Sign in to follow this  
Xaaji Xunjuf

Somaliland families on Citizen or stranger Aljazeera reports

Citizen or Stranger?

In this two-part series we meet an extended family of immigrants navigating their lives in six different countries.

Special series Last Modified: 14 Jun 2013 10:19

Countries with a multicultural approach, like Canada, the US and Great Britain, encourage immigrants to keep their customs and culture. Others, like France and Denmark, urge immigrants to integrate and adopt Western values.

We look at the story of one immigrant family that was separated due to a civil war. They tell about their lives in their adopted country, and about their hopes for the future.

Episode 1

In the world today, there at least 10 million people on the move, looking for safety, comfort and a better life. But they are not always welcomed when they arrive in a new land, and the arguments over how to integrate these newcomers are emotional and sometimes explosive.

I'm French, whether they like it or not

Sahra Halgan Ahmed

But what about the people who are at the centre of this debate? What do they think of their new countries, and how have they been received?

In this film, we meet an extended family of immigrants who now live in six different countries.

Some of them are distant cousins, some, are close relatives.

They all come from the same part of the world: the Horn of Africa - Somaliland, a place that has been torn apart by civil war for the last 30 years.

This is their story in their words.

http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/specialseries/2013/06/201361314412558551.html

They all come from the same part of the world: the Horn of Africa - Somaliland, a place that has been torn apart by civil war for the last 30 years.

???

N.O.R.F;962367 wrote:
^Why are you not the one 'returning home'?
:P

i've REJECTED the WEST all together, inaar. i feel at 'home' already. i was deluded inaar and felt British, ma garatay? balse, Britain will always be home ee sida uula soco. :P

NGONGE   

We don't have to be related to find out about such things. Always remember that when you were in primary school, it was I who used to roam the streets of north London. ;) (I still get occassional updates).

Kan ka waran (not the full video, just the first image) :P:

^ he's related to my mother's mother side of the family. there's no monkeys in North London, inaar. he thinks he's some big shot. we had different approaches on advocating for SL in my jaaliyadaha days.: p

roaming primary schools? i guess that was before my time, ma garatay?

Blessed   

I didn't know Sahra Halgan (and Alpha) were related to the Samatars. Watched the whole bloody thing for the Londoners part and I have to wait for the next episode -- bloody lugooyo you are NG. :P Great family, calaa kuli xaal! :)

*Blessed;962385 wrote:
I didn't know Sahra Halgan (and Alpha) were related to the Samatars. Watched the hole bloody thing for the Londoners part and I have to wait for the next episode -- bloody lugooyo you are NG.
:P
Great family, calaa kuli xaal!
:)

Oprah-Disappointed-gif.gif

NGONGE   

^^ Dee my Cardiff informer told me that the London part that's worth watching is in the second part. :P