Sign in to follow this  
Nin-Yaaban

How do you deal with alcoholism?

since falling seriously ill about 7 weeks ago, i now have an addiction to pre-packaged foods. everything has to be either canned, sealed or bottled. it ruining my life. i don't know what to do? i've noticed i'm getting skinnier......HELP ME PLEASE.

Carafaat   

Nin Yaaban,

I think substance abuse is often caused by loosing touch with ones self. To find back your own self(true idendity), you need to do some soul searching. Change of people and environment is often the first step in finding a solution. Specially if you are young and hang around with gaalo or others who are far away from their own self, one tends to loose ones identity as well and then use alcohol or drugs in order to cope with them and with your lost self. Specially their women tend to be the devil in disguise. One of the best things I have ever done is stop hanging around with them. This is a necessary step in order to find and discover ones own belief, culture, own people and own identity.

Does this make sense?

^ i swear you have at least 4 addictions. kulaaha.....I think substance abuse is often caused by loosing touch with ones self.

get real, inaar.

NGONGE;948247 wrote:
It's not NY who has this addiction poeple. Because if it were him, we already know what the solution is.

NY joined SOL in 2003. NY says above that the addiction of the khamri has lasted for ten years. Therefore, SOL is the reason NY started drinking. Solution: NY to quit SOL.
:D

On a serious note, addictions are not easy to ditch. Though for many former addicts, picking up a new sort of (healthy) habit usually helps (stamp collecting or chess playing, etc).

funny but this is the best advice, find a different/healthy habit

Taleexi   

If the person is willing to change there is lots of help out there. "The will to change" is a precondition before any heeling process can begin. Recognizing the problem and its source and what strategies to combat with it remain to be secondary.

Reeyo   

I think all the best advice have been give:

1> Accept the problem

2- Change your lifestyle, peers etc

3-Seek professional help/rehab

4- Seek a neutral country to break your cycle and go cold turkey (Somewhere Islamic)

D.O.C   

Nin Yaaban, you definitely missing god from your life. You need to read the Quran and make sense of it, no other cure for this difficult situation.

Cabdow   

Change of environment as well as friends who might have bad influence on you can be helpful, if not, join the tableeq.

Chimera   

This is the realm of professional doctors, therapists and organisations like the A.A, not an internet forum. The "go back to the motherland" advice is crazy, as if a person - addicted or not - can change their environment with a click of a finger. All of that takes planning, and lots of money.

Safferz   

Chimera;948678 wrote:
This is the realm of professional doctors, therapists and organisations like the A.A, not an internet forum. The "go back to the motherland" advice is crazy, as if a person - addicted or not - can change their environment with a click of a finger. All of that takes planning, and lots of money.

This is what I was getting at when I said our community doesn't understand addiction (and mental illness more generally)... the logic of dhaqan celis and "pray away X condition" is unhelpful and destructive.

I know quite a few people who are so addicted to weed, that they're constantly high all hours of the day. They're always high, and it's taking a serious toll on their intelligence and it's worrying.

I know a couple of people who quit gradually. So instead of smoking weed 3 times a day, they cut it down to 2 times a day, and then Once a day, and then once every 2 days, and then once a week.

So gradually they cut down on weed until one day they quit completely.

But I don't know if the same can be done for alcohol. But I'm guessing it's the same process.

Blessed   

Safferz;948680 wrote:
"pray away X condition" is unhelpful and destructive.

I know what you mean, Somalis 'jin diagnosis' for everything is unhelpful but spiritual healing (both religious and secular) can work wonders if used by a trained professional - if fact, it's acknowledge in mental health care plans (in the UK at least), religion and spirituality is dear to many and provides great motivation for change.

Another common Somali prescription for mental health that really gets me is: 'guurso' or 'u guuriya'. Grrr!

Aaliyyah   

If I elaborate a lil on your statement "guurso ama u guuriya", Somalis usually hide the mental state of the individual from the prospective spouse. It is quite sad and danbi.