Sign in to follow this  
Baashi

Apple's WWDC is on Next Week -- iOS 7 and OS X 10.8.4 goodies on menu

Baashi   

Apple releases OS X 10.8.4

By Sam Oliver

Apple on Tuesday released OS X 10.8.4, its latest security and maintenance update for the Mountain Lion operating system for Mac, improving Wi-Fi connectivity and Microsoft Exchange compatibility, and also fixing an issue that prevented making FaceTime calls to non-U.S. numbers.

The OS X 10.8.4 update is now available for Mountain Lion users through the Mac App Store. A system restart is required once the update has been installed, and it is recommended by Apple for all users.

The full list of changes in OS X 10.8.4, according to Apple, are:

•Compatibility improvements when connecting to certain enterprise Wi-Fi networks

•Microsoft exchange compatibility improvements in Calendar

•A fix for an issue that prevented FaceTime calls to non-U.S. phone numbers

•A fix for an issue that may prevent scheduled sleep after using Boot Camp

•Improved VoiceOver compatibility with text in PDF documents

•Includes Safari 6.0.5

AppleInsider was first to report last week that the release of OS X 10.8.4 was imminent, as Apple closed the seed project for developer testing. In a note to developers last week, Apple thanked participants for testing, and noted that materials related to the seeding project would be shut down.

Prior to Tuesday's release, there were a total of eight betas of OS X 10.8.4 released, in which developers were asked to focus their testing on Wi-Fi, Graphics Drivers and Safari. Earlier builds of the software signaled that Apple is also testing high-speed 802.11ac Wi-Fi in OS X, suggesting the hardware capabilities are likely to appear in future Macs.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/06/04/apple-releases-os-x-1084-with-wi-fi-exchange-improvements

Baashi   

No new game changer product (perhaps Mac Pro) was on the menu.

iTunes Radi -- (watch out Pandora)

OS X Maverick -- beauty and power

iOS 7 -- much needed new tweaks and facelift

Mac Pro -- for pwer users (again Libaax should know the utility of AppleTV :) You don't neeed display. Your TV is the display)

Watck Keynote @ apple website. www.apple.com

Summary -- read NYT http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/06/10/live-blog-apple-conference-keynote/

Baashi,

why are you being a commentator? naga daa hurling informed opinions as though we're 'tech-freaks' and tell us why you have yet to developed an app?

iTunes Radi
-- (watch out Pandora)

its iRadio and you might add spotify to the list too, ma garatay? :)

True, Bashe, there is no game changer on the menu(other than the Mac Pro) as you put it. However, I saw both the Maverick and iOS 7 today(developer version) and they look neat. The Mac Pro will be the thing to look for now....

Jacpher   

It sucks to be iOS user and discover all these features in iOS 7 today when in fact Android users had them and plenty more for the past few years. Don't get me wrong; I don't hate Apple. I like my iPad and the easy, friendly and straight forward of iOS interface but Apple devices are really boring without jailbreaking them to enjoy fully all the tweaks and features your device is capable of. For instance, if you had a jailbroken device running iOS 5 or later, all the features Apple introduced in iOS 7 yesterday were available to you in the Cydia Store all these years but you had to be jailbroken.

There has been a rumor Apple stopped innovating and if you watched the event, you saw senior VP Phil replying to that criticism when introducing the new Mac Pro. However, people were literally begging Apple to release updated Mac pro for awhile now. Going from the earlier design of tower shape to a cylinder was very impressive design and a very small size. What I reading the blogs today, this design means a limited upgrade options to the end user. Yes Apple gave you top killer specs but in two or three years, you have no option to upgrade the components because of the smaller size design.

For iOS 7, Apple has slowly been introducing [should I say borrowing or stealing] jailbreak tweaks into the core of the iOS without acknowledging the JB community and working overtime to make it impossible to jailbreak. If you were waiting for jb like me, it took over six months to get iOS 6 to be hacked and jailbroken and Apple decided to patch up the holes hackers found to jailbreak in a series of updates within two months. I think that was the shortest lived jailbreak. So if you updated your devices right away, you were out of luck. This is why some JB devs speculated if there is any incentive to work hard to develop more tweaks and jb apps because in part Apple was is implementing some of their greatest ideas and shutting the jb community down at the same time. Now that iOS 7 is out, most of my favorite jb tweaks are no longer needed, [sBSettings, SwipeBack, NCSetting, Auxo, Bulletin, KillBacground, Tabs+, iBlacklist, and etc] because now that they are built right into the core of the OS.

One big point was repeated in the blogshere yesterday was how Apple re-designed iOS 7 to the look more like Android and other platforms like Windows and Blackberry. From design to features to the look and feel of the OS, this new facelift is Android. This was the headline yesterday in Android circles; That moment when iOS became Android. :D :D

The two main problems with Android is that it's too fragmented and there's little Google can do. Android is an open system with hundreds of manufactures and thousands of devices. For updates, it's up to the carriers to determine whenever you the end user gets software update even though Google released upgrade versions to the public. You have to wait for your carriers [Verizon, AT&T or the manufacturers] to take that OS updated version add to their flavors/features, test and implement and release to the public. This takes months and years and that's why people are still using Android versions released two to three years ago. However, there's good news if you are up to the task. There is huge Android community that build and release their own ROMs and make them available on the net. For me I'm running the latest 4.2.2 on my S3 though my carrier is stuck on 4.1 version. Android has a vast build community out there with all kinds of Android flavors to choose from. Adiga lee ha ka daalin. The other problem is that it is lacking in the App department. There are millions of Android apps out there but it's hard to find apps that are alternative to Apple for someone coming from iOS.

So for me iOS 7 was a bit disappointing but it's all about what sells. Remember iPhone 4s wasn't all that different from iPhone 4 in terms of specs, but it was Siri the virtual voice assistance that sold it millions. It was that gimmick. Hardly anyone uses it now. Android's Google Now feature is more accurate and responds faster but Google isn't selling more devices because of Google Now. Apple is genius in marketing. Now watch this new re-design of iOS is gonna sell millions of the next new iphone coming out in the fall.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/06/10/ios7-vs-android-a-quick-comparison-after-the-wwdc-keynote/

tutu   

Nothing new here. With their restrictions and lack of innovation, I can't help but being driven out of their customer base even though I've been an ardent user of Apple products since 2008.