on point. The quality of the video on the other hand was reall really bad.

1. This riwayaad makes sweepng generalisations about southerners

2. It is a xenophobic propaganda designed to sow permanent division.

3. It is insanely conspiratorial

4. It creates and plays to a collective sense of victimhood (somalilanders)

Apart from that it is an excellent riwaayad.

But this is exactly how it went, whether one was a victim was irrelevant, there were always divisions no one can deny that telling the truth does not mean propaganda. Maybe there is a bit of generalization but they are only making a generalization on the political elites of Somalia not the actual people. All in all good film they should do another one but than with better quality.

Haatu   

Xaaji Xunjuf;970978 wrote:
But this is exactly how it went, whether one was a victim was irrelevant, there were always divisions no one can deny that telling the truth does not mean propaganda. Maybe there is a bit of generalization but they are only making a generalization on the political elites of Somalia not the actual people. All in all good film they should do another one but than with better quality.

Xaaji, you remember how I used to be a Unionist and centralist? Well I have come a long way. I believe that Somalis made a fatal error in 1960 by ignoring the way their society was structured. How could they expect people that lived in semi-independent tribal fiefdoms to form a unitary sate just like that without any problems?

PS: What's the song at the beginning they sing. I've heard it before but don't know it.

Haatu;971094 wrote:
PS: What's the song at the beginning they sing. I've heard it before but don't know it.

It is one of the best and most famous song for independence 1960 Mohamed ahmed Kuluc:

dhaxaan muragiyo haraad mudanee

Maantay curatoy mataaneeysee ( twins for HArgeisa and mogadisho)

Aan maalo hasheena Maandeeq.