Sign in to follow this  
Saalax

Mark Simmonds UK minister to Africa: We recognize Somaliland's aspirations

^^I understand the British security interests and perhaps potential concessions of extraction rights (on land and off shore). what I am shooting down is the conspiracy theory that says in order for westerns firm to make an invest in Jubbaland shores, they must annex them first , give them to Kenya and then start exploration and production through Kenya :D.

By any angle you look at , it does not make sense. Jubbaland is one of Somalia's most prized region , and all Somalis have an eye on it. To compromise its territorial integrity is a sure recipe for an eternal instability in the region.

D.O.C   

Oodweyne;953219 wrote:
^^^But this is not government secret but it's what they will tell you if you know any Tory MP particularly those close to the government leadership and in turn ask them what is this new found love their government have discovered for Somalia.

The info can be shared in different form e.g writing in your own words (or exactly as they are), but it's unethical to copy his picture, name and other informations and distribute or circulate around in the public websites. It is breach of confidentiality.

^^But Maritime disputes has an established venue for resolution. Kenya and Somalia never had a maritime disputes. As far as I know there are none to be had.

Momentary exuberance for the potential of economic gains as a result of Somalia's prolonged civil war does not count :D . It is over awoowe. Kenya cannot claim one inch of Somali territory.

^^No : D :D , I am not playing a game

I was just correcting you in taking serous about conspiracy theories that are intended to propel the gullible to the streets. I guess you are injecting some politics into the discussion which is fine by me, but lets not entertain conspiracy theories.

International community with respect to Somali political disputes such as the one in Kismayo has been to quietly enforce course correction on one party or the other. They have been part of the Jubbaland effort from the get go...soon we will see some efforts to close the obvious gaps

^^Take the position of IGAD, AMISOM, and neighboring countries as a hint as to where the said IC will eventually come down on this issue:

1) IGAD fully supported this process --one thinks with consultation with IC

2) AMISOM enabled and worked with the admin in Kismayo , secured the conference venue for the reconciliation and peace making to continue , which eventually produce current leadership. It is interesting that AMISOM (and I mean AMISOM command in Mogadishu) turned back certain flights from Mogadishu and denied them to land in Kismayo to ensure the smooth going of the conference.

3) neighboring countries has been very supportive this process for security reasons , particularly Ethiopia and Kenya. Thus far no country spoke against it other than Jabbuuti.

Of course all of this could change , and this thing could be dramatically reversed but it is unlikely given the political and security ramifications

Carafaat   

xiinfaniin;953228 wrote:
^^But Maritime disputes has an established venue for resolution. Kenya and Somalia never had a maritime disputes. As far as I know there are none to be had.

Momentary exuberance for the potential of economic gains as a result of Somalia's prolonged civil war does not count
:D
. It is over awoowe. Kenya cannot claim one inch of Somali territory.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/20/us-kenya-exploration-idUSBRE83J0M120120420

NGONGE   

Xaaji Xunjuf;953022 wrote:
Will be very difficult i don't see how they can clarify their future relations with out Europeans mediating.

They so far have discussed everything in the book about cooperation security aid and even to modernize the troops in both Somalia and Somaliland. But what kind of future relations will the 2 countries have , they have one thing to discuss is the airspace who controls what and revenues. But it ends there Somalia will not stop claiming Somaliland and Somaliland will never drop its statehood. So there needs to be mediation from the western powers the united states and the European union.

You can only mediate in a dispute, Xaaji. There can't be a dispute if the two sides are talking. Wax fahan.

NGONGE;953480 wrote:
You can only mediate in a dispute, Xaaji. There can't be a dispute if the two sides are
talking
. Wax fahan.

They so far are not talking about their future relations the fundamental issue, we know there is a dispute Somalia wants Somaliland to be part of Somalia. And Somaliland does not want to be part of Somalia. Where do you go from here you can talk about sharing fishery expertise and what not but some where down the line the 2 need mediation. Unless you believe Somaliland will drop its independence statehood or Somalia will recognize Somalilands independence.

NGONGE   

^^ For someone to medaite between the two, the talks need to fail. The talks have not failed yet dee (though we all expect them to sooner or later). When they do, there will be no shortage of mediators. But it's a tad rude for anyone to get involved just yet.

Xaaji Xunjuf;953022 wrote:
Will be very difficult i don't see how they can clarify their future relations
with out Europeans mediating

smh

NGONGE;953500 wrote:
^^ For someone to medaite between the two, the talks need to fail. The talks have not failed yet dee (though we all expect them to sooner or later). When they do, there will be no shortage of mediators. But it's a tad rude for anyone to get involved just yet.

Aslong as you believe mediation is needed we can agree whether its now or in a years time mediation is needed. It was actually better to start with mediators because lots of time could have been spared.

Sayid*Somal;953506 wrote:
They will be much better than the
Europeans
you love and trust so much.

The Europeans are indifferent and have no motives yes i trust them to be neutral.