Sign in to follow this  
Safferz

NYPD Commissioner: African Americans are being understopped

Safferz   

... and statistically every single young black man in New York City was stopped and frisked in 2011.

"In an interview on
NYPD commissioner Ray Kelly elaborated on a point Mayor Michael Bloomberg made in a speech this week, about the racial breakdown of stop-and-frisks conducted by city police officers.

Bloomberg said NYPD critics are unfairly compare the number of black and Latino men stopped to the number of black and Latino men in the general population, whereas they should be comparing the numbers of stops to the descriptions of suspects.

Kelly, in his interview, said that if you use that methodology, "African-Americans are being understopped."

A year ago, Kelly went even further, telling reporters people in "communities of color" actually "want more" stop-and-frisks."

stopandfriskinfographic-e1357923765873.g

Cara.   

That video is really chilling. In a given year there are more stop and frisks of Black & Latino men than actually live in NYC, just incredible.

Safferz   

Alpha Blondy;945388 wrote:
is NYC representative across the board?

Stop and frisk is a program specific to the NYPD, but racial profiling is certainly policing practice across the US (and Canada).

Chimera;945389 wrote:
We need more of them doing stops and searches at the parks and malls.

Why do you say that? Everyday people are stopped and frisked everywhere, and not just outside on the street.

Chimera   

Just tired of having to play bodyguard for my female relatives and their kids who just want to play in the park or shop in peace without these weed clowns stinking up the place. I'm extremely biased, so don't expect objectivity from me, I have no sympathy for them, be they Somali or non-Somali. Thugs are despicable creatures. These are nice neighbourhoods and areas being ruined by groups that dress like the men in that video.

I think more patrols around those areas would be a great deterrent.

Safferz   

Chimera, did you miss the part about how every single young black male in NYC statistically was stopped and frisked in 2011? What makes you think they (and "they" includes people just like you) are doing anything but minding their own business before becoming subject to police harassment?

Safferz   

Chimera;945392 wrote:
Just tired of having to play bodyguard for my female relatives and their kids who just want to play in the park or shop in peace without these weed clowns stinking up the place. I'm extremely biased, so don't expect objectivity from me, I have no sympathy for them, be they Somali or non-Somali. Thugs are despicable creatures. These are nice neighbourhoods and areas being ruined by groups that dress like the men in that video.

I think more patrols around those areas would be a great deterrent.

Just to make sure -- is this a serious comment? I have a hard time believing it to be your position, when you come across as more socially conscious and thoughtful than this.

Chimera   

I think police should have stopped and searched them several times after that, no objectivity here. Hundreds of times police has passed me by on the street, drove past me on the road, patrolled my uni, sat next to me on the bus, played football with them, and never have they felt the need to search me, because I accord them a certain respect. These young men your referencing 100% sure eyed-balled the police, acted cool in front of mates, or simply did look suspicious. An officer will simply do a quick search, and be done with it, but once you start this "I have my rights" game, then you're in for a ride.

These guys are finding 800 guns a year in NYC, and that is 800+ potential fatalities and injuries prevented. When you consider that the national death figure by way of a gun is 11000, then it puts thing into perspective. I wish British Cops did the same, they would find thousands of weapons.

Chimera   

Dead serious, I'm even thinking of being a PCSO for a year and run after these saqajaans. I would wait in front of their houses each morning and do a search and frisk.

Safferz   

Sigh. Who are "they" and what makes "them" so threatening that civil liberties can be suspended for illegal and humiliating stop and frisks? How does one "look suspicious"? I don't understand how you can justify the treatment that young man in the video received, particularly as a black man yourself.

Chimera   

Please, the vast majority of search and frisks are two minute procedures, with the individual back on his way. Hardly Mandela.