Sign in to follow this  
Marksman

Somali money - coins

Marksman   

tumblr_mojawvvhrH1r34z06o1_500.jpg

The Commonwealth Mint, under their contract until 2016 to mint coins for Somalia (signed with the previous Transitional Federal Governtment of Somalia, and with the approval of the Central bank of Somalia), has released this Non Circulating Legal Tender (NCLT) set.

None of those animals is indigenous to the country (well except for the Libaax). Geel, Ari, Lo would've been more appropriate i think.

My 0.02 Shillings. :)

I remember reading up on minted coins for the Somalia a while back and realizing that Somalia is well known in the coin collecting community for its crazy coin iterations.

Somalia   

Nin-Yaaban;962491 wrote:
None of those animals is indigenous to the country (well except for the Libaax). Geel, Ari, Lo would've been more appropriate i think.

My 0.02 Shillings.
:)

Libaax and Shabeel can still be found, especially Shabeel in Northern Somalia.

I think the Shabeel, Antelopes, Camel and Ostrich would be appropriate as they still roam the country, maybe even Hyena and Baboon to be fair :D

Also, we tend to forget Somalia has the longest coastline in Africa with sharks and other species, also we have one of the largest bird and most diverse bird populations in the world!

Marksman   

Btw these coins are worth more than the actual coins that will be used in Somalia. These coins are for collectors and investors as they are 'Non Circulating Legal Tender' (NCLT). It can be used legally, but you would be making a loss just by using these coins.

Maybe the official ones for use will have different depictions. Who knows.

What kind of BS is this. One has to be a camel, one has to be Sayyidka or Ahmed Gurey, one has to be the Italian watchtower in Xamar. Not random animals.

Nin-Yaaban;962491 wrote:

My 0.02 Shillings.
:)

Yaabanoow, micnaha 'indigenous' maa kuu gambisay mise saanaa kaa daacad ah? Inaa naga dhaadhicisid maa rabtaa inay Soomaaliya joogi jirin maroodi iyo wiyil? Koow.

Soomaaliya wey joogi jireen duurjoogtadaan, gaar ahaan meesha hadda Jubbooyinka ah. Intee ciribtirmin wey buuxi jireen. Intii yarayd hartayna dagaaladii ka qaxeen ama lagu dhameeye.

Teeda kale ogoow lacagihii hore, sida tii la dhihi jiray Soomaalo wey ku sawirnaan jireen saa jeclahay.

Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar;962516 wrote:
Yaabanoow, micnaha 'indigenous' maa kuu gambisay mise saanaa kaa daacad ah? Inaa naga dhaadhicisid maa rabtaa inay Soomaaliya joogi jirin maroodi iyo wiyil? Koow.

Soomaaliya wey joogi jireen duurjoogtadaan, gaar ahaan meesha hadda Jubbooyinka ah. Intee ciribtirmin wey buuxi jireen. Intii yarayd hartayna dagaaladii ka qaxeen ama lagu dhameeye.

Teeda kale ogoow lacagihii hore, sida tii la dhihi jiray Soomaalo wey ku sawirnaan jireen saa jeclahay.

MMA, sxb aniga koleyba kuma ogeen ineey joogi jireen. Laakinse hadii 'eey waa hore joogi jireen, laakinse hada ma joogaan ayaan filayaa. Oo ma haboona in lacagta lagu sawiro.