Sign in to follow this  
Reeyo

What does it mean to be a man?

Reeyo   

My little nephew came up to me today as he is having trouble in school and asked me this question. I was just as lost as him.

So I'm hoping some wise odey out here might throw a poem or a song and define the 'Somali man'.

:D

Wadani   

A 'Somali Man' should be courageous, stoic, ambitious, generous, just, confident, and a leader for his family and his clan/community.

Wadani   

Reeyo;950273 wrote:
Wadani aint you brave lol.

All the above can easily be applied to a woman.

Blasphemy

Blessed   

^Waa runteed. Only the clan posturing and chest beating ayaad dumar ku dhaantaan, even though some women do that rather well these days :P

underdog   

Reeyo;950273 wrote:

All the above can easily be applied to a woman.

True. BUT every ship can only have one Captain.

Reeyo   

I think the leadership quality has been trialed by women and it has shown itself to be a unisex quality and in fact in modern times women seem to embody the concept much better with results of quality standards higher for the family.

So Underdog do add your two pence.

there's a crises of sorts facing the somali man since the 'troubles' - 1977-present

its quiet pitiful to see a 40+ year old Somali man who faces the following problems:

1. unemployed and whose role as the head of the household is replaced by welfare and hand-outs.

2. whose inability to provide for his children beyond the basic....... has earnt him their wrath and utter contempt

3. whose nagging wife.....with her constant threats to make him homeless makes him feel like nothing

4. whose lack of skills, initiative and will power....has apparently closed every opportunity to him

i don't know but this, for me, is the image of the somali man. i know things are changing but this will always be my understanding of the 'somali man. this is what i ran away from. of course, there are all sorts of factors at play......but its futile to solely lay the blame on the somali man. there are wider underpinnings and we ought to make considerations for these.

Wadani   

Reeyo;950284 wrote:
I think the leadership quality has been trialed by women and it has shown itself to be a unisex quality and in fact in modern times women seem to embody the concept much better with results of quality standards higher for the family.

So Underdog do add your two pence.

Just because Somali men have abdicated their role as leaders as a result of the social upheavals of the last two decades doesn't mean woman are better at leading than men. Somali men are currently at their worst state in their history, so ofcourse our hardworking and brave Somali women wiill outshine us.

Wadani   

Alpha Blondy;950285 wrote:
there's a crises of sorts facing the somali man since the
'troubles'
- 1977-present

its quiet pitiful to see a 40+ year old Somali man who faces the following problems:

1. unemployed and whose role as the head of the household is replaced by welfare and hand-outs.

2. whose inability to provide for his children beyond the basic....... has earnt him their wrath and utter contempt

3. whose nagging wife.....with her constant threats to make him homeless makes him feel like nothing

4. whose lack of skills, initiative and will power....has apparently closed every opportunity to him

i don't know but this, for me, is the image of the somali man. i know things are changing but this will always be my understanding of the 'somali man. this is what i ran away from. of course, there are all sorts of factors at play......but its futile to solely lay the blame on the somali man. there are wider underpinnings and we ought to make considerations for these.

+1

Reeyo   

Al- Using the above, would you say it's time to redefine the Somali man identity?

If so how and what?

Johnny B   

To be a man in its most complex form means to be constantly surrounded by females that remind you that you are not a female, in it's simplest form to be a man means to have that gut feeling of you really being the one.

In this particular case it's ubvious that he showed some extra intelligence among his freinds when they were expecting him to be dumbass, hence "be a man". ( read : be a dumbass ). and i am neither wise nor odey.;)

Alpha Blondy;950285 wrote:
there's a crises of sorts facing the somali man since the
'troubles'
- 1977-present

WTF did i just write? if ever there was an example of how to be a ''pseudo-intellectual''.......then surely, it doesn't get better than this...ee sida uula socoda, y'all....:P:D

Reeyo   

Johnny B;950290 wrote:
To be a man in its most complex form means to be constantly surrounded by females that remind you that you are not a female, in it's simplest form to be a man means to have that gut feeling of you really being the one.

In this particular case it's ubvious that he showed some extra intelligence among his freinds when they were expecting him to be dumbass, hence "be a man". ( read : be a dumbass ). and i am neither wise nor odey.
;)

Indeed the title of a wise odey would suit you oh clever one. But I've already gave him the good self-confidence speech to be unique and not follow what expectations his friends may have.

Wadani: Women led households are more successful in contemporary society. That's a fact and as community we are doing much better in producing intellectuals and successful business and political leaders.