Sign in to follow this  
GaraadMon

Somali-Canadian community leaders have some nerve blasting police

TORONTO - It takes some nerve to put the blame for the failings of one’s own community on police when it is those brave men and women who prevented a disgusting situation from becoming deadly.

But that’s what some so-called Somali-Canadian community leaders were trying to push Tuesday in the wake of Project Traveller.

“After the raids, many Somalian community members felt victimized and traumatized as a result of the reckless manner in which the officers forcibly entered their homes,” community activist Mahad Yusuf told a news conference.

“The community members are angry about the destruction of their property, the disrespectful comments made by police and the police brutality.”

Really?

How about all the lives they saved?

How about the 42 guns seized and the Taser?

How about the 100 rounds of ammunition?

How about the $3 million in deadly drugs found near the playgrounds?

How about the dismantling of vicious street gangs?

How about the 44 arrests and 220 charges?

How about a “thank you” for the Toronto Police?

That’s what should have come Tuesday.

Instead, for ending the building up of a war cache, all police got was spit on.

At least Toronto Police, and the other agencies prepared to risk their own lives, did their part to stop this.

Yusuf told reporters residents felt there was “excessive force” used.

What the hell does that mean? There were almost four dozen guns in these buildings.

How do you approach that reality if you are police?

Also, there is a murder investigation under way and there have been three dozen young Somalia-born men slain in Canada in the past three years.

Why do the social pariahs who deem themselves the 'leaders' of the Somali community, scurry their way in to radio shows and other mediums after an already negative, highly publicized event like the Dixon raids?

The community leaders didn't go to radio stations - they rightly held a press conference. The dawn terror raids was very stressful against some of our ayeeyooyin iyo waalidiinta kale. Handcuffing and harrassing 96-year olds and 62-year-olds was terrible, not to mention pointing guns at sleeping kids at 4 am at dawn. That is nightmare. Not to mention lacagtee xadeen askartaas tuugada ah and how they tore and broke everything in the apartments.

Of all media reports about this press conference today, you quoted the tabloid Toronto Sun, Soomaali-hating yellow paper -- that says more about your anti-Soomaali motive than anything.

These large scale raids are nothing new and have been utilized throughout Toronto and the country for at least the past 5 years. Rather than complaining that you weren't given a heads up prior to search warrants being executed for charges as serious murder and attempted murder, why not question why so many decided to house many of these alleged criminals in the same homes as their elderly parent.

Why not speak for the Dixon community rather than claim to speak for such a fractured ethnic community as ours? I don't agree with everything being said in the article as the the Sun is known for its hug-a-cop-blue-wall-circle-jerk articles, but much of is sensible enough.

underdog   

Blackflash,

I think you're getting ahead of yourself. There are legitimate questions that the Toronto Police REFUSED to answer and have continued to gloss over with mass statistics. Do you realise that the police HAVE NOT shown ANY of the search warrants?

1) Which units were covered under the search warrants and which were not? "No comment"

2) Of the 42 guns and Taser, how many were seized from the Dixon address? "No comment"

3) of the 44 arrests, how many were apprehended at or live at the Dixon address? "No Comment"

Joe Warmington is just another white tax payer who's been hearing "Somali gangs" for years and is happy to see tactical officers handcuffing young black kids just so that he can sleep better at night.

underdog;962875 wrote:
Blackflash,

I think you're getting ahead of yourself. There are legitimate questions that the Toronto Police REFUSED to answer and have continued to gloss over with mass statistics. Do you realise that the police HAVE NOT shown ANY of the search warrants?

1) Which units were covered under the search warrants and which were not? "No comment"

2) Of the 42 guns and Taser, how many were seized from the Dixon address? "No comment"

3) of the 44 arrests, how many were apprehended at or live at the Dixon address? "No Comment"

Joe Warmington is just another white tax payer who's been hearing "Somali gangs" for years and is happy to see tactical officers handcuffing young black kids just so that he can sleep better at night.

True, from what I've heard, many of the arrested aren't even Somali. Forgive me if I'm wrong but I don't remember those sensible questions being raised in the articles or radio interviews I've heard, they're more along the lines of complaining about the way the raid itself was conducted, which as I've said before is exactly how these operations have always been carried out before. There was a similar raid in Edmonton a few years back that involved 100+ arrests in the 'dial-a-dope' rings and one of the raids was violently carried out in the conjoining townhouse, it was terrifying, but we focused instead on why our neighbour had been providing housing to someone charged with numerous drug offences and a rape conviction.

Reeyo   

Oh shut up, Honestly, if some dressed-up police came to my OWN home and harassed my grandmother and held a gun to my young siblings I would do more then complain.

You should understand that nothing seems like it is. Authorities only have the power you give them!

Sue them, complain, make a noise, make sure they apologize for every single bruise and nightmare.

ElPunto   

I'm sick and tired of the Sun and their retarded and racist commentators. If that author had his home invaded by a Swat team and his whole family humiliated, man handled and detained for hours - he'd be singing a different tune. That said - so called community leaders don't do a good job of articulating very real objections and criticisms. But I don't read much into that - every 2nd Somali sees himself as Community leader and purports to speak for others - it's the jago-doon syndrome - it doesn't matter how insignificant it is.

So what happens to all that LACAG now? If the people could prove they've gotten it legitimately, would they be able to get it back? I bet they probably seized more than they are reporting after they have taken their cut. :)

TUUGO.

Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar;962777 wrote:
The community leaders didn't go to radio stations - they rightly held a press conference. The dawn terror raids was very stressful against some of our ayeeyooyin iyo waalidiinta kale. Handcuffing and
harrassing 96-year olds and 62-year-olds
was terrible, not to mention
pointing guns at sleeping kids at 4 am at dawn.
That is nightmare.
Not to mention lacagtee xadeen askartaas
tuugada ah and how they tore and broke everything in the apartments.

Of all media reports about this press conference today, you quoted the tabloid Toronto Sun, Soomaali-hating yellow paper -- that says more about your anti-Soomaali motive than anything.

As you can see, your above quote is problematic in two ways. One, you don't know what was stolen and who

was assaulted. Waayo, the narrative you presented here is based on hearsay. Its impossible to know what

happen if your information is one sided. Mida kale, roughing an ayeeyo

here or there is natural, waayo, in the long run, ayeeyo will be safe for not having these gangs around. So, what the kids were woken up at the crack of down? No one should sleep passed 5am.

Mida kale(and tan labaad), yaa lacag kaa xaday? You didn't identity yourself as a resident of the area,

so why do you care who was harassed, or what drug money was stolen? Again, speak of only of the facts and

leave the emotions at the door. Waa unn talo, ee war maqal.

Yours truly,

LayZie G.

underdog;962875 wrote:
Blackflash,

Joe Warmington is just another white tax payer who's been hearing "Somali gangs" for years and is happy to see tactical officers

handcuffing young black kids just so that he can sleep better at night.

The authorities shouldn't have to make their search warrant public. If, a citizen challenges the

authorities and demands to examine the warrants, there are channels that one has to go through, so why

dont you get your paper work in order?

A citizen can file a complaint and follow up with the authorities in cases of police brutality. If the authorities

are abusing their powers, you can file a complaint, which will then start an investigate.

Canada is not Somalia, we are a nation of laws. These so called community leaders need to have faith in the

system and if there was police misconduct, it will be proven and the so called (victims) will get justice.

Also, you can get questions 1-through-3 answered, but not by folks from SOL and certainly not by a Sun

columnist. Do yourself a favour and leave your emotions at the door. Not every Somali is in the business of

endorsing rapists, drug dealers, and murderers, etc.

Yours truly,

LayZie G.