Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

Ethiopia diverts flow of Blue Nile

Khadafi   

N.O.R.F;956860 wrote:
Somalia should do this and Somalis should do that naga daaya baliis. The Ethiopians are doing well in all aspects of their development and Somalis are fighting over dusty towns instead of coming to an agreement. Somali leaders know their tuulo. Ethiopian leaders attended posh private schools in the west (and have good relations with the west). They are true nationalists and work towards bringing Ethiopia up out of poverty (yes they also brutalise in the process).

This is issue won't go away. Egypt will bide it's time but a compromise will be reached.

You could not have said it better. Beenta lisku sheegaayo niyada maa lisku dhisaa! Ethiopia is today making a yearly 10% BNP development while somalis are fighting of rusty desert towns with clan vendettas.

Even though Ethiopia is a artificial state with a tiny tigray minority it made a peaceful transition when Meles died.

What about Somalia then ?, By god it is a state built upon cards with testosterone of the Uganda army ;)

A BIG REASON why Somalia won't fix is because of Ethiopia from financing Clan thugs in Commander Siyad's time to actually invading Somalia after it had finally reached peace in the ICU era. Ethiopia will never allow Somalia to become a threat.

Ethiopian refugees won't go to Somalia, maybe they'll use it as a transit to go to Yemen but that's it. Why would they when they've got more stable countries next to them.

Reeyo   

N.O.R.F;956860 wrote:
Somalia should do this and Somalis should do that naga daaya baliis. The Ethiopians are doing well in all aspects of their development and Somalis are fighting over dusty towns instead of coming to an agreement. Somali leaders know their tuulo. Ethiopian leaders attended posh private schools in the west (and have good relations with the west). They are true nationalists and work towards bringing Ethiopia up out of poverty (yes they also brutalise in the process).

This is issue won't go away. Egypt will bide it's time but a compromise will be reached.

+1

A successful and developed Ethiopia is a positive for Somalia, especially in regards to trade. Wish for your neighbors what you wish for youself.

A strong Ethiopia is never in the interests of Somalis. A weak Ethiopia is in the interests of Somalis the best we can expect is if Ethiopia disintegrates in the future. You can still trade with them as separate countries and still make the best of it from an economic point of view. A united strong Ethiopia will have hegemony over the region which is not in our long term interests. Ethiopia is overrated my friends its weak nation do not fall for fancy constructions in the capital. Its the aid money they received Ethiopians are still poor and there is huge unemployment and health care is in a critical situation. Ethiopia looks good compared to Somalia because Somalia is on the lowest of the food chain. Reeyo Ethiopians have invaded Somalia they helped oromo militia who are allied to the TPLF gain more Somali galbeed territories. They have subjugated the Somalis in the Somali galbeed region. Ethiopia funded the warlords against each other they prolonged the Somali civil war. Trust me Ethiopias demise is in our interest

The Somali in me is wary of any potential Ethiopian plans to control our water supplies, but my inner African is rooting for Ethiopia as they're pitted against the egotistical Arabs of Egypt and the granola munching conservationist who have the audacity to chastise a starving nation from the comfort of their hydro-powered, air conditioned offices in Toronto.

PasserBy   

Sudan downplays negative impact of Ethiopian dam project

May 30, 2013 (KHARTOUM) - The Sudanese government has declared that the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD) does not pose a threat to Sudan, disclosing existence of consultations and understandings among Sudan, Ethiopia and Egypt on the project.

JPEG - 19.2 kb

Planned Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam project (file/AP)

Sudan’s foreign ministry denied statements attributed to the Sudanese ambassador in Cairo, Kamal Hassan Ali, in which he expressed Sudan’s rejection of the dam’s construction.

The foreign ministry spokesperson, Abu Bakr Al-Siddig, said on Wednesday that Sudan’s ambassador to Cairo didn’t describe the Ethiopian move to change the course of the river Nile as "shocking", denying reports that Sudan and Egypt would resort to the Arab League.

Al-Siddig added that Sudan’s ministry of water resources and electricity has affirmed that the Ethiopian move doesn’t impose any threat to Sudan, asserting that Sudan is committed to cooperate with Ethiopia and Egypt on issues of the river Nile’s water to serve the common interests of the three countries.

Sudan’s embassy in Cairo, for its part, denied the statements attributed to ambassador by a correspondent of the Anadolu Agency, adding that they were made on May 23 which is prior to the Ethiopian decision to change the course of the river.

The embassy further said that Ambassador Ali focused in his statements on the permanent and continuous coordination between Sudan and Egypt over all water issues, and relations between the two countries and the Nile Basin countries.

In April 2011 Ethiopia launched construction of the $4.8 billion dam on the Blue Nile, at about 40 km east of Sudan in the Benishangul-Gumuz region.

On Tuesday, Ethiopia began changing the course of the river Nile. According to a Ethiopian government official the diversion would only cover "a few meters" after which the river will continue flowing on its natural course.

The chief executive officer of the state-run Ethiopian Electric Power Corporation, Mihret Debebe, explained that the "dam is being built in the middle of the river; hence construction work can’t be carried out while the river is flowing".

The Ethiopian official further said that changing the course of the river "would allow us carry out civil engineering works without difficulty".

The construction of the dam project on the Blue Nile led to outcry from the downstream countries of Sudan and Egypt; which had control over most of the water resources using a treaty signed during colonial era.

Some Egyptian news media have responded negatively to the Renaissance Dam and demanded sacking the minister of irrigation.

The head of the program on Sudan and Nile basin at Al-Ahram Center for Political and Strategic Studies (ACPSS) said the approval of the minister of irrigation for the construction of the dam reflects submission and negligence as well as ignorance of the strategic repercussions of the dam, calling for dismissal of the minister.

Egypt and Sudan had previously argued that the construction of the dam would negatively affect their water shares and insisted the project should be blocked, calling on international donors against funding it.

However Sudanese president Omer Al-Bashir announced his support to the project in March 2012, saying his government understands the mutual benefits the project could offer Ethiopia and Sudan.

Last Saturday, Egyptian minister of irrigation, Mohamed Baha Eddin, said his country is not opposed to the Ethiopian dam project as it does not impair Egypt’s interests.

He told reporters that the Ethiopian prime minister emphasised his country’s eagerness to prioritise Egypt’s interests above their own.

Ethiopia on 28 May held in Guba area in Benishangul-Gumuz state a ceremony to celebrate the successful diversion of the start of the construction of the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam.

Speaking at the event, president of the GERD construction council and deputy prime minister Demeke Mekonnin said the diversion of the river has been successfully done to utilise the resource for the interest of Ethiopia and the neighbouring countries.

Ethiopia’s water and energy minister, Alemayehu Tegenu, also made some statements in the same direction stressing that the construction of the dam is being carried out in such a way that it maintains the mutual benefit of the Nile basin countries.

He underscored that the dam would enhance cooperation and economic integration and would not do any damage to the lower riparian countries.

Reeyo   

Xaaji, sorry but I strongly disagree with you. A prosperous East Africa is the aim here if you want a good future for the whole region. Look at the success Kenya's development has done and the East Africa economi. A country cannot develop fully without the other in that region.

Somalia's self-destruction is a reality and we don't need to point fingers. Ethiopia played a political game during the civil war and it benefited but we also can't ignore the crucial goal it played in mass immigration from war-torn Somalia. It's open doors saved millions of lives.

I don't see your point if a country is weak and disintegrates trade is impossible. Never mind international free trade legislation.

Just look at it this way- We are a coastal country and Ethiopia is land-locked. If it becomes successful- grows economically and it's in-ports and exports increase (commercial mainly)- Who will it turn to? Who does it need??

Think mate.

PasserBy   

Countries in the Horn of Africa are well advised to stop thinking in terms of a zero sum game. It doesn't benefit anybody. Somalia's misfortune is the region's misfortune. Instability in Somalia is being manipulated by external forces to keep Ethiopia from building the Nile dam. Al Shabab is financed by the sheikdoms in the gulf for this exact purpose. So far it hasn't materialized. It is my wish that Somalia gets back on its feet again and play its part in the economic integration of the region. The Horn of Africa is the lest developed part of Africa. We know why.

Ethiopia caused us lots of problems since the beginning of times and if we wish to succeed and if you want Somalis to prosper than that Ethiopian Empire must disintegrate by any means necessary. Kenya is a different story Ethiopia is to Huge its one of the largest countries in Africa much of their resources coffee is in southern and oromo regions including the fertile land in Benishangul-Gumuz. If Ethiopia separates into several countries where oromia and sidamo people can become independent countries. You can still establish trade relations with them on separate terms and they can still use your ports and we still can get allot of revenues maybe even more depends how many countries use our ports.These new countries can separately grow faster right now Ethiopia is not prospering only Tigray TPLF elite are prospering, the rest is in the deepest poverty. By the way Ethiopia is 90 million people demographically they will dominate the region, but if they are separate countries.We have nothing to worry. I am not against a prosperous east Africa i am for it.

PasserBy   

Xaaji,

It is not me but you who posts negative news about Somalia ad nauseam. Your [pseudo] nationalism will not pass the smell test.

Reeyo   

Xaaji seriously, your making little sense. Your dragging out old feuds to prove a point and you have yet to make it.

Passerby Somalia and Somaliland have little political disagreements about their future relations. You should not read to much into it , there is no nationalism on my part for Somalia i wish them all the best luck next to Somaliland. i am just talking about the long term interest of the region for my people Somaliland Including my people under Ethiopia. Who wish to be free Passerby now dont come and say u care about Somalia :D We know the TPLF dont like Somalia at all and they helped tear it apart by funding all of the warlords.

Reeyo;957137 wrote:
Xaaji seriously, your making little sense. Your dragging out old feuds to prove a point and you have yet to make it.

I fail to see how a strong Ethiopia is good for Somalia and Somaliland, even the points Chimera mentioned i didn't mention them.Its not old feuds. A strong Powerful Ethiopia is never in our interests.