Sign in to follow this  
Haatu

Qabiil for a surname?

qabiil, in the sense of Somalis, what does it mean. jufu, jilib, clan. not sure what order they go in or if there are more but which one would be Suriname. We cant have a country with five or so surnames lol.

i try so hard to a tribalist but i CAN'T, this bothers me deeply because my authenticity as a Somali is questioned, dee. no matter how hard i try, i just CAN'T..... walahi. the context of this system is lost on me. i've much to learn but i also posses a clean objective heart. i'm first a monkey then a super Awl then SLander then Somali. sometimes, the order of these change around but for the most part and most days, i'm just Al, KING of SOL (1st Monkey in history) and everybody's favourite little monkey. :P

i've made my peace with qabil. coming to SL has cleansed my soul of such filth. laakin, that's my inner view.

in my outer and public view, i don't particularly like when people say bad things about my clan but i don't also resort to defending any entire group of monkeys, most of which, i don't know off nor can relate too. what's more, i don't like it when people speculate on my clan identity. i don't have a problem telling you my clan....and i won't be offended if you ask. its better coming from me than for y'all to prejudge and label me, ya dig? i want to be seen and known as Al.... a simple, ordinary guy whose also happens to be coolest monkey, you'll ever know :P

its futile. i agree with haatu and XX, here. lets speak about it.....in the hope we can overcome its ''speculative-wax-la-yidhi'' nature. that's the bit, i DON'T LIKE. i also think we're all the same and there is no such thing as a clan hierarchy, despite the view out there, that monkeys are supreme and like the Brahmin of Somalis. each qabil has its own interesting and intricate inner dynamics. its the social sense of belonging, i like the most. when i invite my monkey friends around, i like it because, its a politically correct-free environment. you can actually express yourself without worrying about clan sensitivities. when i'm with my assorted mixed clan friends, i'm more careful not to offend and forced to skirt around such sensitive clan issues...... because, i'm the kind of guy who'd insult a clan and think its perfectly fine, since i don't mean harm....:P. i like the intrepid fox of the east clan the most, walahi. they are so frank, candid and unaffected by its sensitive nature. d-hunters are cool, too. but its the HAG's that do it for me maar kasta. they are poles apart from me, that any discussion around qabil is unlikely to change the mood or influence your opinion and theirs. i don't like D-BLOCK because i've had no exposure to them. call me ignorant, inaar. i didn't like the one's in London because they were greedy and tribalist. avoid these people because qabil is like a pastime to them..ma garateen?

lets be free of this.... ''my qabil is better than your qabil because of a long historical claim to a borehole in ceel-afweyne, or ceel boor or cel badhale NONSENSE''. its not often i write real opinions on these boards because of the biases of my monkey-centric view of the world, these days, but lets take heed guys and celebrate diversity in all it glory regardless of clans, tribes, and qabils.

I LOVE ALL MY PEOPLE....ee sida uula soco. but i LOVE the monkeys the most, ma istidhi? :P

Khadafi   

Haatu good idea.. but just as chimera said are we really ready for it?... Siyaad Barre ilaahay ha u naxariisto once made mockery of Qabiiil. In

cultural play that potrayed Somalia as a qabil-free state--- The theme in the theater was the death of Qabiil. They made a theater of an old representing Qabill and dying and they buried him. This was made in the 70-ties. The point of course is that they buried qabiil. How wrong they were! So your saying instead of making qabil hush hush behind the closet let us make in the open? Just as the arabs?

Well thats atomb bomb. Sacuudiga without it's oil would probably have been a modern Somalia. It's history before the oil was full of nomadic warfare between tribes. Egypt to maghreb are ofcourse not included in this list becouse of its non-nomadic history. Let´s judge a person by his actions and belifs, a known surname that indicates his qabiil will probably not solve issues Somalia.

Chimera;941588 wrote:
28lz9xv.jpg

^ are laughing at me, adamooow? :mad:

you little cleft palate sangudude. i bet, despite all your artificial displays of piety and ''let's all rejoice and sing Kumbayah around the campfire BS''. you're probably the biggest closest qabilist out there, ma istidhi? its usually, your type..... the ones who project this imagine of ''perfectness'' who are the worse. don't BS and nanny the people. the people are NOT dumb.

Safferz   

Apophis;941476 wrote:
What's embarrassing is denying the basic societal organisational of a major East African lineage because of a pretty standard and normal (in world historical sense) war between these people of kin. Qabil is a way of life for us Somalis and hate it as much as you like, it cannot be eradicated for it means the eradication and negations of our entire history.

The time when qabiil was merely a kinship system of social relations ended a long time ago. It has become hardened and politicized in ways that have been devastating and destructive for all of us. And you folks think institutionalizing it is the solution?

Carafaat   

Wadani;941418 wrote:
Wadani Ciidagale, I like the sound of it Haatu. And i support this idea as well.

Wadani, you are so small minded. If I were you or for that matter an Cida-gale. I would call myself, Sheick Carafaat Sultan binu Izaq Sultan binu Somaliland binu Hashim binu Adam. Give us that title if you are not planning to using it. Me, XX and Alpha would really make something of it. :D

lool xaajio this is not something that that simply be "tried" and tossed to the side if it doesnt work out

Xaaji Xunjuf;941509 wrote:
It should be tried and lets see how people react to it its worth trying at least we can say later if it worked or not.

Our neighbors identity themselves with their regions and than their clan and sub clan.

But since we our nomads we identify our selves with the clan and sub clan

I listened to the professor and it seems like he is a very intelligent man he brings solutions.

With in the Somali society its that the clan identity is very strong the moment a President is elected we already know his opponents.

And ofcourse the President has to nominate a prime minister not based on his CV but primarily his tribe.

For many Somali identity means little it means just a language and a close association but it doesn't mean kinship nor nationality.

Apophis;941476 wrote:
What's embarrassing is denying the basic societal organisational of a major East African lineage because of a pretty standard and normal (in world historical sense) war between these people of kin. Qabil is a way of life for us Somalis and hate it as much as you like, it cannot be eradicated for it means the eradication and negations of our entire history.

Totally in agreement - its integral part that can not be denied.

This is a ****** idea.

I am who I am, and someday in the future my descendants will call themselves reer Tillamook, just as I use the names of my forebears.

P.S

Only a through and through laangaab would wanna get rid of our Somali tribal system.

N.O.R.F   

Something that has been done in the middle east for centuries and that has worked. Somalis do it even. It will lead to a lesser qabilified society if people are known as Mohammed Ismail Ali [insert tribe name]. The problem is we would find another of cruel differencial practice - class would be the new thing.