Sign in to follow this  
xiinfaniin

Finally, The Federal Government is Doing what It supposed to Do

Carafaat   

Indeed. Will be a difficult job. Good luck to the committee.

P.S. I hope they try to maintain the divers character of Somali region. And focus on forming inclusive, effective and

robuust Admins that can set-up service delivery.

This is how you advance national agenda, pro and cons will naturally weigh in , but it is a notch higher than what has transpired in Mogadishu in the last 8 months. Albeit reactionary and much belated , this is a step in the right direction.

^:D :D

But it is an attempt at governance , admit it Haatu. Had they gone on this road, the Kismayo fiasco could have been avoided.

Abtigiis   

I don't know where Xinn's optimism is coming from. As if the Kismaayo conflict is a constitutional one!

This law is rushed. Naturally, it will not solve the current problem. I fear it may even become a problem in the short run.

They rather would have waited a bit longer until trust is back, or until the Federal Government is in a position to enforce this law should people like Ahmed Madoobe refuse to back down.

Hada sida xaaladu u muuqato waa uun sharci looga hortagayo sheekada ah 'shuruucdii Federal ka lagu dhisi lahaa ma qeexnee, maamul goboleed ayaan intaa sii ahaanaynaa".

May or may not work. But the key thing is to wait and see the commissioners. We all know Somalis judge things when they see faces.

Abtigiis;961671 wrote:
I don't know where Xinn's optimism is coming from. As if the Kismaayo conflict is a constitutional one!

This law is rushed. Naturally, it will not solve the current problem. I fear it may even become a problem in the short run.

They rather would have waited a bit longer until trust is back, or until the Federal Government is in a position to enforce this law should people like Ahmed Madoobe refuse to back down.

Hada sida xaaladu u muuqato waa uun sharci looga hortagayo sheekada ah 'shuruucdii Federal ka lagu dhisi lahaa ma qeexnee, maamul goboleed ayaan intaa sii ahaanaynaa".

May or may not work. But the key thing is to wait and see the commissioners. We all know Somalis judge things when they see faces.

Kismayo's conflict is beyond constitutional discussion, it is a reality that must be dealt with as it is. I was speaking in general terms.

EDIT: this law if effectively advanced will help the government facilitate other federal states. My guess is Hassan and his inner circle initially thought that they could oppose federalism as proposed in the constitution or quietly delay its implementation till 2016. The establishment of Jubbaland state forced their hands. This law is not going to be hep them in Jubbaland but it will help them avoid another Jubbaland.

Abtigiis   

I don't think so. I think Norf does not know all the details about this conflict. I think both sides have entrenched positions and the rushing of this law is not what will solve the problem. As Rashid Abdi commented this matter needs a political solution. if you are ready for a political solution and compromise, why rush the law? At any rate, it is not like a committee nominated next month will have the time or the powers to recommend anything. They need to do a thorough assessment in all districts and they need to consult all clans and communities. As things stand now, genuine consultation is not POSIIBLE in the Jubbas when power is with those who have the barrel of the gun. So, I don't think the intention is to do what NORF is suggesting. If it is, it is still unfair. For it is too early to accept Jubbaland as a permanent Regional State. At best, it needs to be given an "INTERIM" Regional Status, until conditions are favourable to do an intention survey on the ground.

This move, to me, therefore is not a sign of a good thing to come. It is a sign of problems ahead. One can argue I am needlessly worried and the FGS is doing what it should do anyway, and the enactment of this law now is just a coincidence.

p.s. Xinn, you are VERY wrong in your assumptions. Will revert to say "told you so" in few days or weeks time. Speak from the point of information not from point of conjecture in these kinds of issues. And I think I have better information (again with the risk of inviting attacks on me for saying so".

^^VERY wrong is a quite hasty of a charge, Abtigiis. But I am afraid you are not reading what I wrote. I SAID this law cannot apply to Jubbaland. But it will help the government answer the charge that they are not doing anything in advancing federal laws to facilitate the establishment of federal states.

Anyways, I am not getting you for you do not appear to be saying anything different that I what I am saying. To say the government is not honest is neither here nor there as it were awoowe

N.O.R.F   

It is an odd move having secured meetings and whatnot with the Jubbaland admin. But I think a little push from friendly nations and this is the outcome.

Abtigiis   

waxaasba kama hadlin...anigu.

I am saying I did not take this move as positive because unlike what you say, which is what you like or prefer, this law APPLIES to Jubbaland. It is only you who is saying Jubbaland is a reality. President Hassan and Saciid are not saying that. Till this morning, Saacid and Xassan's position were crystal clear. To say they do not want this jubbaland thing is an understatement. For me, I am not necessarily against their position, but I think it will not help peace in the short term.

Awoowe, dee nin maskax badan baan kugu ogaaye kaadir ha nagu noqon oo halku-dhig yadan "Jubbaland is a fact" inaga jooji. Ileen Kaadir kaa la yidhaa "carrab mooye madax ma lahee..." (a cadre has tongue but not head) ayey xabashidu tidhaa. Adigu Diktoor baad aheyde sida Carafaat oo kale don't read too much into every Press Release. :D

^^Awoowe, anigu, unlike you, have a center. Bal inoo sharax waxaad hoos ku xar xarriiqday

Abtigiis;961675 wrote:
For it is too early to accept Jubbaland as a permanent Regional State. At best, it needs to be given an "INTERIM" Regional Status, until conditions are favourable to do an intention survey on the ground.

I missed this one.

What is your angle , Abtigiis? :D :D. I have few minutes to spare , so come out of it once and for all.

Abtigiis   

My take simple. And has been from day one. According to the constitution, regional states will be formalized once the relevant laws are enacted. Now, I know this may not apply for those that existed before the FG was formed and were signatories of the Garowe agreement. Although I expect even these may be affected at some stage as the border commission starts its work. However, Jubbaland waa la isku haystaa oo you say it was before the FG was formed; someone else is saying it is not. Even worse, there is an active conflict (while I agree Mogadishu has a role in fanning it) nonetheless shows that some clans feel Ahmed Madoobe has imposed himself. So, the Jubbaland saga is not over.

Yet, we also know the FG has no real power to enforce any law or outcome of 'reconciliation' meetings it holds in Mogadishu. At best, it can foment another 'baasto' or 'bariis' and will cause damage to Ahmed Madoobe but it cannot really do much in the next year or so. Now, in order to avoid this scenario, my recommendation has always been:

1) accept an Interim Jubbaland State for 2 years (as is now) and try to manage the power-share to ensure 'peaceful' clans get their share, even within current arrangement. The O and revolution clan took a disproportionate share just because they have more guns and this is not fair.

2) in the meantime, make sure the laws are finalized and a thorough assessment is done in 2 years time. Here, the outcome could be to endorse Jubbaland as it is; or to alter it (based on the will of every district...) dadku meeshay raacaan iyagoo sida hada aan dagaal ku dhex jirin ha doortaan

3) This rule should apply to Himan iyo Heeb or every other Mareegland or Abtigiisland that succeds in administering itself peacefully and openly declares that it is part of the Federal State of Somalia.

My hope is in 2-3 years time, the federal government will be in a better position financially, diplomatically and economically; and the wounds and mistrust would have healed somehow; and that it therefore will be easier to implement the Formation of the regional States.

for a country that is emerging from 22 years of ruin, a weak center and many fiefdoms is an inescapable reality! The challenge is to make this reality as brief as it can. Not to prevent it from the outset!

^^I am disappointed. Your understating of Jubbaland conflict and the nature of its political construct is quite elementary. Even worse , your understanding of the the necessary constitutional requirement for states to be formed is also lacking.

The good news is Jubbaland is beyond fadhi-ku-dirir discussions.

I gotta go...