Sign in to follow this  
Carafaat

Xamar War Memorial

MoonLight1;963552 wrote:
. here is my bright idea of how somalis can reconcile.

1) vacate all properties looted.

2) establish a Nuremberg court like system. start from Gen Morgan and Dahir Rayale.

3) establish a true peace and reconciliation committee and bring victims and assailants together.

If these steps are followed then I am sure we will have a harmonious nation. if not I can garantee you even if you build Liberty status and the ifiel tower it will do nothing. Magaratay inaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar.

Good points agree 100%

MoonLight1;963552 wrote:
06052013153610.jpg

waryaarahee we know who is filled with cuqdad and hate, if a status can cure a nation it would've cured you lot who wish death and destruction for Somalia and its people. tell me how a concrete slab will help the people of Mogadishu, just tell me plz. here is my bright idea of how somalis can reconcile.

1) vacate all properties looted.

2) establish a Nuremberg court like system. start from Gen Morgan and Dahir Rayale.

3) establish a true peace and reconciliation committee and bring victims and assailants together.

If these steps are followed then I am sure we will have a harmonious nation. if not I can garantee you even if you build Liberty status and the ifiel tower it will do nothing. Magaratay inaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar.

everything requires careful judgment, some semblance of balance and mostly importantly a compromise of 'give' and 'take'. we all have our grievance balse what you're asking for is ludicrous and beyond impossible. go back to the drawing boards and come up with something a little more practical, inaar. these 'looted properties' of yours were given as patronage by gullwade Siyaad to his cronies. if you want a historical lesson, i'm more than happy to discuss the 'validity' and extent to which you were owners of these ''looted properties''. today, there is a demographic change in Mogadishu and the reality must reflect the situation on the ground. secondly, there is absolutely no need to establish war tribunals. we are have a 'geed hoosti' traditional justice based on forgiveness. and finally, i do however agree with you on the ''truth and reconciliation committees to bring victims and assailants together''.

i'm very proud of what the MIG stands for, nor do i have any politically correct misgivings of what it symbolise maanta. i've actually being lobbying dowlada hoose hargeisa to permanently cast it into iron. its falling apart, you see. it has the potential to become a proper national monument - permanent, symbolic and unyielding.....ma garatay?

somalee   

That will mean an acknowledgment of atrocities committed, which will also mean the willingness to return looted properties.

what an !diotic suggestion, he is telling me to forget my hard earned property and instead staring on a MiG fuselage will heal me.... and then hanky dory...happy ending. What a load of Marqaan Cantarbaqash. war heedhe stick to your little triangle and let the southerns solve their problems as you don't have the comprehension and the brains to enlighten us.

^^ You should not get angry with him he just told you what your president said before that you should forget about the old properties. And start a new alive but i think koonfurians are not able to solve their problems. For the past 22 years no progress they created a constitution all signed but they still cant agree on the piece of paper they signed.

Yunis;963545 wrote:
^^^waryaada separatists, why the need for these wisdom of peace structures and olive branch shaped monuments? Last time I knew there was MiG 15 mounted a top of cardboard box and a commemorating tank at sidewalk in Hargaisa. Sadaqo begins at home, shouldn’t you embark such enterprise there first.

That cardboard MiG jet hoisted in Hargaysa is NOT a war memorial but rather an cuqdad memorial erected by base politicians intent on arousing unending hostility in the populace of the north.

The fighter jet is just a war memorial since Hargeisa was carpet bombed by Somalias past government. There is nothing Cuqdad about it there is no need for hostilities as long as the 2 countries can live side by side based on equality and justice. Somaliland and Somalia are brotherly countries but in order to have coexistence we need to understand the past so that we can have a prosperous future indeed.

Sakata   

I think every Tribe/clan/subclan/subsub clan should create there own war monument so that we can all play the victim card. We are all stuck in this boat because no one wants to give up an inch to move on. i say repent to Allah and quit victimizing your selfs you are all guilty because you belong to a QABIL we went from USX,SDX GGA AND SO'NSO TO AL THIS AND AL-THIS THAT and NOW ADD ANYTHING TO ---LAND AND IT BECOMES A COUNTY SUBHANNALLAH....

Vsabba;963612 wrote:
I think every Tribe/clan/subclan/subsub clan should create there own war monument so that we can all play the victim card. We are all stuck in this boat because no one wants to give up an inch to move on. i say repent to Allah and quit victimizing your selfs you are all guilty because you belong to a QABIL we went from USX,SDX GGA AND SO'NSO TO AL THIS AND AL-THIS THAT and NOW ADD ANYTHING TO ---LAND AND IT BECOMES A COUNTY SUBHANNALLAH....

+1.

1292223254212-dumpfm-mario-Obamaclap.gif

Carafaat   

Tillamook, Yunis, That plane is a War Memorial and it served it purpose of remembering what has happened in 1988, learning from the past, rebuild and moving on in peace. And that is exactly what people in Hargeysa have done. You dont see anyone asking compensation for destroyed properties nor for pay back. Fyi, there a more of yhese war memorials in SL.

Moonlight, the Goverment is rebuilding some of the old statues of Xamar and I think its important to add one that marks a new beginning. Yes, reconciliation is a state of mind and positive symbolic gestures can contribute to peace state of mind.

Vsabba, I dont think you have to agree on a single memorial. I dont see why you cant have one that commemorates for the victims of clan warlords, victims of AL Shabaab and the victims of the previous goverments, etc. The most important thing is closure if the past and not keeping old wounds open and inject in every political debate. Just listen to political debates and how old wounds of looted properties and other tragegdies are injected in the discussion about federalism.

Somalee, I absolutely agree with you that acknowledging atrocities committed can contribute to solving many of the current politucal deadlocks in Somalia.

Jacpher, The war has come to an end. There is no single clan fighting another, nor is there actual animosity between people. The current strive(except against Shabaab) is political and should not be confused with the civil war of the last 20years.

My point still stands, we need to acknowledge the atrocities committed in the past, remember it, learn from it and mark the end of an era. And hopefully this will contribute to the start of a new beginning,even if its for the sake of future generations.

Somalia   

MoonLight1;963583 wrote:
what an !diotic suggestion,
he is telling me to forget my hard earned property and instead staring on a MiG fuselage will heal me
.... and then hanky dory...happy ending. What a load of Marqaan Cantarbaqash. war heedhe stick to your little triangle and let the southerns solve their problems as you don't have the comprehension and the brains to enlighten us.

:D

Carafaat   

Just found this info on Peace paintings in mogadishu. Its modest good start.

http://peace.maripo.com/x_africa.htm

P A I N T I N G

Early 2012 - Painting of peace & war, Mogadishu (Somalia). By Somali artist Abdullah Abdirahman Abdullah Alif. "A teenage boy - half flesh, half skeleton - stands in the middle of the painting, one hand clutching a dove, the other a rifle. Behind him are two very different futures: verdant fields, juicy melons & pretty buildings versus flames, graves, vultures & fire. 'We made this real simple,' explained Mr. Alif. 'A young boy is the backbone of society, & we want young boys to look at this & understand they have a choice right now, death & destruction or peace.' Mr. Alif, 40, is part of a team of artists who just emerged from years in hiding & have been commissioned, by a Somali nonprofit group, for the respectable wage of $400 a month to make giant paintings promoting peace. Their work will be displayed on busy street corners, the two-dimensional equivalent of a public service advertisement in a society without many TVs. During the Shabab years, Mr. Alif had a price on his head for drawings that were deemed un-Islamic. When he finally fled his neighborhood, looters snatched his file cabinets housing all his artwork. 'Twenty-six thousand drawings,' he said. 'Gone.'"

Carafaat   

http://eastandard.net/needed-public-monument-for-somalia-war-heroes/

Needed: Public monument for Somalia war heroes

By*WAGA ODONGO

Posted* Monday, November 5* 2012*at* 02:00

IN SUMMARY

It is perfectly logical to place a war monument inside a military barracks, as our military chiefs did on October 14. However, I think that a monument to the soldiers of Operation Linda Nchi should have been placed in the capital city

The war started off illegally and unconstitutionally. Parliament only got round to agreeing to it when boots were in the mud and the boys in the trenches.

We joined the African Union Mission in Somalia long after crossing into Somalia. The haste to war was occasioned by increasing incursions into our territory — at least that was what we were told.

But wars can be justified retrospectively. Al-Shabaab had the weapons to attack us, the grievances against us, and the operatives in place. We keep finding their operatives brooding with intent and harbouring weapons caches throughout the country. Conflict was simply a matter of time.

General William Sherman of the Union forces during the American civil war said: “It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood for vengeance and for desolation.” Sherman did win the war, but he said war is hell.

There is a belief that we are good at war. We believe we are a martial people. The fable of a martial Kenya is even etched on our flag. We have a Maasai shield next to a brace of spears loudly declaring our eagerness to resort to force in defence of the realm.

There is even a smattering of blood on the flag to show the means by which we tell ourselves we gained independence. We also have a sliver of white to make sure the flag does not end up looking too bellicose.

However, on issues of territorial integrity, we have been supple and bent over backwards, such as when our ownership of Migingo Island was questioned.

Paradoxically, Kenya was, until 2007, an island of peace in a volatile region despite the fact that it was the one country that most famously took up arms against White oppression.

We have the most expensive army in the region; it cost us Sh64 billion last year to kit and feed these boys and girls, who have before been dismissed as paper tigers with milk teeth.

We had never tested their mettle until the Somalia incident, and so we were understandably eager to see how they would fare. It went as well as a war could go. But now the Amisom flag flies in Kismayu. The enemy dissolved into the populace. Mission accomplished. The hard job of rebuilding just beginning.

The Kenya Defence Forces have lost 26 men in the campaign so far. On KDF Day (October 14), they unveiled a monument in honour of these men. It was a battle cross for fallen soldiers.

A battle cross is a symbolic cross placed either at the barracks of a fallen soldier or the place at which he perished. It is made up of a helmet, a rifle, and a pair of boots.

The practice of putting a battle cross began during the American civil war, where it was used to identify the fallen soldiers. The rifle pointed downwards to represent a break in the hostilities to say a prayer for the fallen.

(Psst! Between you and me, I think soldiers should pray with their eyes open and their guns pointed forward). The helmet represents fallen heroes, the boots a soldier’s march to his last battle.

It is a metaphorical last stand of a soldier. Also, it could be thought of as an ode to a soldier’s kit. A soldier, while highly trained, is nowadays only as good as his kit. Any one of the three items on a battle cross could be the difference between one making it and turning up as a postscript in a statue’s plaque.

We have other monuments of soldiers in the country. Two on Kenyatta Avenue in Nairobi. There is also a monument in Mombasa at Mwembe Tayari. These are memorials to Africans who fought in both world wars.

No African really deserved to fight in what were far off Eurasian imperial squabbles over resources. Furthermore, no Kenyan was supposed to die in support of the most racist settler government in the British Empire. There is no greater insult than being asked to fight for someone who denies your humanity and does not look upon you as an equal.

The monument that was unveiled in the inaugural KDF day is dedicated to the “men and women” who paid the ultimate price in the campaign. However, a cursory glance at the names of the fallen soldiers reveals that the one-third gender rule was not in play.

Carafaat   

It doesnt have to be an object like a statue. For that would be an easy target for Al Shabaab. A memorial can be a park, hugh block of stones or even the name of a street or even a plaquette in the wall of a building. Think creative.