Sign in to follow this  
Nin-Yaaban

How do you deal with alcoholism?

Anyone here on SoL ever had problem with substance abuse (Khat, Drugs, Khamro, etc) and got off of it? How do you deal with that?

Let's say you had an addiction for almost 10yrs, and this addiction got you into all kinds of legal problems (from juvenile, to adult) to the point where u had to lose friends, jobs and the most important thing of all, family. Anyone ever made it over the buur (mountain) and is living a sober life?

Safferz   

The stigma and lack of understanding in our community towards addicts makes it that much more difficult. I don't have personal experience with this but I have seen it from the other end as a family member, and tragically it only ended with my cousin's murder at the hands of the same criminals he befriended. There are resources out there to support people through addiction, rehabilitation centres, support groups like Alcoholics Anonymous, etc, so I encourage you to seek out these services as a first step. And once you are getting help, your family members will return and everything will slowly begin to fall back into place... no one wants to watch a loved one through their life away and destroy themselves, and there is only so much you can do when they refuse to get help and change their ways.

I was a heavy pot smoker and binge drinker for several years in my late teens, but I would not have been considered an addict. If all goes well, I'll be going cold turkey on cigarettes as well, starting tomorrow.

That said, while I don't know of anyone who is addicted to hard drugs (not including recreational use of cocaine/heroin). I have seen a few Somali guys get carried away with weed and have it play central role in their daily activities. They're always fried and irritating to talk to.

Aaliyyah   

Nin Yaaban, change your life style. Surround yourself with people who dont drink and who will help you get over your addiction. Work on your deen as well, by building your iimaan it will gradually be easier to stay away from what Islam clearly prohibits. Lastly, wake up the third part of the night and supplicate to Allah as he is the best of helpers.

" I don't know of anyone who is addicted to hard drugs (not including recreational use of cocaine/heroin)" LOL you are funny.

Why do you people assume it's Nin Yaaban that needs the help?

I really don't know how Nin Yaaban but I think the best way might be to figure out why the person started the habit in the first place. Was it peer pressure, escapism, etc.

There's one unfortunate truth, we Somalis easily mimic bad behavior and we lack moderation.

Safferz   

Che -Guevara;948143 wrote:

Why do you people assume it's Nin Yaaban that needs the help?

Because the question and content of the post is so specific, one can only assume it's (most likely) personal.

Nin-Yaaban if this is about you it appears you have realized alcoholism and drugs is a problem has been a problem in your life and you seek to make a change. Though sometimes the desire for change is not powerful enough to make change happen. But sometimes it is. It is always best to supplement this desire with steps, practical moves to execute this change. To find the most appropriate steps suitable for you, ask your self in what situations do you find yourself feeding this addiction. in what situations do you find yourself not feeding this addition nor longing for it. is your social network an influence? Is there other factors at play? Truly asses this situation so that you can derive practical remedies to mitigate this habit you seek to change

Nin-yabaan, you have struck me as a genuine Somali. I would suggest a visit to the homeland bro. A long one. Sometimes a change of environment can make all the difference. Also alcohol is not as accessible there and the social pressure to restrain from it is much greater. Nevertheless a visit to the dhulka hooyo is great beyond this particular situation.

Also in such situations always keep your family in mind, especially your parents, maybe mother in particular, and younger siblings

Wadani   

Safferz, Aaaliyah and SomaliPhilosopher all give really good advice. Now it's just a matter of synthesizing the most useful parts of all 3 plans and implementing them.

Qamriga aad iyo aad u necbahay, dadka cabana waaka fogaadaa. La ima tuso runtii bahashaas. Marka ma'ogi qof cabi jiray oo ka haray. Soomaalida waa lagu qasaaraa markee bahashaas u dhawaadaan.

Waxaa soo xasuusatay anigoo London joogo toban sano kahor. Aniga iyo abtigey ayaa ahayn, bas ayaa sugeynay, waana habeen, goobtana waa near Tottenham stadium (White Hart Lane). Mid Soomaali aad u cabsan ayaa meesha soo maray. Dadkii kale shisheeyaha ahaa baska nala sugaaye caay ku bilaabay, asagoo Afsoomaali waa weyn ku caaytamaayo. Markuu na arkay su'aalo nagu bilaabay. Shib ayaa ka irnay. Jini miirkiisa waa qabaayee anaga nama caayin, kuwii kale caayda ku waday, asagoo na fiirinaayo. Wuxuu ula jeedaa ima fahmaayaan. Qosol isku celineynay. Bahashana saa'idu ugu ureysay.

Qof cabaayo hadduu jiro oo aad taqaanid ama aad adigaba tahay, koley Quraan isa saar kula talin lahaa. Waliba Afrika aad, xoogahoo fog oo dheeraad ah maqnoo. Qofkaas hasoo caragadisto.

Bahasha cabiteeda waxaa keento badanaa fikirka badan, wehel la'aanta iyo isku buuqida.

N.O.R.F   

Its hard convincing someone they need help. It will take a while and much work. Slowly convince whoever it is that what he is doing is wrong. An incentive to stop like a trip to see other family members in Europe, Midde East or back home to get out of the cycle might make them think differently.

Malika   

^Your right, the first step of any healing process is acceptance by the sufferer.

SP - yaa kuyiri there is no alcohol or pot in Somalia? I have heard pleanty of stories from daqaan ceelis of how easy to access alcohol or pot..unless NY would venture into miyi and stay in miyi for a long while to detox.

Nin Yaban - impossibility and possibility are a mere concept of your mind - don't give up, try hard and in'sha'allah kheyr.. wish you all the best.

Juxa   

First step is to accept you/friend/family member has a problem.

Follow Aaliyah's recommendation and also please seek medical help! there are programmes and they do amazing jobs. ilaah waxan kaga baryayaa ama uga baryayaa qofkan dhibateysan inuu ka madoobeeyo balayada oo wadada toosan tuso

Blessed   

Sadly, I've known too many brothers deal with this issue - fortunately there are many success stories out there, so don't lose hope. Alhamdulilah that this person is in a position where they can make changes but as stated the desire to change has to come from within - and is the hardest step. It will be a hard process, so take it one step out of the time - and seek out help from professionals and loved ones as well.

Well put@ Safferz. Our community can be so nasty and their hostility often pushes people further - lack of self worth and motivation are one of the main issues these young men need to overcome.

NGONGE   

It's not NY who has this addiction poeple. Because if it were him, we already know what the solution is.

NY joined SOL in 2003. NY says above that the addiction of the khamri has lasted for ten years. Therefore, SOL is the reason NY started drinking. Solution: NY to quit SOL. :D

On a serious note, addictions are not easy to ditch. Though for many former addicts, picking up a new sort of (healthy) habit usually helps (stamp collecting or chess playing, etc).