Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

Somalia: President Hassan reaches agreement Puntland President-Press Conference

From Horse's mouth.

Somalia: President Hassan reaches agreement Puntland President

29 Apr 29, 2013 - 10:01:57 AM

GAROWE, Somalia Apr 29 2013 (Garowe Online) – Puntland President Abdirahman Mohamed Farole and Somali Federal Government President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud held a press conference on an agreement reached during President Hassan’s visit to Puntland, Garowe Online reports.

During President Hassan’s two day stay in Garowe – administrative capital of Puntland State – he met with President Farole to discuss many issues including federalism, security, economy and cooperation.

Both leaders held a joint press conference outside the main entrance of the new Presidential Palace in Garowe where both leaders briefly touched on the issues agreed on in their meeting.

President Farole stated that the two agreed on: dialogue for reconciliation throughout Somalia; improving security through building Somali National Forces whose responsibility will be tasked to technical committee; abiding by the previous agreement made by Prime Minister Abdi Farah Shirdon and President Farole.

During the press conference President Farole stated that the two leaders had agreed to some issues but reach a deadlock on some issues.

“I’m very pleased to welcome Somalia’s President Hassan to Puntland who will be departing today. We had fruitful discussions and reached an agreement on some issues and some issues need further discussions,” said President Farole.

Government sources told GO that one issue that leaders could not reach an agreement on was Puntland’s attendance of the London conference next month. Puntland attended the London conference last year but sources say the government has not reached a decision to attend this year’s conference as of yet.

President Hassan also touched on some of the issues that were discussed during his meeting with President Farole. One issue that was raised in discussions was the altering of the Provisional Federal Constitution (PFC). President Hassan discussed the issue that was raised during his statement on Monday.

“The Puntland government raised concerns about the altering of the [Provisional Federal] Constitution, we were not aware of this issue,” said President Hassan.

President Hassan also discussed emerging states which he described as a constitutional right however was concerned about implementation. Local sources tell GO that President Farole and President Hassan didn’t see eye to eye on supporting emerging states with special regards to Jubaland.

President Hassan promised to review and finalize the PFC as agreed on by Roadmap signatories last year. President Hassan thanked the Puntland government and people for their warm welcome and stated that the SFG’s presence would be felt in Puntland.

“Politics in Somalia needs cooperation and consultation and we will reach our goals only through this manner,” President Hassan said in his final statement on Monday.

President Farole and a delegation of Ministers, MPs, authorities and civil society accompanied President Hassan and his delegation to the airport where he flew back to Mogadishu.

GAROWE ONLINE

It was very cordial. I liked both press conferences .

They emphasized what they agreed on rather than what they disagreed. This is a change in Somali politics

Chimera   

Good stuff, now that we got that out of the way, let's focus on reconstruction, education and creating a respectable Somali Business Brand. Its imperative that we approach world powers and multi-national companies as one block.

Chimera   

LOL, war shaqo oo ruun ah raadso, qoraalkeygii gacantaada ka qaad. Guriga joogka iyo internetkan inaad cabaar ka nasatid wey ku fiicantahay sxb, orod shaqey!

BTW, Somalia ha noolaato, (haye xanaaq..)

Chimera   

Apophis;944523 wrote:
You're shooting
blanks
sxb. You couldn't offend me if your life depended on it.

The kind that killed Bruce Lee, iska jir.

BTW, Apophis, no offense, but you remind me of squidward

character-thumb-squidward.jpg

Cheer up sxb.

Tallaabo   

I like is xagxagashada SOL ka dhacda;)

I think the two leaders spoke well about what they agreed on and what the problem areas are. I hope this professional way of negotiating and sorting things out continues into the future for everyone's sake.