Sign in to follow this  
Mad_Mullah

When Somalia had honour - get your tears ready.

Operations in Mozambique, Rhodesia and Zambia

During their early communist phase, Siad Barre and his military junta were initially quite supportive of various anti-colonial movements. Barre was the only head of state to attend Mozambique's independence celebrations. Along with fellow communists the Soviet Union and Cuba, Barre also sent martial reinforcements to assist the government of Samora Machel against Rhodesian and Portuguese forces. Rhodesian guerrillas in Maputo at the time "bragged to Portuguese correspondents that Somali tanks will be used in future operations against Ian Smith’s forces.[40]

In their struggle against the Rhodesians, Zambia appealed to other African countries for military support. On 27 June 1977, President Kenneth David Kaunda speaking to a crowd of Zambians in Lusaka announced that Somalia's armed forces were prepared to aid his country against the Rhodesians.[41] Somali Air Force pilots stood on standby to fly Zambian MiGs in case of a war.[42]

*** And here comes the big one:

"The Somali–Soviet Union friendship and later partnership with the United States enabled Somalia to build the largest mechanised army on the continent."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_history_of_Somalia

^

That is what happens when you amass power, and neglect to build institutions of governance that can ensure equality and justice for all your citizens.

Haatu   

Tillamook;968098 wrote:
^

That is what happens when you amass power, and neglect to build institutions of governance that can ensure equality and justice for all your citizens.

Or when brain-dead, clan-infested morons lead your country.

I believe with all my heart that it wasn't just Qabeelism that destroyed Somalia, yes it was the source, but I think Ethiopia had something to do with it. Think about it, your neighbors are one of the strongest powers of Africa. What do you do? As soon as you see militias popping up here and there you send them money, a lot of money to destabilize the nation, you then keep sponsoring them until it becomes a failed state like in Somalia.

ANWAR   

Mad_Mullah;968165 wrote:
I believe with all my heart that it wasn't just Qabeelism that destroyed Somalia, yes it was the source, but I think Ethiopia had something to do with it. Think about it, your neighbors are one of the strongest powers of Africa. What do you do? As soon as you see militias popping up here and there you send them money, a lot of money to destabilize the nation, you then keep sponsoring them until it becomes a failed state like in Somalia.

I agree

GAROODI   

Mad_Mullah;968165 wrote:

Somalia supported the tplf Menez zenawi had a diplomatic Somali passport and lived in mugdisho yet Ethioia today is stronger then ever while Somalia is a failed state why???

Sakata   

Haatu;968135 wrote:
Or when brain-dead, clan-infested morons lead your country.

:)War kadaa dee dalka dhulka halagalin

Garoodi Because the Tigrayan peoples liberation front and the Eritrean peoples liberation front had a plan the Somali rebel movements had no clear plan, thats why Ethiopia is standing today and Somalia is under the mercy of African union troops and religious zealots and pirates. Neighboring countries had their interests in the Somali republic but only Somalis can be blamed for their own shortcomings and their bad policies and their zerosum clanish politics.

Somalis are emotionally driven and cannot build anything only know how to destroy.

Taleexi   

Xaaji Xunjuf;968187 wrote:
Somalis are emotionally driven and cannot build anything only know how to destroy.

Mudane Xaaji Xunjuf being the exception.

Tallaabo   

Mad_Mullah;968167 wrote:
What I don't get is what happened to all the airplanes/tanks etc.?

They are on display in Hargeisa:D