Sign in to follow this  
Alpha Blondy

Ganad Public Library, Hargeisa, Somaliland

Tallaabo   

Abbaas;962227 wrote:
Aplha, i admire the people like you who want to make a change, so i'm ready to help anytime but don't expect much from Paypal LOL.

Imagine me want to help but can't because of time inaar :mad:

--->> Chase your dreams Alpha and never give up.

Don't fall into Alpha trap Mr Abbaas, he is a Nigerian;)

^ there's a serious qalooc in your thinking, ma istidhi? :mad:

sick and tired of your negative comments and the way you troll this thread. why have you made it your life's mission to destroy my hopes and dreams for my community? why must you continually mock and insult Al? :mad:

Abbaas;962227 wrote:
Aplha, i admire the people like you who want to make a change, so i'm ready to help anytime but don't expect much from Paypal LOL.

Imagine me want to help but can't because of time inaar :mad:

--->> Chase your dreams Alpha and never give up.

thanks for your positive comments and words of encouragement. inshallah it'll be kheyr, ma garatay? :)

every little helps, inaar. we're all busy balse don't blame your apathy on being 'busy'. you can do better than using an pathetic excuse like that, ma garatay?. i was hoping you'd help me to set up a website for the library since this is your field of expertise. i can't say i'm disappointed with you because i don't know you, ma garatay? :mad:

i don't want money from you or anyone else. i've EXPLICITLY stated i'm not asking for money. in fact, forget i ever asked for your help. the library mashruuc is failing and i might as well quit, you know. a loser like Al just doesn't have what it takes to make this a reality. :mad:

Intro..............

The MAE Public Library, Community Cultural and Information Resource Centre is a holistic solution to Hargeisa’s Library, Educational and Cultural needs. The Centre will provide a positive experience for local communities delivering a popular and heavily used service provision for everyone, allowing unbiased and unparalleled access to knowledge. This service aims to benefit everyone, and will stand for intellectual freedom, democratic engagement, community cohesion, social justice and equality of opportunity. This service aims to give identity to its community and will provide opportunities to everyone. Their role is to enrich lives and to engage society.

The MAE Public Library, Community Cultural and Information Resource Centre aims to provide:

- A positive future for children and young people

- Fulfilling opportunities for older people

- Promotion of local identity and community pride

- Learning, skills, training and workforce development for young people

- Equality, community cohesion and social justice

- Economic regeneration

- Community engagement and Participation

The MAE Public Library, Community Cultural and Information Resource Centre service provision will offer a programme of activities and events that reflect the important role of the centre in the local community. These activities will include:

- Activities for parents and toddlers, children and young people

- Events to encourage the experience of literature, particularly Somaliland’s rich literary tradition, through author talks, reading groups, storytelling and promoting the joy of books through imaginative selection and presentation of stock

- Programmes to support family and community learning

- Promotion and support of the study of local history

- Programmes to develop information literacy

- ICT proficiency

- Skills for life

Vision Statement

MAE Community Library and Information Centre services vision is to disseminate knowledge to local communities and to make their voices, wishes and concerns are effectively heard. Our vision is based on the following:

- People: Be a great place to work where people are inspired to be the best they can be.

- Portfolio: Bring to Hargeisa a portfolio of literature and knowledge that will satisfy people's desires and needs.

- Partners: Nurture a winning network of local people, local community groups and educational service providers.

- Planet: Be a responsible organisation that makes a difference by helping build and support sustainable communities.

- Productivity: Be a highly effective, lean and forward thinking organization.

Mission Statement

The MAE Public Library, Community Cultural and Information Resource Centre will work with grass roots communities and local people through mobilization and participation. Our service will address primarily the needs of the disadvantaged and vulnerable people: young people, children and women by providing them with knowledge and initiatives as well essential tools to improve their livelihoods.

Objectives

In striving to achieve its mission Hargeisa library has set itself the following objectives:

- Promote and empower local communities’ pursuit of sustainable livelihoods.

- Empower young people, particularly females, through provision of essential skills and knowledge about their rights.

- Forge links of cooperation and solidarity with national and international institutions with similar objectives to Hargeisa Library

- Create a network for information sharing for all youth groups in the region.

Our Values.

- High Quality - Best practice, innovative approaches and continuous improvement will become our upmost endeavour.

- Fairness, diversity and equity - All staff, partners and clients will be treated fairly and with respect. We will base our employment policies on equal opportunities. Institutional Equality framework protocols will, not only be put in place, but monitored, performed and updated where necessary. We welcome out-side agencies who would like to monitor these protocols.

- Working together - There will be a continuous effort to foster better relationships throughout the organisation as well as developing strong, productive and harmonious working relationships with all our clients.

- Transparency, accountability and anti-Corruption - We will be thoroughly open on the use of any potential donor funds, with full associated communication of our work to our potential donors. All finance issues will be logged and be made fully available for national auditing.

- Sustainability - Resources will be used in a sustainable way that reflects consciousness of the impact on the environment. We will work in a way that is sustainable, backed by commitment to its long-term viability.

The MAE Public Library, Community Cultural and Information Resource Centre’s mission is to speed the rate of community development particularly a highly populated area with very little service provisions and to make transformations to capture local knowledge in the process strengthening community participation and empowerment by providing a platform to access a stock of information and to enhance knowledge for the betterment of the whole community.

This Library aims to become the centre of development in the community and to serve as a positive marker and indicator of local efforts for the wider development their local area, Hargeisa City and Somaliland. The MAE Public Library, Community Cultural and Information Resource Centre will foster community development by providing information which serves as an agent of change in social, educational, economic and political development.

-----------

just the introduction. its too ambitious, ma garateen? :D:p

Maqane   

Tallaabo;962245 wrote:
Don't fall into Alpha trap Mr Abbaas, he is a Nigerian;)

:D You Mafia Minded... think positive about president Alpha

Maqane   

Alpha Blondy;962615 wrote:
^ are you going to make me a website or not, inaar. waa war caad.
:)

Of course President Alpha. I'm currently working on the responsive side (see screenshot) of my tech based website that i'm going to launch soon! After that we can talk about it inaar, ma garatay?.

3atn.jpg

Alpha,

Do you have to bring your nabadoon/ugaas with you to check out a book. How else would you keep track who has the book?

Ducaysane;963283 wrote:
Alpha,

Do you have to bring your nabadoon/ugaas with you to check out a book. How else would you keep track who has the book?

good question. thanks.

$5 for the registration process. $10 for library membership card with picture and unique identification number (laminated but in the long term maybe its worth investing into a card with a chip/bar code - which will allow us to swipe against reader and bring up the member's details automatically - the technology exists here). $10 deposit to borrow books. 3 books per month MAX. reference books will not be borrowed. individuals wishing to use the reference books will leave their library card at the counter and will get their card back when they return the reference books to the front counter.

what do you think? is this a little too much? i want to make the library accessible balse house-keeping rules are important, you see. :P

please advice.

Alz

a few updates

- this project will officially begin bacda ramadan. the private donors have read the proposal and wey soo shubi the dosh soon, inshallah.

- i've been headhunting a few locals who could potentially be enforcers for me. my inaar yusuf (first abti's wife's sister's son) likes the idea and i have his absolute support. its important to recruit people like Yusuf, who is like a local leader because they will protect the library against the bearded folks and haters.

- hosting a social research think-tank at the centre. i made a big casuumad for my friend yesterday. he promised he bring his PhD credentials and research collegues to the centre and help establish the foundations of the centre.

- sourced free used computers from another friend of Alz. he has promised some American-English books too.

- my saudi-based Somali friend who is a qualified teacher from London has sent me the entire catalogue of the latest HEADWAY middle eastern full colour version via dropbox. this is great. i don't think anyone has this syllabus in the entire country.

-

few other things which are are important.

a book bin. (can be made here)

ed57628ee91543de349768b8ed837005.jpg

a nice front counter. (can be made here but not as big though)

b9ab9b450256d3f3751b4428fd958aeb.jpg

i doubt this will be available but why not. :P

bdfbbdb5f9c0c0e4a1bd5c00431a53a3.jpg

a well stocked silent study area.

a3c6f825551ddf18d1d7871bb7de6a26.jpg

maybe a social area with a small cafeteria. Starbucks sort of ''space''. :P

cb524cb8e6aeb8c11d7a0390cfc9a9bc.jpg

interactive learning lab

Language-Lab_big.jpg

Alpha Blondy;963306 wrote:
a few updates

- this project will officially begin bacda ramadan. the private donors have read the proposal and wey soo shubi the dosh soon, inshallah.

- i've been headhunting a few locals who could potentially be enforcers for me. my inaar yusuf (first abti's wife's sister's son) likes the idea and i have his absolute support. its important to recruit people like Yusuf, who is like a local leader because they will protect the library against the bearded folks and haters.

- hosting a social research think-tank at the centre. i made a big casuumad for my friend yesterday. he promised he bring his PhD credentials and research collegues to the centre and help establish the foundations of the centre.

- sourced free used computers from another friend of Alz. he has promised some American-English books too.

- my saudi-based Somali friend who is a qualified teacher from London has sent me the entire catalogue of the latest HEADWAY middle eastern full colour version via dropbox. this is great. i don't think anyone has this syllabus in the entire country.

-

a few more updates.

- the Books

yesterday, i went to see the guys who've been helping me with the books. they have set aside 125 books for the MAE library. i'll collect these soon once the presentations have been made to the beneficiaries and the photos for the donors taken :P. another 450 will be ready to collect bacdal ramadan. that brings the total book stock donated to 600. plus another 50 of my personal books. so 650 in total.

557019_10151728613529250_1902737335_n.jp

28769_10151728613519250_862011208_n.jpg

998050_10151728613649250_544122342_n.jpg

59454_10151728613729250_1162326610_n.jpg

--------------

1017065_10151501210777219_608530003_n.jp

- Hargeysa International Book Fair 2013

^ this is happening fairly soon. i want to ask the organisers to donate all the books at the fair to the MAE. i sort of know them balse we shall see how it goes. this means, i will have the premise rented and the library fully operational by then. otherwise, maxaan uu laa tagee doorna? :)

-----------

- i've written another proposal more tailored to the world of NGOs/INGOs with the help of my cousin. he's an expert in the mashruuc world, you see. it's coming along great and we've almost finalised it. the plan - to send to the deeq bixiyaasha caalamiga and see much money we could get for the project. UNESCO is very keen apparently. we shall see. watch this space, y'all. i'm going BIG. :P

-----------

- the private financiers haven't got back to me. this has been very disappointing ruunti. in the time i've got off work, i plan to spend my own money to kick start the project. its been all talk so far and i reckon, the private financiers might have snubbed me for talking the talk but not producing anything of substance. that's they're problem. NOT mine. i'm going in HARD. i'm gonna fix the place up y'all. i will show them walahi. :)

-----------

- more furniture has been sourced. couple of chairs donated. the stationary will also be donated. the stockpile of furniture is looking good, you know. :cool: