Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

Ethiopia diverts flow of Blue Nile

So we have a:

1. Fake Ethiopian

2. 'Inner African' - as if Egyptians aren't African - just compare the treatment of Somalis in Egypt vs South Africa or even Kenya. All it takes for these Africans is for Somalis to make one mistake and they will go all Zulu on them.

XX and most posters here epitomize the classic 19th century way of thinking about geopolitics and strategy, ie its adversarial zero sum game. i on the other hand wholeheartedly welcome the development of ethiopia as a beacon for us and opportunity.

Reeyo   

Mad_Mullah;957161 wrote:
So we have a:

1. Fake Ethiopian

2. 'Inner African' - as if Egyptians aren't African - just compare the treatment of Somalis in Egypt vs South Africa or even Kenya. All it takes for these Africans is for Somalis to make one mistake and they will go all Zulu on them.

Did you get dropped on your head as child?

No-one is discussing what qualifies as an African- and SA is a different topic.

Xaaji: I've decided to agree to disagree. You seem too focused on petty old century feuds. I would say one day when Somali football team vs Ethiopian National team bring that discussion for entertainment.

But here now, it has little relevance.

Mad_Mullah;957161 wrote:
So we have a:

1. Fake Ethiopian

My apologies. I should have said 'inner Sub-Saharan African'.

NGONGE   

Egyptian politicians caught in on-air Ethiopia dam gaffe

Egyptian politicians are embarrassed after being caught suggesting hostile acts against Ethiopia to stop it from building a dam across the Blue Nile.

They were inadvertently heard on live TV proposing military action at a meeting called by President Mohammed Morsi.

Ethiopia last week started diverting the flow of the river in preparation for the $4.2bn hydroelectric dam.

The Blue Nile is one of two major tributaries of the Nile.

On completion, the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam would be Africa's largest.

It is expected to produce 6,000 megawatts, and its reservoir is scheduled to start filling next year.

Apology

As the participants did not know that the meeting was being aired live by state TV, they spoke their minds unreservedly.

Their suggestions centred around military action as a decisive response to what one of them called a "declaration of war".

One of the politicians suggested sending special forces to destroy the dam; another thought of jet fighters to scare the Ethiopians; and a third called for Egypt to support rebel groups fighting the government in Addis Ababa.

"This could yield results in the diplomatic arena,'' liberal politician and former presidential candidate Ayman Nour told the gathering.

Muhammad Anwar al-Sadat, the leader of the secular Reform and Development party, said the presidency should have warned the participants in advance that the meeting would be broadcast live.

"I am afraid most of the politicians who attended the meeting were not well informed about such a sensitive topic," he told the BBC.

"But the statements made during the meeting do not represent the Egyptian official stance. It was just a chat between politicians who were angered by the Ethiopian plans."

A presidential adviser apologised for failing to warn politicians.

"I am sorry for any unintentional embarrassment," Bakinam al-Sharqawi said in a statement.

Egypt is the most populous country in the Middle East and highly dependent on the water of the world's longest river.

Ethiopia's decision to construct the dam challenges a colonial-era agreement that had given Egypt and Sudan rights to the Nile water, with Egypt taking 55.5 billion cubic metres and Sudan 18.5 billion cubic metres.

That agreement, first signed in 1929, took no account of the eight other nations along the 6,700km (4,160-mile) river and its basin.

Those countries have been agitating for a decade for a more equitable accord.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-22771563

Tallaabo   

The Egyptians are running around like headless chicken. This is the moment they feared would come all those years.

The Zack   

I like the part of "support the rebel groups". Time to get the ONLF some MIG 32s. They will do the dirty work for Egypt and get their independence in the process :)

P.s. I think they did this on purpose just to scare Xabashida.

Tallaabo   

Xaaji Xunjuf;959586 wrote:
Egypt has the man power and the military capacity to destroy all bug eyed xabashis.

That is an empty rhetoric xaaji. Ethiopia is rising power and Egypt knows it. It is also no secret Ethiopia imported a lot of highly sophisticated weaponry including drones from Israel. Don't underestimate the Xabshis.

Xabashis is all talk they have no sophisticated weapons Egypt is much more advanced in that department air force tanks everything the Egyptians are ready to strike Ethiopia and if that happens Ethiopia is finished. The best aircraft is the Su27 the Ethiopians have its a nice fighter yet.But they cant bomb Egypt with it Sudan will not allow them to use their airspace they can never attack Egypt. The Xabashis are scared to death , Egypt is not Eritrea lol.

The Zack   

They couldn't even beat Eritrea. This Talaabo dude is so unfamiliar what Ethiopia, the poorest country on earth, can/not do.

The Zack , Somalis compare themselves to Ethiopia ofcourse when compared to Somalia, Ethiopia is a super power. Because Somalia is in coma. But Ethiopia in reality is poor and divided and it has no modern army compared to Egypt. Ethiopians can fight a war i am not saying they are weak as people. They love fighting but they are nothing compared to Egypt. Yes even though Eritrea and Ethiopia was basically a draw.

Somalis and their obsession with wars! There is something call diplomacy guys. No country will go to war (preemptively) just because they have some sophisticated toys. This Nile thing will be solved by one way or another without a fight.