Sign in to follow this  
somalee

Giving your child an English/western name

man! bad advice abounds in this thread. Listen Somalee, what you name your child is hugely important. There is a whole freakonomics episode that you should really look into on how the name of applicants effects how they fair in the job market. Give your kid a african american name and you have damned your kid to an early, whats the word, howl-gab-nemo? Give him an Arabic name and you have guaranteed him constant and permanent "random checks" at airports and ports of entry which will probably give the kid life physiological issues and alienation. Give him a Somali name and you've handed him both on a silver platter. Exaggerations aside, play safe, go with something like Adam, Hanna, Sophia (Sophie if you wanna be hip). You hit all the right spots, career, English and arabic sounding name. All else fails, go the West African route and name the child names like goodluck, rejoice, godspeed, who can argue with names like that lol

somalee   

wyre;963211 wrote:
The name of the prophet was Ibrahim, Don't talk about something you don't know about sxb,

This goes to you and that character Nuune. The real name of the prophet wasn't Ibrahim, that's the arabic version of his name. His real name was Abaarahiim, which translates to ''Father of mercy''. But Allah has mentioned him in the Qur'an as Ibrahim instead.

nuune   

^^ Can you prove that he was called ABAARAHIIM, as you put it, why did Allah mentioned him as Ibrahim in the Quran, waiting for your answers.

Wadani   

warsamaale;963323 wrote:
ABRAHAM was a jew and thus his correct name would be Avram. to the poster, you can be original and authentic by naming somali names.

Abraham was neither a Jew nor an Arab, but was the progenitor of both.

The two most beloved names to Allah are Abdullah and Abdurahman. You can name your child whatever name you wish provided within the guidelines that Abbaas has posted.

I disagree, arabs claim descent through ishmael son of abraham but its fake and one of many fraudulent claims Arab make to make themselves look grand, they even claim the jewish temple and being descended from canaanites and jebusites.

Wadani   

warsamaale;963341 wrote:
I disagree, arabs claim descent through ishmael son of abraham but its fake and one of many fraudulent claims Arab make to make themselves look grand, they even claim the jewish temple and being descended from canaanites and jebusites.

Ur right considering that it was Ishmael who married into an Arab tribe from Yemen that had settled in modern day Saudi Arabia. But nonetheless, his descendents today form a large component of the Arab population of the said region.

Haatu   

Before you do anything drastic, just remember it's the kid that has to live with the name and not you. Name the kid some random white name and his Somali friends will take the piss and everyone back home. Name him a really strange Somali name, those white folks will constantly ask "how do you pronounce that". Give him an Arabic name and he/she just becomes another cliche. Go safe and go for Deeqow. I've always liked that name. If not, then Dalmar which means traveler is just as good.

somalee   

Thank you all for your replies. I just wanted to know generally if Islam is against English/Western names. I hate Abdi names, unless its joined with a name of Allah that's rarely used, Abdelbaqy, Abdelqudus etc sounds exotic.

somalee;963352 wrote:
Thank you all for your replies. I just wanted to know generally if Islam is against English/Western names. I hate Abdi names, unless its joined with a name of Allah that's rarely used, Abdelbaqy, Abdelqudus etc sounds exotic.

i bet you don't have kids. you're a complete and utter waste of time. you've wasted everybody's time and effort for a very basic ''run-of-the-mills'' sort of controversial topic.

somalee   

Alpha Blondy;963360 wrote:
i bet you don't have kids. you're a complete and utter waste of time. you've wasted everybody's time and effort for a very basic ''run-of-the-mills'' sort of controversial topic.

Lol, would've been better if I posted this in your cantrabaqash thread? You can still copy and paste it there.

xiinfaniin;963151 wrote:
In Gaalkacyo there was a famous man who named his children after Arab strongmen/kufaars:

Fircoon, Haamaan, and Abu Jahal.

Today some of those sons are leaving in the west with Somali names.

Ma Jaahilnima beey ka aheed or he was just being a galkacyaawi?-