Sign in to follow this  
Marksman

Christian missionaries in Somalia

Marksman   

What is your opinion about Christian missionaries in Somalia?

I read some people online talking about how to 'save' Somalis and it kind of disturbed me.

I'm not saying Christian Somalis disturb me. Not at all. But the spread of these teachings can lead to social friction if it gets too big.

Outreach Ideas

Christians need to help with the material and physical needs of the Somalis.

What is it with Christians and their need to make everyone Christian?

LINK

LINK

* Pray that the Somali's would come to know Jesus Christ, who is the Bread of Life.

* Pray for Somali Christians, who are greatly despised by their people.

* Ask God to touch the hearts of Christians in northern Ethiopia so that they would be willing to share God's love with the Somali's in the southern provinces.

* Ask the Lord to raise up Christian teachers who will work among the Somali and share Christ's love with them.

* Pray that God will raise up prayer teams to go and break up the soil through worship and intercession.

* Ask God to grant favor and wisdom to the missions agencies that are focusing on the Somali.

* Pray for effectiveness of the Jesus film among them.

* Ask God to anoint the Gospel as it goes forth via radio and television to the Somali.

* Pray that God will reveal Himself to them through dreams and visions.

* Ask the Holy Spirit to soften their hearts towards Christians so that they will be receptive to the Gospel.

* Ask the Lord to raise up strong local churches among the Somali.

This is an old saying about Somalis

“I knew an Italian priest who had spent over thirty years among the

Somalis and he made two converts, and it amazed me that he got even those two. The Prophet has no more fervent, and ignorant, followers, but that is not their fault that they are ignorant. Their natural intelligence is second to none and when the education factories start work among them they should surprise Africa, and themselves.”

nuune   

And here you are spreading their mission with this thread, no need to post it anyway, only makes further their cause!

Tallaabo   

Christians should be free to practice and preach their faith in peace in Somalia, Somaliland, and the other Somali regions. After all, everyone will have to answer to God on the Day of Judgment.

Marksman   

Nuune if you were so steadfast in your religion you would not have made that statement. As if Muslims have never been in contact with people of other faiths/ideologies.

Marksman   

I'm interested in opinions of individuals. No one can speak for someone else.

@Tallaabo I agree. But in my opinion there should be restrictions in spreading a different religion other than islam.

I'm all about social cohesion. Not about which religion/ideology is true or not.

Marksman;955396 wrote:
I'm interested in opinions of individuals. No one can speak for someone else.

@Tallaabo I agree. But in my opinion there should be restrictions in spreading a different religion other than islam.

I'm all about social cohesion. Not about which religion/ideology is true or not.

If Somalia chooses to go the non-secular route, then the government should at the most restrict funds from the public purse from funding the proselytizing of other groups, but not actively curtail their rights to propagate their ideas.

Tallaabo   

I believe Islam is about choice be it religion, marriage, or lifestyle. It is not a totalitarian political system which must be imposed on society. The Quran is the primary source of Islamic theology and wisdom and in that Holy book Almighty God said that there is no compulsion in region. Anything other than complete freedom for people to choose what they believe in and practice is un-Islamic to me.

Johnny B   

Tallaabo;955403 wrote:
I believe Islam is about choice be it religion, marriage, or lifestyle. It is not a totalitarian political system which must be imposed on society. The Quran is the primary source of Islamic theology and wisdom and in that Holy book Almighty God said that there is no compulsion in region. Anything other than complete freedom for people to choose what they believe in and practice is un-Islamic to me.

And what was The punishment for leaving Islam ?

Haatu   

Blackflash, I can only speak for myself but then I also know that nearly all Somalis are Muslim and are not happy to see a religion other than Islam propagated in their country.

One question you all seem to be overlooking is, why does Christianity need to be propagated in Somalia in the first place?

Safferz   

Haatu;955414 wrote:
Blackflash, I can only speak for myself but then I also know that nearly all Somalis are Muslim and are not happy to see a religion other than Islam propagated in their country.

One question you all seem to be overlooking is, why does Christianity need to be propagated in Somalia in the first place?

Because proselytizing is a key part of the Christian religion, and they look for places that have few Christians to go spread their message. They believe in the truth of their religion and falsity of Islam in the same way Muslims feel Islam is the truth and other religions are in error. They also believe their religion teaches them to help those living in poverty and hardship, so places like Somalia provide the best of both worlds for those seeking to do charity work while teaching others about their religion.

I agree with Tallaabo's comments, but with qualification. I have never liked the missionary enterprise, particularly for how destructive it has been historically in an African context. I have no issue with Christianity and Somali Christians should be free to practice their religion in peace and security, but I am hostile to an institution that has always been an extension of Western hegemony in Africa and has traditionally taken advantage of the helpless and vulnerable in society.

It won't happen, they can't even work properly in countries like Egypt and Sudan. What do you think will happen to them in Somalia, especially with extremist groups like Shabab around.

They build a church in Garissa once where they were trying to convert poor Somali refugees to Christianity. Shabab blew it up within the same year.

D.O.C   

First of all, I think those of you who are muslims shouldn't be debating about islam unless you have an adequate knowledge for our dear religion. Secondly, this is a playground for everyone in any kind, therefore you guys need to be cautious, attentive and watchful of what you (SOLers) write. There are certain organisations and charities monitoring our activities in this forum for their benefits and if Mr Marksman is an associate these organisations, I am not surprised!

Kuligood hala soo qab qabto, kadibna 'Madaxa haloo dheereyo'.

Qof kii lagu tuhmo inuu dadkaas yahay.....ayagana Madaxa haloo dheereyo......Waliba meel eey dadka goob joog kayihiin. Waa Fikrada NY. :)