Sign in to follow this  
OdaySomali

Somali Women

Haatu;961026 wrote:
What's the Islamic stance on such an issue first of all? Is what the boy said a crime Islamically or is this a scare tactic being used by the takfiris to frighten the population?

Don't bother replying to him. I don't know who this man "warsamaale" is, but I see no point in discussing anything with him. After seeing that last post he made, he doesn't deserve to be taken seriously. He sounds just like Ann Coulter.....in other words: He's full of it.

In his words:

If a group of rebels decide to execute a teenage boy because of something he said, So then I'm gonna link these group of rebels to their religion (regardless of whether Islam permits such behavior or not), and then reach the conclusion that Islam orders such behavior, even though it doesn't.

Yeah....Ignore him. He should be relegated to the sidelines of SOL.

Reeyo   

Wadani;960816 wrote:
Equal how? and in what ways? Throwing around the amorphous term 'equal' without backing it up with concrete observable and emprically verifiable facts is meaningless.

Observable and empirically verifiable facts?

What are we discussing here, a scientific experiment or Somali social attitudes towards women?

My observation and personal experience is all I've got mate. I fought tooth and nail for my postgraduate education, my travel experiences and a lot of other rights in my personal life. I believe our mothers and elderly females need to recognize themselves as oppresses instead of being obsessed with maintaining the shallow image of the obedient Muslim girl that breed for to be pregnant and maintain a household.

And what is with this fear of this word, equal? every man shakes in his boots when a Muslim female mentions the obvious, I am equal to you.

Reeyo;961043 wrote:

What are we discussing here, a scientific experiment or Somali social attitudes towards women?

My observation and personal experience is all I've got mate. I fought tooth and nail for my postgraduate education, my travel experiences and a lot of other rights in my personal life. I believe our mothers and elderly females need to recognize themselves as oppresses instead of being obsessed with maintaining the shallow image of the obedient Muslim girl that breed for to be pregnant and maintain a household.

And what is with this fear of this word, equal? every man shakes in his boots when a Muslim female mentions the obvious, I am equal to you.

I agree with you 100% Reeyo

Haatu   

Reeyo, no one is denying you that as it's all your basic rights but we're against radical feminists and the un-Islamic, un-Somali principles they stand for.

Safferz   

Reeyo;961043 wrote:

Well said, Reeyo.

Reeyo   

Doc, that's good to hear mate. It such an easy thing to understand- but a few will argue against such rationality.

Haatu- I dislike radical feminism too, but the thread was basically asking we look within our community and challenges these harsh social norms.

No good denying it in order to push away Western feminism.

Apophis: Do you want a dictionary definition? I am sure google can help there.

Reeyo   

That is a great little book Chimera- I hope I can easily obtain it.

But I'd rather not dwell on communism to give Somali women their rights- I was thinking education and Islam might be easier and acceptable.

Apophis: Please state your opinion, I don't want to chase you around with random and vague phrases.

Are you imposing the social equality of men and women in our society?

Haatu   

reeyo, it's like you said, the problem is mainly not the men but the women e.g. FGM which is mostly carried out by women. Also, many mothers don't treat their boys and girls the same as if expectations are different for each. Plus, it's outrageous how some people pull their girls out of education because they found a good suitor for her. Disgraceful. Women should be educated and given the opportunity to work because they are more effective than men (My mum was a business lady back home that had a farm, shop and tailors so I should know).

I think--especially in the West--Somali women have proven themselves to be far more competent and more accomplished than Somali men.

We should stop limiting these women and should allow them to reach their full potential.

I dont have the time to reply to this thread, despite having a lot to say, but I broadly agree with Reeyo, DRKennedy, Saffers....

Haatu;961061 wrote:
Reeyo, no one is denying you that as it's all your basic rights but we're against radical feminists and the un-Islamic, un-Somali principles they stand for.

Can you expand on the Un-islamic and Un-somali principles?

Haatu   

OdaySomali;961113 wrote:
Can you expand on the Un-islamic and Un-somali principles?

The ones that believe females should be head of the household and other crap like that.

*Blessed;960987 wrote:
Interesting preposition! Perhaps, there needs to be a discussion amongst the men, it would certainly be more helpful for the empowerment of Somali women / society - if once in a while, the few decent Somali men told their brethren to stop being such pigs. There are many kick *** Somali women out there, they may or may not call themselves feminists but the fact that you chose to ignore or dismiss their existence is rather telling-- malaha you should work on your condescending attitude ya Odey...

There is no clear and recognisable womens movement within the country... is there? (pardon my ignorance) And the reason why I used the tone I did, was to envoke 'ficil' in the Somali women readers of SOL.