Sign in to follow this  
burahadeer

Won't bow to Egyptian pressure ova Nile dam: Ethiopia

Tallaabo;960442 wrote:
Friendship and free trade with Ethiopia is in Somalia and Somaliland's interest.

I agree, but this should not be friendship and trade without reservations and conditions. If Somalia prospers, Ethiopia will prosper and if Ethiopia prospers Somalia will prosper.

Tallaabo;960442 wrote:
Somalis should actually support the Ethiopian dam because if Somalia and Somaliland sign free trade agreements with Ethiopia, we can import cheap electricity from them to kick start an industrial economy and export the Somali made products to Ethiopia's vast market. It is a win-win situation I think.

IMO hat's the worst thing we could do and the biggest mistake we could make... it would be a foolish foreign policy and national security failure of epic proportions. Considering that we have no domestic power-producing capabilities, such an action would make us entirely beholden to Ethiopia, which would limit us in what we can say or do to Ethiopia, which is exactly is plan. What we need to do is produce our own power that we control. You are naive to think and have high hopes to think that we could build industries on the basis of exporting to destitute Ethiopia, which has a stifled private sector, whose consumers have no purchasing power to speak of.

What we need to do is have a long-term co-operative agreement with Ethiopia. Once we have built up our security sector, we need to allow them to use our blessed coast and make our ports available to Ethiopia at cheap rates which undercut regional alternatives. We need to get Ethiopia to invest into those ports and fund their creation. We need to do what Djibouti has done, which is to have foreign military bases, American, Chinese, European in our county and along our strategic coast. This will give us some leverage reigonally and internationally.

Why would Somali people get involve in this dispute. It is none of our business. Let the Egyptians do what ever they want but they shouldn't count Somali people to do their bidding.

Somali people should have a peaceful neighbourly relationship with their neighbours.

The only thing I truly love about Somaliland and "Somalilanders" is their commitment to be Anti-Arab, Anti-Egypt and standing by Ethiopia's rightful claim over the Nile. If "Somaliland" wants to destroy Egypt's dream, they should allow Ethiopia to annex Somaliland. :D That will be a stab right into Egypt's heart.

^^ I dont know about you but i support Egyptian Nile waters i believe they need the Nile waters more than the Bug eyed Xabashis. Actually if Egypt completely annihilates Ethiopia. They have no reason to be anti Somaliland, The best thing now for SL is that they should remain very neutral and stay away from the Ethio and Egypt conflict. it doesn't concern Somaliland.

Xaaji Xunjuf;960552 wrote:
^^ I dont know about you but i support Egyptian Nile waters i believe they need the Nile waters more than the Bug eyed Xabashis. Actually if Egypt completely annihilates Ethiopia. They have no reason to be anti Somaliland, The best thing now for SL is that they should remain very neutral and stay away from the Ethio and Egypt conflict. it doesn't concern Somaliland.

Ethiopia is for Somaliland's Independence. Egypt is for Somalia's territorial sovereignty to be intact from Djibouti border to the Kenyan border. Are you still neutral?

Ethiopia is not for Somaliland independence matter in fact countries such as Ghana and Rwanda did more for Somaliland in the African union they raised the SL issue to be discussed at the AU. Ethiopia is not for Somaliland independence, it wants maintain and cooperate since its a neighbor but they are not for it. Egypt just wants to support the old union , because it believes thats the only way it can keep pressure on Ethiopia.There is no real difference Ethiopia does not recognize Somaliland and its not willing to do so. But Somalia will be no use for Egypt, there are Ethiopian troops in Somalia , Somalia will be no threat to Ethiopia for years to come. So its useless if you ask me.

I agree, but this should not be friendship and trade without reservations and conditions. If Somalia prospers, Ethiopia will prosper and if Ethiopia prospers Somalia will prosper.

IMO hat's the worst thing we could do and the biggest mistake we could make... it would be a foolish foreign policy and national security failure of epic proportions. Considering that we have no domestic power-producing capabilities, such an action would make us entirely beholden to Ethiopia, which would limit us in what we can say or do to Ethiopia, which is exactly is plan. What we need to do is produce our own power that we control. You are naive to think and have high hopes to think that we could build industries on the basis of exporting to destitute Ethiopia, which has a stifled private sector, whose consumers have no purchasing power to speak of."

Exactly, we shouldn't be beholden to anyone,it be suicide if depend Ethiopia for our electricity specially when we know we have abundant oil,gas,coal,uranium,steel etc...it's just a matter of time,less than 10 yrs when we fully operational & self sufficient.I would rather support Ethiopia for the dam as long as Egypt gets fare share of the water which I believe is the case.Ethiopia is our neighbour,it's where we take shelter in times of crisis; we need each otha more than anyone else and must have 2 way respect.

and be mindful that Gulf states have gone all the way our oil neva eva comes out.

Tallaabo   

Somalis should never depend on other countries for the basics of life such as food and energy but the Grand Ethiopian dam has a great potential to provides us with another source of reliable and cheap energy. The more sources of energy we get , the better for the Somalis and their economy.

Khadafi   

Things are really heating up in the region. Carabta have finally waken up and seen the reality on the ground. We Somalis havenothing in

our interest to join some crazy Egyptians in their plan against Ethiopia.

Chimera why would we somalis see some benefit in the collapse of Ethiopia? Could you imagine the huge impacts it could have on Somalia? Oromo refugees, Ethiopian weaponry falling in to the hands of the general population in the horn is a recipe for chaos and destruction.

Look at what happend in Libya. Khaddafis huge weapon arsenal became available to all crazy jabhado in that region. The whole sahel region is in flames.

Weather we like it or not the reality on the ground is that Ethiopia is today some what "stabile" and a power-broker in the horn. Though some like Cafataat would say that Ethiopia is doomed because of the difference ethnicity the reality is what I stated above. Lets trade with them. and rebuild or nation. Lets us give piece a chance. That dam is also in our intrest. Why not see the energy need for Somalia?. Though If i am going to be honest I do have some concern if the xabashida have any plans of diverting the Jubba river as it originates from Ethiopia,.

Carab waalan xadda hurdo ka soo kacay maxaa ka rabtiin yaakhay

^^ stable Ethiopia is in our interest & that of the region.Both will benefit by interacting peacefully & economically, but things like energy,water,food should be in our hands.That doesn't necessarily mean we can't use some of these from Ethiopia; we just don't have to be wholly dependant .....case in point: Major cities could be blackened out if any hostility arise.No way to support Egypt in this case,they have enough water regardless.....from what I read,the nile will lose around 20% the first 3 yrs & much less after(still getting 80%).