Sign in to follow this  
Oz

Champions League 09/10

Abtigiis   

The ref gave an off-side early on against Inter. And the penalty claim from Alves was not convincing. The commentators went at length to see any contact and all agreed that Alves went down easily.

Anyway, predictions are not your mistake. I respect Ngonge, partly because he is my friend, but mainly because his analysis are good. In football, you cannot predict results easily. Too many factors affect a game. A weather condition, pitch, refree, one player's misconduct etc etc. But, your problem is that you give no credible reasons for your predictions.

Now, that you say Barcelona will win the second leg, my heart is broken because I fear the opposite. I pray I am wrong and you are right this time and Barca goes through. But, your predictions are ominous! Inter could be going to the finals to play Lyon!

Let us examine your reasons one by one:

- Poor pitch: how do you know? Barca were able to pass the ball very easily. I haven't seen one player slip and there were no bounces that were unusual.

- Silly biased referee: apart from the two issues you raised (off-side goal and penalty denied) what else has he done? I think he denied a clear opportunity to Inter when he called a wrong off-side at the start of the game!

- Barca penalty: video replays showed the absence of contact. it seemed penalty but at closer inspection, Alves went down easily. But, how often does this happen in games? Is it not part of the game?

- Milito goal: marginally off-side, but you can't take away from the build-up. Again, it happens everytime. You can't make this a big issue.

Somalina   

I dont know if it's fatigue or something else, Barca didn't show up against Espanyol and Inter matches. It is really sad to see a great team defeated.

Oz   

AT&T, Zanetti is brilliant, he will still be playing at 40 at this current rate, he is super consistent and for all the attacking prowess at Inter who get all the plaudits he continues to be Inter's best and most consistent player, never puts a foot wrong, heres hoping that Maradona gives him one more major international tournament in South Africa this summer, the guy deserves it he is a legend of calcio.

This was Barca's worst defeat ever since Guardiola took over. I think its too quick to write them off and critise their defense and all that just by this one game where Inter really played brilliantly. The tactics were spot on and Barca didnt react or knew how to. Im sure Barca will be much much improved in the second leg though, but I really fear Inter can be tight and dangerous on the counter, can they really win it this season?

Mario-Balotelli-in-ac-milan-top1.jpg

Balloteli holding ac Milan shirt. :D

N.O.R.F   

A&T,

I didn’t give reasons for my predictions. One doesn’t need to always give a full detailed explanation as to why so and so will win. It’s usually based on recent form and recent history. On both counts Barca win and Inter lose.

The pitch was holding the ball up and was bumpy. San Siro pitches are relayed numerous times every year. Barca could do their slick passing and when they did breach the Inter backline the ball bounce up with the full back unable to put in a decent early ball (note Alves, Maxwell and Abidal chances to cross the ball only to half scuff it). Pique failed to control the ball in good positions because it was bouncing all over the place. Bolatelli's wayward pass etc. Don't worry, I would'nt expect you to notice such minute footballing details icon_razz.gif

The ref was blowing for every time an Inter player went down and ignored Barca’s legitimate calls for free kicks. Xavi was upended a few times on the edge of the box only to be ignored. Alves was tapped on the ankle by Schnieder. He went down. It WAS a penalty. Pique got booked for a legitimate challenge when he got the whole ball.

The Milito goal was offside. I knew it straight away. The commentators knew it straight away.

They were hard done by BUT the creates enough chances to win the game. Things will be different at the camp nou.

Ps fulayahow give us a prediction.

Abtigiis   

recent form and recent history?????? That is my issue with you. IT IS NOT!

It is about styles and the minute-by-minute form of the players on the ground.

Argentina beat Germany 1-0 last month. Does that mean they will beat them in the World Cup? If you follow recent form and history, the answer is YES. And it exactly explains the pattern of your predictions.

My friend, the sooner you realise some teams find other team's way of playing difficult, and that styles matter, the better. Uruguay has been an average side for many, many years. Yet, in all these times, Brazil always found them difficult to beat. Why? Because their style (pace, power and cracking down on key players) always slows down Brazil and confuses them. Germany has always been a solid team, but always seem average against Brazil.

Apart from style, it is also the on-the-field form of the players, not recent history that matters. Rooney has been great all season, but my not perform well at the World Cup.

N.O.R.F   

Waar naga daa your irrelevant comparisons. You’re implying my methodology is flawed when it isn’t. Your throwing in irrelevant comparisons between international teams who play each other once every 2 years at best and once every four if they’re lucky (Germany vs Argies). There will always be different players, tactics and different coaches involved.

Recent form means:

CL Group stage 2009/2010:

Inter 0 – 0 Barc (Barca dominated)

Barca 2 – 0 Inter (should have been more)

Now, over two pervious games this very same season with the very same players, tactics and coaches, Barca were the better team. Ma waxaas aad fahmi weyday?

NGONGE   

^^ That was in the group stages. It did not matter as much. Inter were still getting used to things. Last night was different. Kubbada baro. :D