Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Somaliland May Soon Become a Recognized Country

Recently, Somaliland’s President Mohamoud Silanyo has visited Ankara (April 13th) and London (April 17th) per official invitations. He is currently in Washington D.C. per official invitation from Obama’s Administration to meet senior officials and members of the US Congress. One must wonder why President Silanyo is being courted by the world powers, while the other regional presidents within Somalia proper are not.

Also, when asked about the meeting between himself and Somalia’s President, and the Ankara Communique their respective governments signed, President Silanyo has stated that “our dialogue with Somalia is on a two countries basis . . . .” In addition, while speaking at the Atlantic Council in D.C. (April 22nd), President Silanyo stated that “Somalia and Somaliland can and should be equal partners.”

It seems that the Somaliland’s aspiration for recognition may soon come. Mogadishu now has an official government recognized by the community of nations (e.g. US, UK, etc.) and various international organizations (e.g. World Bank, IMF, etc.), its government is no longer transitional. This allows the current Mogadishu government to legally grant Hargeisa (Somaliland’s capital) official recognition; this would not have been binding in the past with the transitional governments. The parent country, Somalia, may be the first country to recognize Somaliland. The international community seems to be facilitating this process.

The Communique’s third point hints at this: “the Dialogue is between the Federal Government of Somalia and the Government of Somaliland. The international community that is supporting this process will only provide facilitation when is needed.”

FULL STORY

That Somaliland will be recognized i am sure of that there is no major obstacle really , the western world has no motives to keep the former Somali republic united at all cost. Somaliland is not dealing with a super power Eritrea had a harder job breaking away from Ethiopia land locking 90 million people. Remember Ethiopia is much stronger than Somalia. And Somalia is not china. the only difference between Somaliland case and the other independent recent broke away nations like south sudan and Eritrea. Is Because the other countries the countries they broke away from were intact Somalia is a different case. Somalia it self is not even fully independent on the ground AU troops maintain the security of Somalia.

Jubba is a far more interesting story these days ;)

The Somaliland/Somalia story has become a boring storyline of 2 rightful leaderships(Hargeisa and Mogadishu) discussing their future relations in harmonious conferences ;)

Now back to Jubba....

P.S. I can also continue the little primer I gave you boys on the Puntland electioneering process, party ratification, and general support bases of the competing political groupings ;) ;) ;)

I'm feeling charitable to my PL brothers today.....

Oodweyne,

Bahashu bilowgii bay idinka qaldantay. Reeraa dhulka idinla dega, mana doonayaan inay go'aan. Odey Xaad iyo Culusow Sanaag iyo Sool ma degaan ee saa u ogow xattaa hadday idinla jeclaan lahaayeen inaad xarig furataan.

Marka sheekadaan waxbaa soo dhaw iyo dawlad madax banaan baa la noqonayaa, caruurta ka daaya, haddii kale sidoodiibay dadka weerar ku qaadayaan, iyagoo mapkii ingiriiska ee 1900s ka wata :D :D

^^lets hope , the proponents of independence on your part understand the math very well and realize a change in objective is in order.

There is a part of me that argues , Northern brothers however excitable fully understand what is politically possible in that region.

Oodweyne,

Isn't it humorous how some have abandoned their dream of Siilaanyo as the saviour of Somaliweyn? ;)

All dreams come in for a landing. Hopefully it's not a hard landing...