Sign in to follow this  
Saalax

Britain builds £14m prison in Somalia to hold unruly scrap metal looters in Mogadishu

Saalax   

Britain builds £14m prison in Somalia

2QQBNYW.jpg

Rebuild ... the old prison in Somalia

Alamy

Sunday, June 23, 2013

BRITAIN is spending £14million on a jail to lock up terrorists and pirates — in Somalia.

Taxpayers’ money will also go to fund mobile criminal courts in lawless states currently plagued by al-Qaeda.

The prison in Mogadishu will ensure dangerous warlords are kept behind bars.

It will also make it easier for Britain to deport foreign criminals and terror suspects.

More than 400 Somali criminals are in UK jails because there is nowhere to detain them back home in Africa.

International Development Secretary Justine Greening is splashing out to rebuild the Somali capital’s 180-year-old prison, which will hold 700.

But she risks a row about Britain’s overseas aid spending as it is protected from cuts.

Somalia — scene of Hollywood movie Black Hawk Down — is fighting al-Qaeda terror groups and pirates who prey on UK ships and tourists.

Ms Greening said: “By building jail places and courts in Somalia we can help our African allies challenge terror and crime on their own doorstep so less ends up on ours.”

Source: The Sun

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/4980128/Britain-builds-14m-prison-in-Somalia-to-cage-terrorists-and-pirates.html

Saalax   

Scrap metal looters is the nickname for Mogadishu criminals as they famously looted most of the scrap

metal in Mogadishu starting in early 1991 to 2006... Among the Somalis.

Marksman   

Does this mean this '180 year old prison' is no longer a national historic landmark? So people can't use it for tours & education in the future?

This look like a heritage site with a lot of history. Better make a prison elsewhere.

GAROODI   

When people came to the new world (America) the first thing they built was a church the second a prison. Justice is what keeps society in line and a police force enforces that. I don't see the point of prisons if there is no judiciary or effective police. People will just be thrown into prison.

Aaliyyah   

I thought this was good news till I read the line abt deporting foreign criminals. So they want to ship more than 400 Somali criminals to Somalia? Imagine if canada and America also follows suit. This is nightmare.

somalee   

It's not the facility that's important here, its the whole criminal justice system that needs to be changed. Inmates will easily pay their way out, or the authorities will be lenient on 'Laandheere' members and members of certain clans. What's the point of spending millions on a prison facility when the rest of the system is rotten?

Saalax   

Aaliyyah;963729 wrote:
I thought this was good news till I read the line abt deporting foreign criminals. So they want to ship more than 400 Somali criminals to Somalia? Imagine if canada and America also follows suit. This is nightmare.

USA and Canada already started deporting criminals to Mogadishu, I remember reading back few months ago some Somalis from Minnesota and Toronto were deported there.

Aaliyyah   

Saalax;963779 wrote:
USA and Canada already started deporting criminals to Mogadishu, I remember reading back few months ago some Somalis from Minnesota and Toronto were deported there.

I know that Salax but not in mass numbers.

Saalax   

True, I always knew Britain had a hidden motive in getting close to Culusow's regime. Anyway waan ku salaamay walal hope you doing well.

Aaliyyah   

Britian always has a hidden motive regardless of who they are dealing with. Salaanta wan ka qadey, hope the same for you.

Saalax   

The trick is to be steps ahead of them.Aaliyyah Isn't it coincidence we're getting friendlier ahead of 26 June :D .

Sakata   

Who ever pays the bills runs the house. If Somalis want to see a solution in Somalia, dig in your own pockets and pay your bills indiscriminately to your government. Then and only then could there be a lasting peace in Somalia. Lets stop whingeing about others and their interests in Somalia, lets face it we need to make a choice here - can we run our home or will they do it for us?