Sign in to follow this  
Shinbir Majabe

BREAKING NEWS: We will defend Somaliland, Ethiopian PM Hailemariam Desalegn

malistar2012;952762 wrote:
XAAJI

so about decade SNM was cooperating with enemy of Somalia as you admit , Terrorizing Somali cities and civilian are you proud ?

Enemy of Somalia general barre dropped all of Somalias claims on the Somali galbeed region in 1988 and,restored relations with the Derg regime. Some of general barre inner circles suggested to make peace with the SNM. He rejected he made peace with mengistu in the hope SNM would stop attacking his regime and drop the struggle. Wrong was he the SNM stepped up the game and by 1990 he ended up to be the mayor of Mogadishu.

Safferz   

Xaaji Xunjuf;952764 wrote:
Enemy of Somalia general barre dropped all of Somalias claims on the Somali galbeed region in 1988 and,restored relations with the Derg regime. Some of general barre inner circles suggested to make peace with the SNM. He rejected he made peace with mengistu in the hope SNM would stop attacking his regime and drop the struggle. Wrong was he the SNM stepped up the game and by 1990 he ended up to be the mayor of Mogadishu.

Not exactly Xaaji, Ethiopia made peace with Somalia in the 1980s so it could focus on Eritrea, but at the same time it shifted its strategy to supporting insurgent groups within Somalia like SNM in order to weaken the Somali state, and they succeeded. Strong Somali states are not in Ethiopia's interest, and they have worked towards destabilizing the Somali peninsula for centuries now. It is disappointing to see Somalis pleased with this news.

Safferz Ethiopias derg regime made officially peace with Somalia in 1988 April they restored relations before that there were no relations. Somalia dropped all of its claims to the Somali galbeed region. The WSLF was about to be officially disbanded the Afaraad brigade already united with the SNM, the 8th brigade joined the Djiboutians in diredawa. President siad bare was feeling the heat because from 1986 there were so many attacks on Siyad bares officers in from attacking in the interior Kidnapping Military officers and hijacking planes. Siyad bare had to do something. And the SNM was the only Somali rebel movement still in Ethiopia ssdf gave up in 1984. But you are right Mengistu and the derg needed peace to the Eritrean rebels in march in 1988 they completely destroyed 65% of the derg forces at the battle of Afabet in Eritrea the EPLF fighters made great victory against the derg. And they were closing in and Mengistu needed peace to and few months later the battle of shire began led by the Tigrean peoples liberation front. And in begin 1989 the SPM group of O'gaden officers started a new rebellion. Because of what President siad bare did signing a peace deal with colonel mengistu.

Safferz   

Oodweyne;952767 wrote:
^^^ the point you are overlooking is that Barre regime have disavowed all claim on Somali territory under the Ethiopia control, and in return the Ethiopia promise them not to support the then SNM insurgency.

Hence why when the Mingestu regime have asked the then SNM to leave their country as the agreement they had with Barre have stipulated it, then the SNM in turn have decided to enter the country in 1988 with the intention of ending his rule over their land.

This is the crucial point you are desperately trying to minimise it in here. Which means to Barre regime of that time the idea of defeating the then SNM insurgency was far more important to him and to his government than the idea of legally holding on the "ownership" of the Western territories of the Somali peninsula against the likes of the Ethiopians regime of that time.

lol what makes you think Ethiopian support of SNM ended after 1988?

Safferz   

Oodweyne;952771 wrote:
^^^They have asked to leave their territory. Or didn't they teach you that in that Kacaan's inspired revisionist history you were suckled with?
:D
:D

My uncles were the SNM leaders people like you celebrate each year, so don't try that with me :) Leaving the territory did not mean the end of Ethiopian support, it's simply a shift in strategy.

LANDER   

Oodweyne;952767 wrote:
^^^ the point you are overlooking is that Barre regime have disavowed all claim on Somali territory under the Ethiopia control, and in return the Ethiopia promise them not to support the then SNM insurgency.

Hence why when the Mingestu regime have asked the then SNM to leave their country as the agreement they had with Barre regime have stipulated it, then the SNM in turn have decided to enter the country - northern Somalia - in 1988 with the intention of ending his misrule over their land.

This is the crucial point you are desperately trying to minimise it in here. Which means to Barre regime of that time the idea of defeating the then SNM insurgency was far more important to him and to his government than the idea of legally holding on to the "ownership" of the Western territories of the Somali peninsula against the likes of the Ethiopians regime of that time.

I don't think he's overlooking anything, it is a deliberate attempt by many especially those who hail from the 'defeated lot' to muddy the waters and re-write history. 'Ethiopia won the war for the SNM' is the falsehood they like to often propagate. If you repeat it often enough...

Safferz   

LANDER;952774 wrote:
I don't think he's overlooking anything, it is a deliberate attempt by many especially those who hail from the 'defeated lot' to muddy the waters and re-write history. 'Ethiopia won the war for the SNM' is the falsehood they like to often propagate. If you repeat it often enough...

I'm a she, sweetie. If you are going to make an intelligent contribution to a historical discussion, feel free to do so, but as of now you've said absolutely nothing here. Don't simplify my position to what your narrow mind can rationalize.

Oodweyne;952776 wrote:

Safferz, saaxiib, regardless of that the Mingistu regime didn't do any favour for the SNM when they have told them leave our land for we have secured a major concession from the barre regime in the form of having the Western territory of Somali peninsula signed off to us. Hence what they have done for the SNM after that day was nothing in comparison to what they have secured from the pseudo-nationalist that was the barre regime of the day.

And I'm saying it is not that simple, and I'm surprised that you are taking the formalities of a peace agreement at face value. It's disingenuous and historically dishonest. I'm not sure why there's a need to ignore the Ethiopian factor in discussions of Somali insurgencies, they could not have and did not succeed without their backing.

Safferz   

Oodweyne;952785 wrote:
Safferz,

Well in the scale of moral failure not to say nothing about national betrayal, the idea of sovereign government signing off a bulk of the territory in whose its claim she went to war over it twice so that in turn she can defeat an insurgent movement is major league dereliction of duty in comparison to that same insurgency movement getting a help from another country in order to defeat their nominal sovereign government.

Hence it may be something you wish to overlook it but in historical perspective the two episodes are not remotely equal.

You are the only one here talking about moral failure and national betrayal, stay on topic instead of projecting issues I haven't raised.

Safferz   

I think I've had enough of the politics forum for today, I tend to avoid posting here for the reasons above. Cheers Oodweyne :)

gooni   

Tadhase dantiisa ayaa ku jirta inuu mid mid u difaaco una yeero markay xafladaha aqoonsiga kusoo daalaan, asagoo weliba xishoodkooda aad ula dhacsan, gooba goobaysiguna waa danta guud ee reer tadhase

Codsigii sanadkan snm aduunka u qoratay waxaa ugu muhiimsanaa in xafiisyada UN'ka aan muqdisho laga dhigin loona raro ADIS iyo hawada soomaaliya kenya sii hayso,waxayna garan la'yihiin xataa haddaad koonfurta wax un ka doonaysid, ayagoo qurxoon oo dhisan af soomaali kula hadla oodiina weyna soo qaata,si nabarkan daa'uuska ku yaala bal mar un maro loogu duubo.

The separatist brothers from our Northern regions are wasting a lot on ink commenting on the policy ramification of a news that is found to be substantially false .

How extricable

Carafaat   

Both Ethiopia and Kenya care little about Somalias or Somalilands interest. They dont want to

See a strong Somali State nor an Unified Somali people. Their support for diffrent regions

Is merely intended to weaken the Somalis and further divide them. Something many dont want to see for clannish reasons.

Our goverment Mogadishu needs to come with an ingenieus strategy to counter these policies.

Ethiopia and Kenya are not the enemy. They sure have interest in the region, which is a normal thing. But the enemy is the glaring reality of lack of leadership particularly where it matters the most , Mogadishu and its vicinity .

Blame everybody but yourself has been the motto of that neighborhood --you need to realize that you destroyed your statehood, looted your infrastructure and still play ostrich as Somalia's political reality stares at you at the face

wake up

nuune;952741 wrote:
Oodka
, can you please remind the folks here that the source of this article is not to be trusted as it is from oppossition from the Ethiopian side.

Also,
Oodka
, can you also remind them the author of this article is called:
Somali-Ethio
as it is clear from the source.

I am actually concerned with the sources of materials that are lately being posted here on SOL.

Shame that Somali Media couldn't verified their sources and mostly they are emotional drove. check how bigger media names like HCTV, Somali channel, Haatuf, Midnimo and more failed to understand this fake news from etho-forum.

Source: http://www.ethiopianreview.com/forum...ic.php?t=53171