Sign in to follow this  
Abtigiis

Khaatumo men most unromantic, a new research says

Abtigiis   

Khaatumo men are the most unromantic men in Somalia, and possibly in the world, a new research finds. "Wada dhalasho iyo Dhiiga" - a reputed social research firm based in Waylo-lagu-xidh - conducted a survey in five major Somali towns ( Hargeisa, Garowe, Jigjiga, Las Anod and Bossaso) and four international cities ( Nairobi, Minneapolis, London, and Johannesburg) for nine months.

A stratified random sampling method was used and more than 580 married women and 450 unmarried women were interviewed. Data was collected through questionnaires.

According to the preliminary report issued by the firm on 30 May 2013, most of the married women interviewed regard Khaatumo men as the most unromantic Somali men. The report did not establish whether hotheadedness - an abiding trait of Khatumo men - is the cause for the lack of romanticism, but suggested that geography rather than genealogy probably explains this phenomena.

The study says it also found similar behaviour in men from "Lady Lover" communities in parts of Sanaag and neighbouraing Together regions, while men whose ancestry is from Khaatumo but who were born in Northern Kenya and Jubbaland do not exhibit the same behavioral conditions.

But it is not all doom and gloom for Khatumo men.

"There is one good piece of information for Khatuumo men. Over 50% of women - both married or unmarried - generally find Khatuumo men generous", the report says, adding that "nearly all women in mafrishes and in relaxing social occasions such as weeding ceremonies, receptions and farewell parties, find Khatumo men most enchanting and exuberant."

In a response to the report, emailed to the managing director of the firm that conducted the research, a spokesman of Khatuumo men rejected the findings, calling it "unscientific and not worthy of the paper it is written on".

The Spokesman, Abu Sophist, said " the supreme irony in all of this is that a firm owned by the long-footed community is leading a comparative analysis of who is romantic and who is unromantic. Can the long-foots tell love and romance even if it smacks them on their bucolic chests?!".

Mr. Tolka, the director of wada-dhalasho & dhiiga, said that one reason why the communities from his areas did not feature at the top of the unromantic list could be either because their women generally find them "faithful", or because the continuous redicules they received on love matters from other commnunities could have significantly changed the way their young generation deal with women.

"There is certainly an improvement. We have reports some long-footed men not only accompany their women to the supermarkets, but actually -as unseemly as it is - carry vegetables and EVEN chicken for their wives", the director said.

The findings of the research will be formally released three days after the end of the upcoming Ramadan in "timo-cas" restaurant in Taleex.

The reason why the event will be hosted in a restaurant rather than a hotel is to minimize confrontations and brawls. It is generally believed Khatumoites are more relaxed in restaurants where camel meat is served than in dull podiums of hotels.

Ibtisam   

Looooool. I laugh generally at the notion of Somali men and romantic in the same sentence. Somali culture dictates that romance exists in songs and poems only and even in songs and poems it is those heart broken rejected songs with graphic details of veins popping, heart stopping, lungs burning and giving up on life- How depressing- which really is more obsession than love.

Somali love is expressed through sacrifices;

Asking Somali men for romance should be banned- if a farax ever turned up at my house with flowers and chocolates or got down on one knee to propose I would probably throw up on him and then beat him with my dacas- superficial, culturally assimilating freak.

I would, however deem 200 camels, 2 horses (stolen if he does not own it), and a gun- a romantic gesture in the Somali sense- particularly from the said unromantic men of this thread. :D

In case you missed the gist of my point- Romantic based on what notion and what culture?

nuune   

Ibti made good points there, the closest a Somali Men can go near anything to do with romantic is by saying "naayee", at least we meant it to be a romantic word.

Ibti, ma laba boqol oo halaad bas ah, Innaa Lillaahi, waad yareysay baan ku iri ee xisaabtaada dib ugu noqo, fardaha bas ayaa la rabaa iney noqdaan 20 faras.

I know a couple whom their entire romantic life spent beating each other, of course, the woman is the receiving end but she does her bit too like candhuuf ku tufeyso ninka wajigiisa and she enjoys it in la cakiso, waaba xaraarto in la dilo, markaas ayey godlataa ka dib.

Ibtisam   

Godlataa? Wtf- what is she a goat or a she camel? The old if he dont beat me, he dont love me tale was a joke Nuune- ruun haa moodiin.

The camels have now been replaced by Gold grams- simply because people like Gold, easy to store, cash in, affordable and less like being sold in a market etc. So you ask for 900gm of Gold, which is like $50,000- now that is under valued considering 200 camels are worth $150,000 and they must be brought up front. What I dont understand is- if our grandfathers could do it- it should be possible now.

I went all over the land of the unromantic men of this thread- each family has a max of 50-100 camels- that means who one of them marries- to get 200 will be dac iyo boob and help- I dont find any of those characteristics desirable- it is similar to some robbing a bank for your wedding-however at least he is trying- Somalis sometimes confuse tuugnimo with farridnimo.

As for the horses- the said community are no longer big on the horses- aside from in Nugaal harldy saw any- I was trying to be realistic dee

Juxa   

hahahaha@long cago islaanka waa dhibeen! this is pure kutiri-kuteen

Ibti naga daa hee.........geel maxaad ku sameyn, it will spit on your face and no amount of face scrub will clean it

ps: gold is trouble and you need to pay zakat on it! take cash, cash, cash

Ibtisam   

Anyone saying "naaya" should be stone and then burned to death.

P.s. That is nor a romantic life in any culture- call the police on your couple

Juxa I didnt say I wanted it!? I said I would deem it romantic in the Somali sense, Although if I wanted to stall for time- it would be the perfect way, getting all those camels, horses and guns in order takes time- :D

Taleexi   

Ahhaa, a piece of art, keep'm coming. Habluhu was iska waalayaan, relationships should be bidirectional. Ibtisam, naa naga jooji rabshada.

Ibtisam   

taleexi- why dont you have any camels? :D IF my Bangladesh kusband can find token camels to give- every farah SHOULD and MUST have camels. If you dont your are worthless to a Somali women. It is akin to a Somali women refusing to have kids, ever!? that is how serious the camel issue is- in the northern areas Only.

nuune   
Ibti, do you want to know a secret or you probably already knew, the level of divorce was zero during our grandfather's times, why, because they paid hundreds of camels for the wife, and they would not let her go that easily, so that is the survival mode, and that is what the communities now need with your suggetsion of gold, waa inuu ninka 1,000 gram iyo ka badan dhigaa before even consumating the marriage, that will reduce the divorce rate drastically, of course,the Jinnis in my neck of the wood, ma naqaano wax furniin la dhaho and we don't pay camels or gold, we have a simple procedure for arranging the Jinni girl to be married off, we call it: Qidanlufajkal(just writing the sound in Somali), and it means markaad aragto gabadha waa aragtida ugu horreysee waxad qodeysaa hog dheer si ay ugu dhax dhacdo, waad ka daba tagi, waad ka soo bixin hoga ayadoo tunta kuu saarantahey, and that is the romantic side, maba ku diideyso, I wish I could export this dhaqan to our Somalis.

Taleexi   

Ibti, I feel disgrace and empty that I cannot honor and pass on the tradition of my ancestors. I will see if the gurus of your family (Ngonge, Oodweyne and et tal) can make any other arrangement of going forward. I'm camel-less but I've a heart, how about if we make a deal though, no camels for you and you delay having babies for couple of years!

Taleexi   

nuune;957297 wrote:
Ibti
, do you want to know a secret or you probably already knew, the level of divorce was zero during our grandfather's times, why, because they paid hundreds of camels for the wife, and they would not let her go that easily, so that is the survival mode, and that is what the communities now need with your suggetsion of gold, waa inuu ninka 1,000 gram iyo ka badan dhigaa before even consumating the marriage, that will reduce the divorce rate drastically, of course,the Jinnis in my neck of the wood, ma naqaano wax furniin la dhaho and we don't pay camels or gold, we have a simple procedure for arranging the Jinni girl to be married off, we call it: Qidanlufajkal(just writing the sound in Somali), and it means markaad aragto gabadha waa aragtida ugu horreysee waxad qodeysaa hog dheer si ay ugu dhax dhacdo, waad ka daba tagi, waad ka soo bixin hoga ayadoo tunta kuu saarantahey, and that is the romantic side, maba ku diideyso, I wish I could export this dhaqan to our Somalis.

Xaliimooyinka qaar baa smart ah oo taladaada qaadan doono :)

Juxa   

So basically waxad leedahay guurka dhib iyo cariiri halaga dhigo oo ninka hala xujeeyo

dont you think xaaraanta iney badaneyso? and kalifka sowma diidana diinta? mise sheekadu waa aroosaa faqiir maaha