Sign in to follow this  
Saalax

Mark Simmonds UK minister to Africa: We recognize Somaliland's aspirations

What history if Somalia and Somaliland cannot agree on their future relations and need a mediating team they have to be from Europe.The Europeans are indifferent or the Americans to i don't mind either. Aslong as they are not Arabs or Africans i am very happy.

It bothers me when i hear a grown up person alleging we recognized Somaliland Independent, truth be TOLD Somaliland was an Independent Nation before South if you go and look and read UN charters of Independent you will see Somaliland as an Independent Nation,still not removed from the record. the mistake Somaliland made was joining the South, then it was a good thing to do but now we realized it was a missed opportunity, all is said and done, I have told and advised my Reeer Habaryaro to work on PR, that is what Somaliland needed now PR firm or word of mouth by Somaliland Diaspora to work on it. By the way forgive me if i have offended any Soul, i mean no hard love you all in my own way.

^^ Somaliland already hired PR firms so its going the right directions well having talks with Somalia on the future relations. Somaliland is still aggressively fighting for its right place on the world stage and it will come i am certain that Somaliland will be recognized. Somaliland is already independent on all fronts politically socially economically. Somaliland just want the world to honer their wishes to. But as long i believe as long as the Europeans in the long term mediate between the 2 countries. An official exit way out will be the deal eventually.

Today 5/22/13 will be the last time i will discuss issues concerning about Somaliland Independence or right of self determination, Just piece of History, British Gov need to honor their part of the deal because Somaliland did honored. move on and will be back during the announcement of Somaliland Indepedence retroactive to 06/1960.

History [edit]In May 1960, the British government stated that it would be prepared to grant independence to the then protectorate of British Somaliland, with the intention that the territory would unite with the Italian-administered Trust Territory of Somalia (the former Italian Somaliland). The Legislative Council of British Somaliland passed a resolution in April 1960 requesting independence and union with the Trust Territory of Somalia, which was scheduled to gain independence on 1 July that year. The legislative councils of both territories agreed to this proposal following a joint conference in Mogadishu.[2]

On June 26, 1960, the former British Somaliland protectorate briefly obtained independence as the State of Somaliland, with the Trust Territory of Somalia following suit five days later.[3][4] The following day, on June 27, 1960, the newly-convened Somaliland Legislative Assembly approved a bill that would formally allow for the union of the State of Somaliland with the Trust Territory of Somalia on 1 July 1960.[2]

Muhammad Haji Ibrahim Egal, who had previously served as an unofficial member of the former British Somaliland protectorate's Executive Council and the Leader of Government Business in the Legislative Council, became the Prime Minister of the State of Somaliland during its planned transition to union with the Trust Territory of Somalia, the former Italian Somaliland.[5]

During the State of Somaliland's short life, there were fears of clashes with Ethiopian tribes.[6]

On July 1, 1960, five days after the former British Somaliland protectorate obtained independence as the State of Somaliland, the territory united as scheduled with the Trust Territory of Somalia to form the Somali Republic.[3][4]

A government was formed by Abdullahi Issa, with Aden Abdullah Osman Daar as President and Abdirashid Ali Shermarke as Prime Minister, later to become President (from 1967–1969). On July 20, 1961 and through a popular referendum, the Somali people