Sign in to follow this  
OdaySomali

Somali Women

Haatu   

OdaySomali;980789 wrote:
You beoble are hiding behind religion.

Yacni, if you have something to say, say it. If you are against women rights, just say it. If you are threatened by the empowering women and giving them opportunities in life, just say it.

War maxaad ka hadleysaa? I clearly just said the problem is that women and their rights are not being protected. Everyone one of us is born with unalienable, God-given rights. No man can legislate nor take them away. What can happen and does happen is that they can be denied or not upheld (case in point rape in Somalia). Our women don't need rights, they have them already. They need those rights to be upheld and protected.

Khayr   

I am for beauty and beauty is the product of Truth.

You are like the mericaan high school flunky that got recruited by the army and believe that

you have a right to kill Afghan men because there women wear the burqa and the Afghan men don't let them get education.

Meanwhile, you are set to shoot Season 3 of Teen mom. A phenomena that is encouraged by the "wrap it up" durex generation.

Funny enough, they did but you still have Teen pregnancy rampant and no one is killing off those horny dudes.

You phrased your scenario like this:

A student walked in to their school and sprayed 30 students. The NRA wants more students to carry guns to protect themselves.

Hmmm, does the NRA have any credibility after such a response to a heinous crime?

Safferz   

Khayr;980797 wrote:
I am for beauty and beauty is the product of Truth.

You are like the mericaan high school flunky that got recruited by the army and believe that

you have a right to kill Afghan men because there women wear the burqa and the Afghan men don't let them get education.

Meanwhile, you are set to shoot Season 3 of Teen mom. A phenomena that is encouraged by the "wrap it up" durex generation.

Funny enough, they did but you still have Teen pregnancy rampant and no one is killing off those horny dudes.

You phrased your scenario like this:

A student walked in to their school and sprayed 30 students. The NRA wants more students to carry guns to protect themselves.

Hmmm, does the NRA have any credibility after such a response to a heinous crime?

WKHMF.gif

Rahima   

Haatu;980784 wrote:
What rights do women lack in Islam? The problem in Somalia is lack of protection of women and their rights, not lack of rights. There's a difference.

So haatu when you say men wear the pants what exactly do you mean? You don't think such language is against Islam? Do you not think that you are degrading women with such a statement? It's not exactly calling for what Islam teaches is it? Islam advocates a consultative approach to marriage and the household, not one based on dictatorial outlooks like "i wear the pants". Sure the husband may be the head of the household but not in the sense you boys are describing. Remember that one of the last warning of the Prophet s.a.w was to be mindful of the rights of women- be careful guys as our right to be involved in the decision making of our homes is one of our many rights.

As for women in politics, even if we accept that such a political system is acceptable in Islam, the position the hadith refers to is that equivalent to the leader, not ministerial positions.

Haatu   

Rahima;980901 wrote:
So haatu when you say men wear the pants what exactly do you mean? You don't think such language is against Islam? Do you not think that you are degrading women with such a statement? It's not exactly calling for what Islam teaches is it? Islam advocates a consultative approach to marriage and the household, not one based on dictatorial outlooks like "i wear the pants". Sure the husband may be the head of the household but not in the sense you boys are describing. Remember that one of the last warning of the Prophet s.a.w was to be mindful of the rights of women- be careful guys as our right to be involved in the decision making of our homes is one of our many rights.

As for women in politics, even if we accept that such a political system is acceptable in Islam, the position the hadith refers to is that equivalent to the leader, not ministerial positions.

Wearing the pants is a figure of expression for head of the household, and of course that doesn't mean the man becomes a dictator without consulting his wife. Only a fool would do that.

Wadani   

Rahima;980901 wrote:

Finally a girl who gets it. No one is calling for a dictatorship in the household. Soomaali baanu nahay oo Illaahay Carab iyo Hindi controlling ah inagama dhigin.

Reeyo   

Those of you that jump to 'Islam protects women's rights and in Islam women are not denied their rights' Why don't you ever back up your claims?

We all know Allah's law is perfect, but in practice/reality?- you should also be mindful that God allows humans the ability to create social systems/values/norms to govern themselves.

The Shari'a is open to interpretation. Women's rights have taken a back seat for almost a 1000 years in the Islamic world. Just look at the number of Muslim women scholars in Islamic history- The numbers have decreased and suddenly disappeared. Imam Shafi' mentions many women scholars as his teachers- His students (well the most notable ones) are all male?

Rahima   

Haatu;980924 wrote:
Wearing the pants is a figure of expression for head of the household, and of course that doesn't mean the man becomes a dictator without consulting his wife. Only a fool would do that.

So do you believe that the man/husband has the final say despite undertaking a consultative process? Or is it more appropriate that on issues that a husband and wife disagree on they take the middle ground? The reason that i ask is because it seems that you guys are advocating for a dictatorial approach- the "yes i will consult her but ultimately she must remember that i wear the pants and i get the final say" kind of hadal.

Khayr   

I think that some people can not be objective and think based on their gender identity.

e.g. a Man first then a Muslim or a Women first then a Muslimah!!!

Wadani   

Rahima;981010 wrote:
So do you believe that the man/husband has the final say despite undertaking a consultative process? Or is it more appropriate that on issues that a husband and wife disagree on they take the middle ground? The reason that i ask is because it seems that you guys are advocating for a dictatorial approach- the "yes i will consult her but ultimately she must remember that i wear the pants and i get the final say" kind of hadal.

It depends on the issue. But in general the husband should steer the direction of the ship. That's what Islam teaches...unless we have a skeletal Islam with no real dictates, and we just selectively patch on the meat (the real substance) however we see fit to suit the prevailing norms of our times (which is currently unfettered feminism).

Reeyo   

Thanks for sharing that odey, I felt completely disconnected from Somali women and their hardships and struggles back home throughout that clip but it still gave me a small glimpse into a reality I'd never understand.

Haatu   

Nice video. What those NGOs need to understand is that the first thing those women need is economic empowerment. They need skills training so they can earn a living. Teaching them their legal rights is beneficial, but it doesn't pull them out of poverty.

Most small,middle businesses r run by women and as far as I know women have as much rights as men traditionally and in towns.They might not be 100% equal to men but what you painting is beyond truth.Marrying 4 wives, some otha restrictions due to religion .

I see more as economical/ educational which probably equally affects men.

Most small,middle businesses r run by women and as far as I know women have as much rights as men traditionally and in towns.They might not be 100% equal to men but what you painting is beyond truth.Marrying 4 wives, some otha restrictions due to religion .

I see more as economical/ educational which probably equally affects men.