Sign in to follow this  
GAROODI

Now that the UK government has banned khat will British Somalis fix up?

GAROODI   

Good on the people who got it banned. Somalis in the UK will youth change once the ban comes into effect?

" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

Somalia   

Tallaabo;969868 wrote:
The clues are in the Netherlands and other countries which banned the drug before the UK did it.

It's so obvious. :eek:

GAROODI   

Saalax;969870 wrote:
So what happened in Netherlands, what is the employment rate for Somalis there.

Good question I have no idea what goes on in Netherlands. Lakin from what I seen of Dutch Somalis they are worse then British Somalis. They all ran to London as well after the Dutch ban I think. No more chat in UK, Europe or North America so the next exodus will be towards Africa. Somalis in Britiain khat has finished them off.

GAROODI   

From what I read it will be class c drug but if caught with it to many times it will lead to fines and jail which is excellent. Good job conservatives

GAROODI   

They should ban it Somaliland and Somalia. Ethiopia and Kenya getting rich off our backs. Hard currency for leaves absolute disgrace. We might as well burn our money. In yemen they chew so much there is a shortage of water. The Yemeni live off it.

Good! There's no need for such a harmful drug in the U.K. anyways! Serious shaqola'animo with these Somali men who spend HOURS of their day chewing that useless plant. This is how drugs can easily destroy a generation of men

It will increase gang violence as they will start selling these drugs in Somali areas. Yemenis are actually better than Somalis when it comes to Qat, they can live a normal live and chew Qat. So they will say Friday night we meet up and chew for 5 hours.

Somalis though that chew Qat, are the most useless human beings in the UK all night every night chewing, next day in cafes.

it'll make the situation worse since the khat price will increase it will cost like 20-50 pounds/marduuf since people gonna smuggle it. So it will do even more damage to the family's economy, just look at sweden and other places

Khadafi   

Cambuulo totally agree with you. The war on drugs is a lost one. Like it or not people will always use narcotics. What we need to do is regulate the substance not ban it. Here in Sweden the drug is banned but somalis still use it. The price of a marduush is though very expensive. If your addicted to khat and use it daily in Sweden , it means that your economical broke.

I am in no way defending drug use but if they banned khat why not ban alcoho l? . We all agree that alcohol is a much more dangerous drug. I don't know but I smell racist attitudes for the reason they banned khat.

That's not a good enough argument. You seem to think that eliminating the drug is the objective here, when realistically it's not.

Obviously it is impossible to completely remove drugs from the society, but prohibiting the drug itself would do a lot of good and bring a lot of benefits to the society. For example, stealing cars is illegal in all countries, but of course there are still some people who steal cars and commit other types of crimes. The objective of a law is to limit the occurrence of the action itself, not to eliminate it. Eliminating anything is impossible, especially when it comes to a country of millions of people. There will always be heroin-usage, bank robberies, rape and other such actions in society--but does this mean we should start legalizing all these activities?

The Somalis here in the USA and in Canada chew Khat....but they don't chew Khat nearly as often as their British counterparts. Some British Somalis spend most of their free time chewing this disgusting drug, and the Government prohibiting it is the first step in limiting their intake of the drug.

Khat costs over $100 a bundle here in North America (because it's illegal, and thus risky) but Khat is extremely cheap in Britain (because it's perfectly legal, and not risky). So that's why British Somalis are more likely to use Khat when comparing them to Canadian or American Somalis. Once Khat becomes illegal in Britain, the price of the drug will increase dramatically (due to a shortage of supply), and this will limit the amount of Somalis taking this drug.

It's simple supply-and-demand. Once you cut off the supply, the price goes up and then the demand falls dramatically. Khat has ruined enough Somali families and we've seen what legalization has done to the British Somali community. Maybe it's time they try a different approach

If 10 000 British Somali men chew Khat regularly, and as a result of this new law, 6 000 of them quit chewing this despicable drug (because of the high costs)....then we have only 4 000 Somali Khat addicts to worry about. That in itself is a victory. Society should do whatever's possible to limit the usage of the drug, and the best way to limit Khat-usage is to make it illegal (and thus make it super expensive, making it unaffordable to the average Somali man)

One of my Mirqaan friends told me most of the Khat (Garaabo) in the U.S is smuggled from Britain. I wonder how this bann would effect the Khat chewers here in the U.S. :)