Sign in to follow this  
somalee

Giving your child an English/western name

somalee   

Been wondering if naming your child David, Abraham, Moses etc is prohibited in Islam. Abraham is the English version and Ibrahim the Arabic one, but the real name of the prophet was neither Abraham nor Ibrahim. Similarly naming a child Guled or Geedi is only Somali and not Islamic. Since we are not Arabs, I might as well name him Joshua (Josh). Its not different than naming a Somali child Sacuud, Jamal etc. Unless of course there's clear proof in the Quran or the traditions of the prophet (Pbuh) that prohibit English/western/biblical names. Are there?

nuune   

It is difficult to understand your post:

Abraham is the English version and Ibrahim the Arabic one, but the real name of the prophet was neither Abraham nor Ibrahim.

What are you trying to say here

Since we are not Arabs, I might as well name him Joshua (Josh)

Explain here, again, your Somali, why Joshua, or Qoj

Its not different than naming a Somali child Sacuud, Jamal etc

Sacuud is Arabic, Jamal is arabic, again explain more detail about that line

Since we are not Arabs

We were never Arabs, we are Somalis, what are you trying to do here!

Are there?

What do you meanby this, on its own, from nowhere, it is not even connected to your post whatsoever

Been wondering if naming your child David, Abraham, Moses etc is prohibited in Islam

Here, explain please, you are not asking a question but just wondering around.

And finally, let the wife for names on the boy, you wait your turn in case there is a girl which I highly doubt in the coming years, it seems there will be 3 boys coming, and after 10 years, a girl, so you need to wait 10 years for your turn to name the girl.

Maqane   

somalee;963023 wrote:
Been wondering if naming your child David, Abraham, Moses etc is prohibited in Islam.Abraham is the English version and Ibrahim the Arabic one, but the real name of the prophet was neither Abraham nor Ibrahim.

According to Islam, it's not prohibited naming you children after "Abraham, e.t.c" because the converts keep that name when becoming a Muslim. As long as the name is not violating the rules (see link below)

http://islamqa.info/en/ref/7180/names

http://islamqa.info/en/search/name/AllWords/t,q,a

somalee;963023 wrote:
Similarly naming a child
Guled
or Geedi is only Somali and not Islamic.

Guuleed = guul

Geedi= traveler

You need to understand the difference between Somali and Arabic, it has nothing to do with Islam.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somali_language

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_language

somalee;963023 wrote:
Since we are not Arabs,

No, we're not Arabs and the Somalis who claim they are Arabs (mostly face bleachers, language and culture tweakers,lol, that i've witnessed before) lack since of knowledge. Maybe, if we trace our ancestors back then we might share the same DNA and we can't fully claim that we're Arabs but i believe we 're all still descended from common ancestors so do the Chineses, Caucasians, e.t.c (Human race).

somalee;963023 wrote:
I might as well name him Joshua (Josh).

Again, this has nothing to do with being Arab or Somali, it's more of religious issues "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joshua#Joshua_in_Islamic_history"

somalee;963023 wrote:
Its not different than naming a Somali child Sacuud, Jamal etc. Unless of course there's clear proof in the Quran or the traditions of the prophet (Pbuh) that prohibit English/western/biblical names. Are there?

You're asking "Religion based Questions" . So you need to understand the difference between "Religion and a Culture". You can read more about this on

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture

Culture is nothing but the lifestyle of people belonging to particular society. Religion is set of rules (custom) which makes people to have or follow particular lifestyle.

Oh, yeah, Wikipedia editor claimed that most Somalis speak Arabic which is totally wrong because there is no census conducted yet. Most of them are Sunni Muslims doesn't mean 99 percent of them speak Arabic. Let alone Arabic, i believe 70% percent of them hardly understand the meaning of the Qur'an.

5xtr.jpg

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

xh12.jpg

Hope that helps.

NGONGE   

This is how poeple end up blowing themselves up in the name of faith. Stop being trivial son and name your child whatever you like (within reason, which I fear you already probably lack).

Naga daaya dee.

I'm gonna slap you if I see a big headed farax child running around with the name Joshua. Ridiculous idea. Why not call him Kagawa? Me, I will dig deep into Islamic history and choose an original name like Baraa, Mucaawiyah, Sufyan etc.

Have to disagree with you there Abbaas, Arabic is an official language of Somalia, but due to there being years of civil war most people don't know it except Dugsi students.

But it was an official language and official documents were printed in Arabic, also a lot of Somalis understand Arabic due to Dugsi upbringing and the only accessible language is Arabic (= education, deen, and even entertainment)

Even in cafes you'll see that a lot are watching Arabic TV.

Of course it's not the same for people that grew up in the baadiyo as camel herders and refugees.

Wadani   

somalee;963023 wrote:
Been wondering if naming your child David, Abraham, Moses etc is prohibited in Islam. Abraham is the English version and Ibrahim the Arabic one, but the real name of the prophet was neither Abraham nor Ibrahim. Similarly naming a child Guled or Geedi is only Somali and not Islamic. Since we are not Arabs, I might as well name him Joshua (Josh). Its not different than naming a Somali child Sacuud, Jamal etc. Unless of course there's clear proof in the Quran or the traditions of the prophet (Pbuh) that prohibit English/western/biblical names. Are there?

Seems most here didn't understand your post. U are right that if one isn't going for an original Somali name or a name with religious significance, then there is no difference whether someone names his son 'Tyler' or 'Sacuud'. They are both foreign names to Somalis in both a cultural and religious sense. That's why I dislike the usage of non-Somali names unless they have a religious significance eg, names of Allah, Prophets and extremely important figures in Islamic history (like the Khulafaa ar-raashidiin).

Wadani   

Actually, it seems I may have been the one who misread ur post. Ur wondering wether it's ok to nams ones child with the Western rendition of names in the Bible/Quran. Eg. David vs Daauud. I'd just stick with the Quranic form personally, lest I be perceived as a self-hating immigrant who is over-eager to assimilate.

Maqane   

Mad_Mullah;963058 wrote:
Have to disagree with you there Abbaas, Arabic is an official language of Somalia, but due to there being years of civil war most people don't know it except Dugsi students. it was an official language and official documents were printed in Arabic, also
a lot of Somalis understand Arabic due to Dugsi upbringing
and the only accessible language is Arabic (= education, deen, and even entertainment)

Official language does not typically refer to the language used by a people or country, but by its government, ee taas losoco inaar and that doen't make people speak that language.

In Somalia the parents send their children in early age to dugsi to teach their children how to become the memorizer of the quran, and mostly those teachers hardly speak Arabic. From personal experience Dugsi aanan tagin Soomaaliya Majiro. From Aqwaan Al muslimiin who claim they teach the Quran probably by commending the girls to cover them up from face to toe and the Suufis (am not talking about the group) who claim they 're normal and just teach the Quran instead of explaining The Deen itself". They both share one or 2 common things and that's how to teach blindly and beat up the student from the so called "Shaydaan" !

Mad_Mullah;963058 wrote:

Even in cafes you'll see that a lot are watching Arabic TV.

Again, Most Somalis back home watch Hindi (bollywood movies translated in Somali) more than Musalsal ! unless you're talking about your neighbours oo Diishka u xeran ama kuwa Dibada jooga :rolleyes:

Mad_Mullah;963058 wrote:

Of course it's not the same for people that grew up in the baadiyo as camel herders and refugees.

:D I don't get this!

Coofle   

Soomaaleee,,,Name your kids after your grandfathers....Rooble, Sharmaarke, Samakaab, Samatar, Hodan, Hoodo, etc...... Waa hadii aadan doonayn Magacyada carabeed...Personally I will name them Cabdi-something, or Maxamed,,,anything else is somali names...

Aaliyyah   

Somalee as already pointed out converts get to keep their names after they convert. As long as the name means something good I doubt there is an issue to it. But, bottom line it is about intentions? ma gaalada ka dhawaanasa markaad magac gaalo ilmahaga u bixinasid? mise you simply like the name?

My advice stick to Somali or Arabic names. I have seen Somali kids with English names, it simply doesn't suit them.

ElPunto   

^Why Arabic names? Is there something noteworthy about adopting this cultures' naming practices as opposed to other cultures? - Axlaam, Najaax, and other BS baa nacay

And the thing is we don't even live in Arab countries. Go for Joshua or Seth or whatever makes you happy.

How hard can it be to find a name for your baby? Com'on now! Waar forget about these Arab, Somali or Western names, go for Japanese, Indian or Srilankan. I found those names kind of nice. Yukumoto, Kwasaki, Aravinda, Chandrakant, Balamugunthan, Sakhtipriyanah... If these don't suit you well, go for Jupiter or Microsoft...;)

Maqane   

Gheelle.T;963083 wrote:
How hard can it be to find a name for your baby? Com'on now! Waar forget about these Arab, Somali or Western names, go for Japanese, Indian or Srilankan. I found those names kind of nice. Yukumoto, Kwasaki, Aravinda, Chandrakant, Balamugunthan, Sakhtipriyanah... If these don't suit you well, go for
Jupiter or Microsoft
;)

LOOOL Gheelle :D