Sign in to follow this  
Aaliyyah

Restaurant, cars torched in fourth night of Swedish rioting

Aaliyyah   

sweden_riots.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg

STOCKHOLM — Rioters outside Stockholm burned cars and trash cans, attacked schools and pelted emergency workers with rocks in a fourth night of violence sparked by a police shooting in one of Sweden’s most ethnically diverse suburbs.

As many as 30 cars were on fire in the Swedish capital’s southern suburbs, while 11 were set alight in the Husby area, north of the city centre, where the unrest broke out four days ago, police spokesman Kjell Lindgren said by phone Thursday. Police detained one person, a 16-year-old girl suspected of preparing an act of arson. That followed eight arrests since Tuesday.

Violence erupted about a week after police shot a 69-year-old man brandishing a knife in Husby, an area dotted with high rises built in the 1970s. The suburb is home to about 12,000 people, 60 per cent of whom were born outside the Nordic country.

Sweden, where immigrant unemployment is about twice the national average, has suffered similar unrest before. In 2008, rioters clashed with police outside the southern Swedish city of Malmoe. Back then, the violence also spread to Stockholm’s Tensta and Husby suburbs.

“While the situation has become better in Husby, where a lot of local people have become engaged to calm things down,” it “has intensified on the southern side of the city,” Lindgren said. “We will continue to show our presence in the suburbs with strengthened resources.”

Thursday night, firefighters trying to rescue a restaurant in Skogaas were attacked by stone-throwing youths. Police officers were also attacked in Husby. Several other suburbs reported vandalism and fires.

“The local families I met yesterday are extremely angry and sad and they hope those responsible get harsh sentences,” Adam Khoder, a member of Prime Minister Fredrik Reinfeldt’s Moderate Party for the local Rinkeby-Kista council, which is a part of Stockholm’s local government, said in an interview. “This is not normal.”

Three police officers suffered minor injuries after being hit by rocks, none requiring hospitalization, Lindgren said. In Raagsved, 11 people were detained. Police are working to identify more rioters, many of whom were masked.

There were similar scenes on Tuesday, when about 30 cars were set on fire in areas with some of Sweden’s highest immigration rates. A Husby school and cultural center were set alight while garbage cans burned across other suburbs. A school was set on fire in Skaerholmen and a police station and buildings in central Jakobsberg were vandalized. The average age of those arrested on Tuesday was about 20, police said. They didn’t provide further details identifying those detained.

“I don’t know the reasons behind what’s happened, but perhaps these people didn’t go to school, didn’t apply for jobs and just haven’t tried,” Khoder said. “But it is important to mention that many of them did not come from Husby and that this is about a few criminal youths, not entire neighborhoods.”

Aaliyyah   

Cambuulo, it looks pretty bad. I wonder if the swedish solers can shed some light on what exactly is happening there.

Aaliyyah   

SomaliPhilosopher;954391 wrote:
yes

When I read your other thread, I thought he left voluntarily. He was a decent Soler why was he banned?

Cara.   

This is one case where I think the community bears some responsibility for the actions of their youth.

D.O.C   

Ilaahay haka qaboojiyo. These refugee people can't adapt to the local Genetically Modified Food. why cant they grow their own food if they can't behave? it's so unfortunate these people are acting in this way and causing such a havoc to the community. There is law and order in this country so follow it.

Aaliyyah   

D.O.C;954400 wrote:
Ilaahay haka qaboojiyo. These refugee people can't adapt to the local Genetically Modified Food. why cant they grow their own food if they can't behave? it's so unfortunate these people are acting in this way and causing such a havoc to the community. There is law and order in this country so follow it.

I don't see the correlation between GM foods and the way these youth chose to conduct themselves.

Aaliyyah   

Cara.;954398 wrote:
This is one case where I think the community bears some responsibility for the actions of their youth.

I always put responsibility on the community ..after all the youth came from homes. And it is their families who are responsible to instill in them good values/ethics. But, I still don't know what caused these riots? so it is a lil early to place faults on anyone.

D.O.C   

Aaliyyah;954402 wrote:
I don't see the correlation between GM foods and the way these youth chose to conduct themselves.

GMF was blamed for hyperactivity and overreaction, it is not I am personally correlating this activity with GMF, but I was watching a program about GMF and these food changed our diet and causing so much tense in our daily lives, however scientists are saying that people have to fed. Before 1990s these kind of activities never used to happened in this capacity. Check out BBC science and technology program.

Aaliyyah   

D.O.C;954410 wrote:
GMF was blamed for hyperactivity and overreaction, it is not I am personally correlating this activity with GMF, but I was watching a program about GMF and these food changed our diet and causing so much tense in our daily lives, however scientists are saying that people have to fed. Before 1990s these kind of activities never used to happened in this capacity. Check out BBC science and technology program.

I think there is more to this story than the consumption of GM foods. But I am aware the many speculations on the health effects of GM foods.

D.O.C   

Aaliyyah;954455 wrote:
I think there is more to this story than the consumption of GM foods. But I am aware the many speculations on the health effects of GM foods.

I do agreed with you walaal, this GMF was out of the context. I was actually disapointed with these continuing and unnecessary violents in our world. Apologised for the confusion inaaaaar!