Sign in to follow this  
OdaySomali

Somali Women

Haatu;961118 wrote:
The ones that believe females should be head of the household and other crap like that.

Is that all? C'mon dee... any other un-somali/islamic principles?

Haatu   

OdaySomali;961123 wrote:
Is that all? C'mon dee... any other un-somali/islamic principles?

Do you not know what radical feminism is?

Wadani   

Do women deserve their God given and natural rights such as most of those mentioned above by others? Ofcourse they do. But should the natural order of of things among Somalis be turned on it's head to mimic the athiestic and morally bankrupt feminist social experiment of the West? Hell no, unless we want rampant teen pregnancies, divorce rates above 70%, men reduced to boys due to loss of agency, and professional women in their 30's and 40's looking for marriage without any luck as men refuse to be castrated by masculinized women already well past their prime, who did as they pleased with who ever they pleased during their 20's thanks to sexual liberation. These are just some of the effects of western feminism. So be careful what u people wish for.

Reeyo, by equal do u mean there are no physical, mental and emotional differences between men and women? Because that's how I understand the term equal, hence my reservations.

Marksman   

No one like radical feminism! Just like no one likes radical practitioners of religion and ideologies. I think people here are talking about basic human rights and those rights that women should have based on the fact they can be discriminated upon due to their physical difference.

How can Somalia in the future fully utilize its 50+% citizens and take down barriers?

Frankly I don't think religion is the issue at all. It is a mental state of the people and the changed dynamics of the culture in the last 22 or so years. Whenever I look at pictures of todays Somali girls for instance in Somalia they look more shy and with less self confidence. A very different contrast to 60's - 91'. Perhaps this may be different experience for those that actually went back.

Safferz   

Wadani;961139 wrote:
Do women deserve their God given and natural rights such as most of those mentioned above by others? Ofcourse they do. But should the natural order of of things among Somalis be turned on it's head to mimic the athiestic and morally bankrupt feminist social experiment of the West? Hell no, unless we want rampant teen pregnancies, divorce rates above 70%, men reduced to boys due to loss of agency, and professional women in their 30's and 40's looking for marriage without any luck as men refuse to be castrated by masculinized women already well past their prime, who did as they pleased with who ever they pleased during their 20's thanks to sexual liberation. These are just some of the effects of western feminism. So be careful what u people wish for.

Reeyo, by equal do u mean there are no physical, mental and emotional differences between men and women? Because that's how I understand the term equal, hence my reservations.

You're more intelligent than this.

Guzel   

There is no such thing as "head of the household" in a marriage. Marriage is based on mutual decisions, listening to each other and compromise. It is a partnership and vague terms such as "head of the household" are meaningless. Somali women have worked as maids from Yemen to Italy after the war, in Europe they are mostly cleaners. If it was not for them, many families back home would be facing starvation.

NGONGE   

I'm now picturing a photo of a topless Somali girl with the words "naga daaya" written all over her chest.

Marksman   

NGONGE, why think in extremes? You think this is better than actual choice of attire?

afghan_women_burqa.jpg

I think Somali women can decide for themselves. Sometimes I wonder why there's such a high divorce rates among Somalis.

thats because you assume marriage is the natural, normative state of human relationship all along, the sole vehicle for familial bliss. it never was, marriage is an anomaly however counter intuitive that maybe. we should celebrate its demise, voluntary cohabitation unions should be encourage with equal partners.

Marksman   

Somalia has been seen as one of the worst places in the world to be a woman. Next to India and Afghanistan.

Why not let the focus be on how the future Somalia can be a good place to be a woman? What steps need to be made etc.

Or are we obsessed with controlling women's vagina's?

I never knew that for instance seeing a girl going to a toilet was even considered a taboo.

the monologue has an imaginable power of mythical proportions over men, women should be using it as a leverage more often and not see it as a liability

why put yourself in the straitjacket of forced monogamy, i don't desire it nor should any other red blooded male. competition in the market place is good for all affairs.