Sign in to follow this  
Baashi

International Conference on Somalia -- 7 May 2013

LONDON (RBC) Waxaa soo idlaatay qeybtii koowaad ee shirkii madaxda adduunka uga hadlayeen arrimaha Soomaaliya kaasoo saaka ka furmay guriga Lancaster House ee magaalada London.

Shirka oo mar la galay xilliga qadada ayaa kadib waxaa bilawday qeybo gaar gaar ah oo guddiyo kala duwan ay uga hadlayaan illaa afar qodob oo dawlada federaalka ay dalbatay in laga taageero kuwaasoo kala ah; amaanka, caddaalada, booliska iyo hay’adaha maaliyada.

Goordhow oo maqribnimadii ah ayaa lagu wadaa in madaxweynaha Soomaaliya Xasan Sheekh Maxamuud iyo raysul wasaaraha Ingiriiska David Cameron ay wada qabtaan shir jaraa’id oo ay ku shaacinayaan waxyaabaha ka soo baxay shirka London ee arrimaha Soomaaliya.

Dhaqaalaha lagu deeqay

Qeybtii hore ee shirka ayaa madaxdii ka hadashay waxay ku dhawaaqeen lacago aad u farabadan oo ay ugu deeqeen dib u dhiska hay’adaha dawladnimada ee Soomaaliya.

- Dawlada UK, waxay ku deeqday 50 milyan oo lacagta Ingiriiska ah (14 milyan waxaa loo qoondeeyey booliska iyo garsoorka).

- Dawlada Denmark waxay ku dhawaaqday $75 milyan oo doolar ( waana lacagta ugu badan ee la yaboohay).

- Dawlada Mareykanka waxay ku dhawaaqeen $15 milyan oo doolar.

- Dawlada Qadar waxay ku dhawaaqday $18 milyan oo doolar.

- Dawlada Turkiga waxay ku dhawaaqday $10 milyan oo doolar.

- Midowga Yurub wuxuu ku dhawaaqay 44 Milyan oo Euro.

Waxaa jira lacago kale oo la shaaciyey kuwaasoo aan dib ka soo sheegi doono, hadduu Alle idmo.

War mutiyeedka shirka London lagu soo gabagabeynayo ayaa mar hore soo baxay waxaase lagu wadaa in si rasmi ah loo shaaciyo oo shir jaraa’id ay wadajir u qaban doonaan madaxweynaha Soomaaliya iyo raysul wasaaraha Ingiriiska lagu shaaciyo.

Dhinaca kale waxaa galabta socda kulamada gaar gaarka ah ee ay ka qeybgalayaan wasiirada dawlada federaalka sidan kan maaliyadda oo ka qeybgalaya qeybta dhaqaalaha, kan gaashaandhhiga oo ka qeybgalaya shirka looga hadlayo ciidamada, wasiiru dawlaha arrimaha gudaha oo ka qeybgalaya kulan gaar ah oo caddaalada iyo booliska looga hadlayo.

Sidoo kale wasiirka arrimaha dibadda Fawsiya Yuusuf Xaaji oo wafdiga ku sugan London ka mid ah ayaa kulamadan gaar gaarka ah ka qeybgaleysa iyadoo uu wehlinayo wasiirka arrimaha dibadda Ingiriiska.

This is great step forward, to allocate funds for specific programs and initiatives . A radical departure of how things were few years back. The black hole is no more...

Illyria   

Promising, but let us see how the promisary notes will be honoured come December 2013.

And my earlier concerns still stand.

^the IC is wise to not adopt a one side political plan for a country that is in a recovery mode. The four points they supported is needed.

Illyria   

My initial take-away points.

It looks like the federal gov't made so many promises most of which had been welcomed except where the IC is making recommendations. Will the FG be able to deliver all those promises? Does it have the capacity and the human capital to deliver? And with the goodwill gone, and huge chunks of the public losing confidence in its ability, how will be able to turn the tide?

Of the 6 pillars, the IC will focuses on capacity building in three areas: security, justice and public financial management.

Inclusive politics, economic foundations, revenue and service will have to wait for now.

And where will the capacity come from? Who will device and manage these organisations?

The Federal Government appealed to its international partners to provide funding for Somali national plans. The Federal Government expressed its appreciation for continued bilateral support and asked partners to channel funding through mechanisms agreed with the Federal Government, such as the Special Financing Facility and the Rule of Law Fund, wherever possible.

Where is a will, there is a way, but is the will there?

We welcomed the Federal Government’s plans to resolve outstanding constitutional issues, including the sharing of power, resources and revenues between the Federal Government and the regions.

But does the FG have the vision to establish working relationship with the regions?

We encouraged the regions to work closely with the Federal Government to form a cohesive national polity consistent with the provisional constitution.

Let us wait till December to see the results.

Urged continued results-orientated support.

Baashi   

Illyria,

I didn’t read the communique in its entirety – just did quick skim through. I didn’t see anything that stands out. It seems President Hassan has ‘his stuff together’ as they say here the states :). He knows what he wants and where he wants to take this sick family, the support he needs to make it happen and who can help him to get there.

The man has a plan in hand – the so-called Six Pillar Policy [for the South -- 11 regions, 72 districts]. It looks like the IC has endorsed his ground game with few exceptions (consultation with regions, etc).

I am backing President Hassan on the social side of the Six Pillar Policy. We should all show some appreciation of the challenges he’s trying to address. I mean who could oppose getting funding for refugees (IDPs or the ones in refugee camps) or building capacity in sanitation or education!! We’re for the country and for Somalia’s reconstruction Marshall Plan.

On politics, that’s different animal all together.

Of course his plan, and the ground game he sports, is full of holes. He needs to sell it to the concerned constituents that reside in these localities (either through the reps in the parliament – in the form of a budget OR take it directly to the clans that populate these area via their traditional elders).

The litmus test, the red line if you will for Mr. Hassan is Kismayo and the question of harmonizing SFG with the emerging federal states. That’s where the rubber meets the road. On that score, we have to wait the outcome of Kismayo’s gathering and the verdict of the parliament on that outcome.

So far so good! Good speech by the way. I didn’t expect him to air the family squabbles in public and to my relief he didn’t. That’s good.

Illyria   

Baashi,

I am glad you are keeping the hope alive. I might not be quite on the same boat as you yet, but I am wishing for the best, altho' havng watched repeats of this movie so many times, I was awaiting a more substantive, less dramatic directorial debut. may be it is here and I am not recognising it, but for now, will park the motor in neutral till the end of the year. if I am wrong, it is good for the country and the people, but if not, then sh1te of a meal is being served one more time to the ever so suffering public.

Add-on:

The president comes across more of an activist than a leader among equals.

It is fallacies and self-aggrandisations like this I dislike in Somali politicians. The cornerstone was laid in place in Arta in 2000, following by Eldoret in 2004, and Jibouti in 2009. It is the cummulative legacy of those years and men who came before him that gave rise to the current federal government.

"In just one year the cornerstones of a new Somalia have been successfully and peacefully laid."

Hmmm,

"Progress has defied the skeptics. Somalia has rejoined the world community."

What pricked my ear however was Cameron's use of these words "The government is moving ahead under the guidance of the UN, AU, and IGAD." A hint in there.

Mintid Farayar;945698 wrote:
The organizers of this Conference will attempt to sideline the Jubba issue. Not only the Jubba issue, but all internal Somali political issues.

The purpose of the Conference is not to be a 'Donor Conference' as some have claimed here, but rather for the key stake-holders to streamline their various initiatives and strategies in their 'Somalia' stabilization programs. Currently, you have disjointed initiatives coming from various corners of the IC, with much duplication and actions and funding at cross-purposes.

Three areas will be tackled in this Conference:

1)the Security Sector

2)improving Somalia's public finance management(PFM),

and finally

3)the need to move to a
unified
, long-term development plan for Somalia.

The sole purpose of the Conference is to coordinate the IC's various initiatives in these 3 areas.

The actual 'Donor/Funding' Conference will be in Brussels in the Fall/Autumn of 2013.

From 4 days ago....

Anything different happen??

;)

Illyria   

Oodweyne,

Granted a great deal of goodwill was extended to the Somali gov't by the IC. will it, or how soon will it materialse is a question to ask.

The issue of federal states is actually asigned to an independent commission, upper house comprising of heads of member states, and the parliament, as stated in the constitution. So in that regard, there is very little change any one can bring to bear unless the charter is tossed to the side, an insurmountable task at this juncture.

So with regards to the Jubaland train, no discernable, substantive impact. The train will go on.

Illyria   

Oodweyne,

Actually no 'cos the organisers have been saying loud and clear that they want the federal government to lead the conference, and for the FG to abide by the conditions put in place by the constitution. It is the FG which was reluctant to do its duty.

They do have the right to form a state, but they never said they wanted no guidance from the center - that is far from the facts as they are known.

I do not know whether it is a slip on your part, misunderstanding of the issue, or an intentional miscategorisation of the intents of the organisers. I will find Gaandhi and Axmed Madoobe, and Cali Madoobe's interviews.

political designers of Jubbaland were basically saying we have a right to form our own federal state without so much guidance from the centre.

Illyria   

Oodweyne,

Actaully I am not. I am briefed on the issue, and am privy to the contentious issue at the heart of the rift between the two camps. The word "whose terms" speaks to the issue and gave rise to the conflict. But we seem to be in circle not developing the debate so let us leave there for now.

I think you reading things in a back to front manner.

Apparently I am reading it differently than you are which is only natural. let us agree to disagree and see what happens in the months to come.

And by same token, there is nothing in here in which the designers abs organisers of Jubbaland agenda will find it as a endorsement of their agenda by any measure of reading that could be done in this communique."

Was Jubba mentioned specifically? That's what I was alluding to in the post. Internal Somali politicking was to be avoided at all costs - while we Somalis, in our myopic self-obsession, see things only in how it plays out in our internal score-settling. The purpose of the Conference was designed to streamline the various, disjointed initiatives floating around re:the Somali issue.

It seems both the West and some of the Arab petro-monarchies are vested in increasing the 'diplomatic' clout of Hassan Sheikh and his government. I pointed this out with the 'diplomatic recognition' of his government by 'Uncle Sam' earlier this year. That's when the die was cast and a conscious decision was made by the U.S. to present Hassan Sheikh as 'the political solution' to the Somali problem. Everyone else in the international community just fell behind in lock-step after that. Hence, this 'unprecedented' diplomatic support he's receiving - greater than any other Somali leader since the implosion of Somalia in 1991.

Quite pressure is being applied on both the Kenyans and Ethiopians to get behind the blueprint of the Federal Gov't when it comes to internal Somali 'gerrymandering'(political formation of regions/states). It's a delicate pressure on the part of the West(U.S.&U.K.) b/c on the one hand they need the Kenyan and Ethiopian military contingents to contain and then eventually flush-out the Al Shabaab menace(there's no further appetite in the West for foreign incursions in Muslim-lands with Western boys coming home in body-bags) yet on the other hand, the West is committed to increasing the legitimacy of Hassan Sheikh and his clique as a functioning, governing administration while minimizing the long-practiced strategy of neighboring countries to play their different Somali clients against each other.

Overall, it's not a time(current time) to pick a fight with Hassan Sheikh and company. The ball is in his court and the supporters of the current Jubba initiative have no choice but to keep reacting to his moves rather than moving forward.

How long the Western goodwill for Hassan Sheikh and co. lasts is another question entirely......