Sign in to follow this  
Safferz

17 year old Somali boy drowns after rescuing 7 year old sister from Buffalo river

Safferz   

I've been thinking about this story since I heard about it this morning, but I was waiting hear if it was confirmed that they were Somali immigrants. They identified the boy as Mustafa Ismail this afternoon, and they've only been in the US for a month. AUN, my heart breaks for this family :( Most sources are reporting the 7 year old as his sister, others as his cousin.

‘He’s a hero’: Teen drowns in Niagara after pulling sister, 7, from surging river

Canadian Press | 13/06/04 | Last Updated: 13/06/04 5:41 PM ET

BUFFALO, N.Y. — Authorities say a teenager has drowned in the Niagara River in Buffalo while trying to save his 7-year-old sister after she slipped into the water.

Local media outlets report that the 17-year-old boy jumped into the river Monday afternoon as his younger sister was being carried away by the swift current off an island in the river.

According to reports, the 17-year-old was able to hand off the 7-year-old to another sister, 13, before then being swept away in the current.

The 13-year-old, fearing for her brother, jumped in after him.

At that point an unrelated man, Leonard W. Stevens, jumped into the water after the teens and saved the 13-year-old, but was unable to recover the 17-year-old from the murky water.

“I consider Stevens and the brother both heroes for their actions,” Commissioner Daniel Derenda told the Buffalo News. “It’s unfortunate the brother lost his life, but he saved his sister.”

Stevens directed all praise to the 17-year-old. “He’s a hero in my book.”

Police divers found the body of the teenager about 45 minutes later.

Police haven’t released his name, but WKBW reports that the 17-year-old was Mustafa Ismail from Buffalo.

AUN, very upsetting story and to think this lad had only been the country a very short time before he departed. Imagine that, his last act on this earth was to save a life. An incredibly unselfish act :(