Sign in to follow this  
Baashi

International Conference on Somalia -- 7 May 2013

Baashi   

Illyria,

Will check it out.

We know Hassan is attending. Does anyone have an idea the composition of his delegation? Are there other significant Somali leaders showing up at this venue?

Saalax   

Sool and Sanaag are settled largely by the SNM block. They are not going anywhere from Somaliland.

By other terms, the Council decided that UNSOM would be based in Mogadishu and deployed across Somalia, as requested by the Federal Government and as conditions permitted, in line with arrangements set out by the Secretary-General in his 19 April letter to the Council (document S/2013/239). Further, it recalled provisions in resolution 2093 (2013) in relation to UNSOM as a structurally integrated United Nations mission, welcoming the proposed leadership and coordination structures, with a clear delineation of duties.

After action, Elmi Ahmed Duale ( Somalia) expressed his full appreciation for the adoption of an “important” resolution, which would support and facilitate his Government in achieving its development, governance and security goals. The resolution also ensured that there was only “one door” to knock on, as opposed to fragmented approaches, in coordinating assistance. Indeed, today’s action was a “first step” towards more effective Council support.

Against that backdrop, he called on all partners to abide by the principles of Somali sovereignty and ownership when extending support for the development of a Somali future, adding that regional authorities should also be consulted. Welcoming the emphasis on coordination and urgent action, he underlined the need for human and financial resources to help Somalia implement its mandate, drawing attention to the 7 May donor conference in London. “This year will be an opening of opportunities for Somalia’s development,” he declared

Illyria   

Baashi,

I do not think so with the exception of the President and his camp tho' I am not an insider, but with Silanyo and Farole abstaining from attending, it looks like an stillborn mortuus on arrival. But then again having observed the pattern of contemporary Somali leaders' actions and posture, last minute changes could emerge, and they can all show up at the last hour clamouring for attention and shortly after that all claiming victory in their morphed respective ways. Tues is a few days away so let us watch the space.

What is your reading of the events?

Baashi;945543 wrote:
Illyria, Are there other significant Somali leaders showing up at this venue?

The organizers of this Conference will attempt to sideline the Jubba issue. Not only the Jubba issue, but all internal Somali political issues.

The purpose of the Conference is not to be a 'Donor Conference' as some have claimed here, but rather for the key stake-holders to streamline their various initiatives and strategies in their 'Somalia' stabilization programs. Currently, you have disjointed initiatives coming from various corners of the IC, with much duplication and actions and funding at cross-purposes.

Three areas will be tackled in this Conference:

1)the Security Sector

2)improving Somalia's public finance management(PFM),

and finally

3)the need to move to a unified, long-term development plan for Somalia.

The sole purpose of the Conference is to coordinate the IC's various initiatives in these 3 areas.

The actual 'Donor/Funding' Conference will be in Brussels in the Fall/Autumn of 2013.

Baashi   

Mintid,

The road ahead will be pumpy for Somalia but I see the light at the end of tunnel. I am all for the "one door" policy. I suspect IC are not sincere about it though. We'll see.

IIIyria,

My reading is the conference will be successfull and interest groups will pledge a load of green stash. So in the international arena I inclined to back president Hassan in his search for reconstruction fund.

My worries are that he will interpret success in convincing interested parties to lend a helping hand to crippled Somalia as a mandate to dictate policies as he alone and his close advisors see fit.

On the home front, I am disappointed in him. That's understatement. His handling of Kismayo issue is a concern. Neglecting institution-building effort and putting reconcilliation between communities in the back burner is also a concern.

Let's see how it pans out.

Carafaat   

Thanks for the correction. They are right not to discuss internal issues at an international conference. Somalia has moved past that stage.

Carafaat,

Notice I wrote "will attempt to sideline the Jubba issue and other internal Somali issues".

We don't know whether this will be successful or not, given both Somalis and IGAD will be participants at the Conference(both for whom the Jubba issue is a priority).

However, if London I is any example(from last year, I think), the official post-Conference communique will already be inked/written before the Conference even starts...

Illyria   

Baashi,

What measurements are we using to determine whether the conference will be success or failure?

Granted we cannot foresee the future, but I think promises will be made followed by contingent clauses be met by the Somali leadership, which could not be met.

I am however still convinced nothing major changed from the old conundrum of:

Somali leaderships: As always asking the IC to help change the situation. "We cannot do it alone even though we will not listen to your edict or dicta" they will repeat.

IC: Show us you can be trusted, are capable of implementing plans, and can turn them into measurable tangibles.

Notice one is contingent upon the other, and one cannot be enforced sans the other.

And unless Somalia develops independent institutions that could be relied upon not only by Somalis, but by IC partners no country will be forthcoming to waste its resources in Somalia. Nariobi will remain the capital. Xamar will be dim. And the country will be built from the periphery to the center, and not the other way round, as Pres. Hassan and Co would want. Hargeysa, Garowe, and Kismayo are hard examples the IC cannot overlook, even if they wanted to.

And let us not forget the economic woes and financial crises facing Europe and America.

So, all in all, a slight improvement, but no major change. And Somalis as always will be beating up the drums of the change that never was.

As you said, let us how it pans out.

Baashi;945723 wrote:

IIIyria,

My reading is the conference will be successfull and interest groups will pledge a load of green stash. So in the international arena I inclined to back president Hassan in his search for reconstruction fund.

Illyria   

Opening Address by the President of the Federal Republic of Somalia

SOMALIA CONFERENCE IN LONDON, 7th MAY 2013

OPENING ADDRESS BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF SOMALIA

H.E. HASSAN SHEIKH MOHAMUD

A few weeks ago, I planted a young sapling in the garden at Villa Somalia to raise the issue of deforestation, and it got me thinking – what does a young sapling need for it to grow into a strong, healthy tree?

It needs to be supported with a strong stake; it needs to be watered and fed; and it needs to be protected from animals that try to eat its soft bark and kill it.

And so it is with this young sapling we have all planted, called Somalia. We need support; we need assistance and investment; and we need protection from those who try to knock us over.

The first period of growth is always the most hazardous; where the most support and protection is needed. But as the bow thickens and strengthens, the tree needs less and less support, until finally it stands proud and tall and strong all on its own.

My vision is for a Federal Somalia at peace with itself and its neighbours and which poses no threat to the world; a Somalia with a resurgent economy, thriving small and medium sized business ventures and sustainable employment so that families are properly provided for; a Somalia with values of kindness, respect and human rights, all underpinned by an education system that harnesses our intellectual spirit.

So we are here today to begin a four-year process that must begin with considerable investment and support but which I hope will finish with very little.

Heads of State and Governments, Excellencies, Ambassadors, Special Representatives, Honored Guests – the Prime Minister and I welcome you to the second Somalia Conference in London.

Mr. Prime Minister, I wholeheartedly thank you and your government for your personal engagement in shaping our future and for your support in hosting this Conference. I particularly congratulate you for re-opening your Embassy on our soil in Mogadishu after more than two decades absence.

People may ask why Somalia matters at this time but there is a huge amount at stake right now: the future of our country, the security of the region and the wider world, and the removal of the piracy stranglehold on the Gulf of Aden.

I know you all understand this and I fully appreciate the political capital being invested to support Somalia.

Since the last meeting held here in London more than one year ago, more has been achieved than anyone would ever have imagined. In just one year the cornerstones of a new Somalia have been successfully and peacefully laid.

The political transition has ended and I stand here as the elected President of a sovereign nation, with an elected Speaker leading a new Parliament representative of all the regions and all communities and with a legitimate and effective government delivering our Six Pillar Policy Framework – the foundation of a new beginning. Progress has defied the skeptics. Somalia has rejoined the world community.

Under my leadership, we offer the world a legitimate partner you can trust, hard at work to deliver an integrated national security plan; economic reform and new financial management systems; rule of law and judicial reform; and an environment conducive to commercial growth. We are achieving real progress week by week, month by month. But challenges do remain.

Despite being militarily defeated, Al Shabaab have melted into society and begun a new phase of insurgency and a campaign of terror – an experience I know that Great Britain comprehends as well as any other. Our Constitution is only partially complete. Piracy must come to an end. Millions of Somalis still live in desperate conditions as refugees in neighbouring countries or as internally displaced persons in their own country. And we lack developed government institutions, schools, hospitals, roads, sanitation and other basic services.

As you will hear over the coming hours, however, we come to London to share with you our detailed plans to address these challenges.

We are rebuilding our armed forces. We are restructuring and developing our police force. We are reforming our justice sector. And we are revolutionizing our public finance management systems. We are driving Somalia from emergency to recovery; and from recovery to development and reconstruction.

Ultimately, however, it will be a Somali owned solution that will fix Somalia, but no country has ever recovered from such social and economic collapse without the help of the world. And so in partnership with our endeavors, we respectfully ask for your total and unflinching commitment, partnership and support. We hope that you will agree how you can support the implementation of our plans and put an end to our dependence on the international community.

The Federal Government of Somalia has now laid down the foundations for a new public finance management mechanism, which we believe will give enable our donors to agree funding arrangements with the confidence that funds will reach their intended recipient.

The progress that has been made in Somalia over the past three years would not have been possible without the courageous support of IGAD, the African Union and our brothers and sisters in AMISOM and the ultimate sacrifice paid by many brave African soldiers. We owe to it their memory to ensure that we do not take one single step backwards.

The progress that has been made in Somalia over the past three years would also not have been possible without the committed support of the United Nations, the United States, the United Kingdom and the European Union. We owe it to the publics who contribute to these governments and institutions to see this process through to a successful conclusion.

We are also indebted to the kindness and generosity of countries like Turkey, Norway, the Arab League member states and other countries. Your assistance over the past few years has spread hope and belief among our people.

We welcome UNSOM, the new United Nations Mission in Somalia, and we are grateful for the consultation offered in agreeing both the mandate and the appointment of the SRSG. We congratulate His Excellency Mr. Nicholas Kay on his appointment as SRSG. We are looking forward receiving him and the new UN mission in Mogadishu. I wish to thank Ambassador Mahiga, the outgoing SRSG, for his relentless and determined efforts in leading the design of the roadmap and seeing the transition through. Our best wishes and tributes go to him. The people of Somalia are eternally grateful.

Winning the war in Somalia has been proved. Winning the peace in Somalia will take patience and great skill. We are at a critical junction. The time is now.

We have little time today and lots to achieve. All of us, especially those in the background who have worked so hard to make this conference happen, will want to depart with a real sense of progress.

I thank you all for coming, and for your dedicated support. Together we can make Somalia strong again. A tree standing tall in the African bush with deep roots binding it securely to its region and offering shade and protection to its people as they rebuild their lives.

Thank you.

uchi   

Press release from the presidents office has 4 pictures of which one is our Galmudug leader. I guess the office of the Somali president wanted to make a point here.

Illyria   

Press release Somalia Conference 2013: Communiqué

The International Somalia Conference final communiqué.

The Somalia Conference took place at Lancaster House on 7 May 2013, co-hosted by the UK and Somalia, and attended by fifty-four friends and partners of Somalia.

We met at a pivotal moment for Somalia. Last year Somalia’s eight-year transition ended and Somalia chose a new, more legitimate Parliament, President and Government. Security is improving, as Somali and AMISOM forces, and their Ethiopian allies, recover towns and routes from Al Shabaab. The number of pirate attacks committed off the coast of Somalia has drastically reduced. The famine has receded. The diaspora have begun to return. The economy is starting to revive.

But many challenges remain. Al Shabaab is still a threat to peace and security. The constitution is not complete. Piracy and terrorism remain threats. Millions still live in Internally Displaced Persons and refugee camps. The country lacks developed government structures, schools, hospitals, sanitation and other basic services.

The Federal Government of Somalia has set out its plans to address these challenges in its Six Pillar Policy. At the Conference, the international community came together to agree practical measures to support the Federal Government’s plans in three key areas – security, justice and public financial management. The Federal Government presented its vision for the implementation of federalism, the adoption of a permanent constitution and holding of elections. We also agreed to work together to tackle sexual violence in Somalia.

We agreed that partnership between Somalia and the international community would form the basis of our future cooperation: the international community is committed to provide coordinated and sustained support for implementation of the Federal Government’s plans.

Political

We agreed that political progress remains the key to ensuring long-term stability for Somalia. We welcomed the Federal Government’s plans to resolve outstanding constitutional issues, including the sharing of power, resources and revenues between the Federal Government and the regions. We further welcomed the Government’s commitment to hold democratic elections in 2016. We reiterated our support for building capacity in democratic institutions throughout Somalia, beginning with support for local elections in Puntland next month.

We welcomed the dialogue on the future structure of Somalia that has begun between the Federal Government and the regions. We welcomed progress on forming regional administrations and looked forward to the completion of that process. We encouraged the regions to work closely with the Federal Government to form a cohesive national polity consistent with the provisional constitution.

We welcomed the IGAD Extraordinary Summit, held in Addis Ababa on 3 May under the chairmanship of Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn, which agreed a framework for dialogue on regional issues. We looked forward to further progress ahead of a meeting of IGAD in the margins of the African Union Summit in May.

We welcomed the dialogue between the Federal Government and Somaliland at Ankara in April 2013 to clarify their future relationship, building on the meeting at Chevening in June 2012, and welcomed the Ankara communiqué. We expressed our appreciation for the facilitating role played by Turkey.

We welcomed the protection of fundamental rights in the constitution, and the Federal Government’s commitment to uphold human rights, including by establishing an independent National Human Rights Commission. We further welcomed the Federal Government’s commitment to protect women and children, and take steps to end the involvement of children in armed conflict. We commended the recent visit of the UN Special Representative on Sexual Violence in Conflict to Somalia, and the plan for a Somali and international team of experts to make recommendations on how sexual violence could be addressed. We agreed on the important role a free and independent media should play in Somalia, and welcomed the Federal Government’s commitment to investigate and prosecute those responsible for the killing of journalists, and to promote press freedom.

Security

We shared the Federal Government’s view that security is the essential prerequisite for further progress in all other spheres. We commended the bravery and commitment of Somali and AMISOM forces, and those fighting alongside them. We expressed appreciation to countries contributing troops and police. We applauded the forces’ successes in freeing towns and routes from Al Shabaab. We reiterated the need for adequate and sustained funding for AMISOM, welcomed partners’ support to date, and called upon new donors to contribute.

We welcomed the Federal Government’s determination to take responsibility for providing Somalia’s security. We welcomed the Government’s plans for national security architecture and for developing its armed forces, including the integration of militias, and police. We welcomed the commitment to ensure that these security structures are accountable, inclusive, proportionate and sustainable; and respect a civilian chain of command, the rule of law, and human rights. We recognised the need for support to help the Government manage disengaged fighters.

We agreed to support implementation of the Federal Government’s security plans including through existing structures. We also agreed to provide assistance which should be coordinated by the Federal Government.

We welcomed the extension of AMISOM’s mandate for a further year in UN Security Council Resolution 2093. We noted the partial suspension of the arms embargo as recognition of political progress, and urged the Federal Government to fulfil its obligations to provide safeguards to protect Somalia’s citizens and neighbours.

We commended the Somalis and international partners for progress made in combating piracy over the last year including the efforts of Puntland and other regional or local governments and welcomed the Federal Government’s Maritime Resource and Security Strategy. We reiterated our determination to work with Somalia to eradicate piracy and other maritime crimes, and expressed our support for the Federal Government’s ongoing efforts to establish internationally recognised Somali waters, which will help it protect its abundant maritime resources and revitalise economic activities, as well as end toxic dumping and illegal fishing. We welcomed international support to develop Somali maritime security capacities and looked forward to the UAE conference in Dubai on 11-12 September. We welcomed partners’ continued efforts to bring to justice to those behind piracy and positive, ongoing initiatives in Somalia and the region. We recognized the need for these efforts to be complemented by work on land to generate alternative livelihoods and support communities affected by piracy.

Justice and Policing

We welcomed the Federal Government’s vision for equal access for all to a robust, impartial and effective justice system. We commended its justice action plan setting out immediate priorities for assistance, developed at the National Dialogue on Justice in Mogadishu, and applauded this inclusive dialogue with stakeholders.

We welcomed the Government’s four-year action plan to create an accountable, effective and responsive police service for Somalis. We agreed to align our assistance for both justice and police behind Federal Government plans. We looked forward to the establishment of a Rule of Law Fund, under the leadership of the Federal Government, and invited UNDP and the Federal Government to present the agreed governance and technical arrangements for the fund at the Brussels Conference in September.

We committed to support the Government’s efforts to combat terrorism. An effective and secure criminal justice system, including the establishment and maintenance of prisons administered with respect for human dignity, will be central to Somalia’s ability to tackle terrorism in a human rights-compliant manner and reduce the threat from Al Shabaab in the long-term.

Illyria   

Public Financial Management

The Federal Government set out its determination to tackle corruption, and fund public services. We welcomed the Government’s four-year plan to establish transparent and effective public financial management systems. We encouraged the Federal Government to establish more robust controls through the Ministry of Finance’s operations including public reporting of budgets, expenditure and audits. We committed to coordinate assistance using the structure set out by the Government.

We acknowledged the Government’s financing gap and urgent need for short-term support to pay for salaries and operations while public financial management reforms are underway and until sufficient domestic revenues can be collected. In this context we welcomed the Federal Government’s creation of a Special Financing Facility as an early opportunity for the Federal Government to demonstrate its commitment to financial accountability and transparency.

In line with the outcomes of the G8 Foreign Ministers’ meeting, we welcomed the re-engagement of the International Financial Institutions (the World Bank, the African Development Bank, and the International Monetary Fund), including IMF recognition of the Federal Government and progress made at the Spring Meetings.

We recognised the importance of investment and economic growth to increase domestic revenue. We encouraged investment into Somalia, recognising the important role the diaspora could play.

Rationalisation of Funding

The Federal Government appealed to its international partners to provide funding for Somali national plans. The Federal Government expressed its appreciation for continued bilateral support and asked partners to channel funding through mechanisms agreed with the Federal Government, such as the Special Financing Facility and the Rule of Law Fund, wherever possible. We looked forward to development of a longer term sustainable financing architecture for Somalia including a World Bank Multi-Donor Trust Fund which will be important on the path to normalisation of Somalia’s financial relationship with the International Financial Institutions.

Stabilisation

We welcomed the Federal Government’s efforts to develop major initiatives on stabilization, including a comprehensive strategy on disengaged fighters, alternative dispute resolution and at-risk youth. The Federal Government appealed for immediate support for stabilisation projects, to enable local administrations to provide services for their people.

Refugees and Internally Displaced Persons

We recognised the importance of scaling up efforts to create the conditions for the voluntary return and reintegration of Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) and refugees, in accordance with international law. We praised neighbouring countries for providing protection and assistance for refugees, and agreed to continue supporting them in shouldering this burden. We recognised that the return of refugees and IDPs should take place within a context of increased security conditions and livelihoods opportunities. We endorsed the tripartite dialogue initiated by the Somali and Kenyan governments alongside UNHCR to develop modalities and a framework for safe, orderly, sustainable return and resettlement of Somali refugees on a voluntary basis, and looked forward to the forthcoming conference in Nairobi.

Illyria   

Role of Multilateral Organisations and International Support

We recognised the role of the United Nations and the African Union in Somalia and welcomed their commitment to a strengthened strategic partnership. We underlined the importance of close coordination by both organisations with the Federal Government, other international and regional organisations, and Member States. We welcomed the creation of a new UN Assistance Mission (UNSOM) in Somalia and urged the UN to deploy the mission by the target date of 3 June. We recognised the important role of Somalia’s neighbours in promoting long-term stability in the region, and encouraged IGAD to continue to work to promote dialogue and mutual understanding. We underlined the importance of EU action through its commitments in the fields of security, development and humanitarian aid. We also recognised the role of the Arab League and the Organization of Islamic Conference.

We recognised the valuable support provided by bilateral partners, and encouraged them to continue their efforts in coordination with others.

We acknowledged that the Somalia Conference was one of a series of events in 2013 aimed at providing international support to Somalia. We looked forward to the planned Special Conference on Somalia on the socio-economic development agenda in the margins of the fifth Tokyo International Conference on African Development (TICAD V) in late May. Taking note of the Federal Government’s commitment to implement the New Deal engagement in fragile states in the form of a Compact, we welcomed Somalia’s efforts to develop an overarching reconstruction plan encompassing Somali priorities on inclusive politics, security, justice, economic foundations, revenue and services. We looked forward to the EU/Somalia Conference in Brussels in September.

Conclusion

The Conference agreed that Somalia had made significant progress. We congratulated all who had made that possible, notably the Somali people, Federal Government, Members of Parliament, civil society and diaspora. We commended the sustained commitment of Somalia’s international partners, and urged continued results-orientated support. We recognised the need to consolidate progress quickly and reiterated our determination to support Somalia over the long-term.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/somalia-conference-2013-communique