Sign in to follow this  
Xaaji Xunjuf

Former Islamist warlord elected president of Somali region

Former Islamist warlord elected president of Somali region

ReutersBy Drazen Jorgic | Reuters

Somalia's Sheikh Ahmed Madobe, leader of the Ras Kamboni, a pro Mogadishu militia which has fought alongside the Kenyan Defence Forces in southern Somalia, is seen with his troops at the main seaport of Somalia's port city of Kismayu, October 5, 2012. REUTERS/Richard Lough

View Photo

Reuters/Reuters - Somalia's Sheikh Ahmed Madobe, leader of the Ras Kamboni, a pro Mogadishu militia which has fought alongside the Kenyan Defence Forces in southern Somalia, is seen with his troops at the main …more

By Drazen Jorgic

MOGADISHU (Reuters) - A former Islamist warlord was declared president of Somalia's southern region on Wednesday, something likely to upset the government in Mogadishu as it tries to assert its authority.

Although Ahmed Madobe, leader of powerful Ras Kamboni militia, fought against the al Qaeda-linked militants that tried to seize control of the country, he is not viewed favourably by the central government.

Hours after the constitutional assembly in the volatile Jubaland region elected Madobe president, a rival warlord who is widely seen to be backed by Mogadishu, Barre Hirale, declared himself to be the president.

Madobe and Hirale are backed by rival clans competing for control of the strategically important port city of Kismayu.

"There is a risk that Somalia will be split along clan lines," said one Western diplomat, who expressed concern that the al Qaeda-linked al Shabaab may benefit from any clashes between rival militias.

"As we get closer to building a federal state in Somalia, we actually risk it disintegrating," the diplomat said.

Madobe was a former governor of Kismayu during an administration that was routed by Ethiopian forces sent into Somalia between 2006-2009 with tacit U.S. backing.

His Ras Kamboni militia has fought alongside Kenyan troops over the past year, flushing al Shabaab out of their strongholds in the south.

Ras Kamboni has been unwilling to cede to the central government control over Kismayu where rival warlords fight to be able to tax charcoal exports to Gulf states and levy duty on imported contraband, including weapons, sugar and electronics.

"These two 'presidents' of Jubaland are both warlords who are actually proxies for Kenya and Somalia. We could be on a precipice of clan warfare, if not regional conflict," said a regional intelligence source.

The government did not comment on the election but Abdirahman Mohamud Farole, president of Puntland, another semi-autonomous region which has a fractious relationship with Mogadishu, congratulated Madobe on his election.

My God! This is the 10th Jubbaland-related Thread you made today, Mr. Xunjuf. For a man, who hates anything Somalia. For a man, who's tribal territory doesn't pass Hargeisa's Southern tip, you spend unhealthy amount of time and effort in issues relating to Somalia (Anything south of Oog all the way to Kismaayo), specifically to the "Enemy Clan". :D

Classified;950643 wrote:
My God! This is the 10th Jubbaland-related Thread you made today, Mr. Xunjuf. For a man, who hates anything Somalia. For a man, who's tribal territory doesn't pass Hargeisa's Southern tip, you spend unhealthy amount of time and effort in issues relating to Somalia (Anything south of Oog all the way to Kismaayo), specifically to the "Enemy Clan".
:D

Who said i hate Somalia, i am in disagreement with some Somali leaders but there is no hate

And this is the second topic today i made about Jubbaland and Kismayo its hot news.

Enemy clan , what enemy clan?

Xaaji Xunjuf;950645 wrote:
Who said i hate Somalia, i am in disagreement with some Somali leaders but there is no hate

And this is the second topic today i made about Jubbaland and Kismayo its hot news.

Enemy clan , what enemy clan?

I suggest you should worry about what's going on in Gabiley, Wajaale, and Hargeisa. You share absolutely no ties to matters pertaining to Jubbaland, unless you fear that such stability, progress and development can and will threat the security of Gabiley. :D

Ahmed Madoobe has got this one in his bag, and Sheikh Shariif was once an Islamist warlord. Its not going to change the reality on the ground the greater support he enjoys within Jubbaland.

Classified i am not from gabiley and if there is new interesting about gabiley or borama i will post it or any other part of SL.

You have a problem me discussing Jubbaland affairs why is that.

Are you saying people from SL should not talk about Somalia?

i Talk about all country south sudan and other nations it doesn't mean i have to have ties.

This is hot news iska daawo niyo