Sign in to follow this  
Alpha Blondy

The National Personification of Somalis?

hi y'all,

i feel very NATIONALISTIC today. i've been researching the National Personifications of countries.

435px-Enl%C3%A8vement_d%27Europe_by_N%C3

Europa - represents fertility and beauty according to a european standards.

118px-Image_Germania_%28painting%29.jpg

Germania - Germania is usually shown as a robust woman with long, flowing, reddish-blonde hair and wearing armour. She often wields the "Reichsschwert" (imperial sword), and possesses a mediaeval-style shield that sometimes bears the image of a black eagle on a gold field. Additionally, she is sometimes shown as carrying or wearing the Imperial Crown of the Holy Roman Empire.

404px-John_Bull_-_World_War_I_recruiting

John Bull - (Britain) - He is usually depicted as a stout, middle-aged, country dwelling, jolly, matter-of-fact man.

445px-Unclesamwantyou.jpg

Uncle Sam - (US) Uncle Sam is the elderly man with white hair and a goatee wearing a white top hat with white stars on a blue band, and red and white striped trousers.

WHAT IS THE PERSONIFICATION OF SOMALIS?

Somali-people-wallpaper.jpg

THE SHABAB?

somali-pirates.jpg

PIRATE BOY ABDI?

Somalia_Famine_Mother_child_A-1.jpg

ASHA GAAJO?

tumblr_me79i4BmLp1r34z06o1_500.jpg

THE GEEL JIRE?

somali-models-names-559.jpg

SOMALI MODELS?

------------

this is NOT a joke thread. i want to be the national personification of our people....i think i'll carry our name with pride and restore some sharaf back to the term 'Somali'.....:P

Wadani   

So what would u wear in the picture and how would your demeonor be? I'd prefer a stern and intimidating look, stern enough to at least scare Ethiopia and Kenya. :D

Carafaat   

Inaar, good thread. But I think our national personification should not be personalised but rather a sympol of struggle, hope, peace, rebuilding and harmnoy.

Something like this:

islam_symbol_sword.jpg

african-renaissance-monument-dakar-seneg

Senegal's national personifaction has a six pack and check the females upper body. inaar, we can beat that.

Oh, it's definitely Geel Jire. I would say he's the national personification of the Somali.

The "Pirate Boy" or "Shabab" or starving woman in the picture is a temporary (and unfortunate) position Somalis are in, and is nothing we should be proud of at all. How can you consciously use negative symbols such as Shabab or Pirate-Boy to symbolize our country?

Taleexi;946490 wrote:
Alpha - Are u serious, with all that cantarabaqash?

yeah i'm serious, inaar. i'm SICK and TIRED of these imagines ruining our collective will. we are a good, beautiful and hardworking people....but these terrible imagines ruin our overall imagine. do a google search on 'somali people'.....beside the cat, everything else is negative, ma garatey? :mad:

D.O.C   

DoctorKenney;946495 wrote:
Oh, it's definitely Geel Jire. I would say he's the national personification of the Somali.

The "Pirate Boy" or "Shabab" or starving woman in the picture is a temporary (and unfortunate) position Somalis are in, and is nothing we should be proud of at all. How can you consciously use
negative symbols
such as Shabab or Pirate-Boy to symbolize our country?

Somalia is hungry

Somalia is alshabaab

Somalia is pirates

The whole world knows these...

Alpha Blondy;946497 wrote:
yeah i'm serious, inaar. i'm SICK and TIRED of these imagines ruining our collective will. we are a good, beautiful and hardworking people....but these terrible imagines ruin our overall imagine. do a google search on 'somali people'.....beside the cat, everything else is negative, ma garatey? :mad:

We must do everything in our power, to gain the respect of the world again. We had this respect in the past and we have to regain it but sometimes I doubt if this can be done within the next 10 years.

I'm impatient and to me, things are improving too slowly in Somalia. We need to speed it up

DoctorKenney;946500 wrote:
We must do everything in our power, to gain the respect of the world again. We had this respect in the past and we
have
to regain it but sometimes I doubt if this can be done within the next 10 years.

I'm impatient and to me, things are improving too slowly in Somalia. We need to speed it up

kulaaha ''We had this respect in the past'', besides possessing a strong (relative to our size and place in the world) and reckless (attacking its own people) military, when did we have 'respect'? the two greatest events in the history of somalis was 1972 - when the somali language was written and 1977 - when we almost beat Ethiopia in that now infamous war.

perceptions are two fold. what you think of yourself and what others think of you....ee sida uula soco.

Taleexi   

Alpha Blondy;946497 wrote:

+1

Safferz   

I liked our monuments for Hawa Taako, Ahmed Gurey, Sayyid Mohamed and Daljirka Dahson (the unknown soldier monument), and I hope they are rebuilt along with additional historical figures.

Safferz;946580 wrote:
I liked our monuments for Hawa Taako, Ahmed Gurey, Sayyid Mohamed and Daljirka Dahson (the unknown soldier monument), and I hope they are rebuilt along with additional historical figures.

There is nothing more I would like to see than our Somali heroes resurrected again. In fact I tried to hop on this project but was led to several dead ends. though this government must decide what image it wishes to form. there are also tricky dynamics to this like the ahmed gurey statue for instance. there is a lot of academic literature which suggeat gurey was not Somali and in fact his somali lineage specifically darooooooooooooood lineage has been pushed by the barre regime.

Safferz   

SomaliPhilosopher;946749 wrote:
There is nothing more I would like to see than our Somali heroes resurrected again. In fact I tried to hop on this project but was led to several dead ends. though this government must decide what image it wishes to form. there are also tricky dynamics to this like the ahmed gurey statue for instance. there is a lot of academic literature which suggeat gurey was not Somali and in fact his somali lineage specifically darooooooooooooood lineage has been pushed by the barre regime.

The clan stuff is dumb, but I do believe he was Somali. Ethiopian historiography (including the royal chronicles) describe him as a Somali with an army of Somali nomads, and I think Somali oral history confirms this. But I do know there are a few scholars who argue he was not (possibly Harla from Harar), but their only evidence is the ambiguity of the one account Futah Al-Habash, written by an Arab who was there at the time and noted that the army was Somali... so their logic is that if Gurey was was Somali, he would have mentioned that too.