Sign in to follow this  
Khadafi

Inspiring Women--- The Blessed wali, Sayyida Rabia Adawiya...

Khadafi   

Some people are destined to enter the hearts of Mankind, while others enter history by dubious acts other are rememberd with love and respect.

A women whom in my eyes (and acording to other classical scholars) became a reviver (mujadid) of faith was Rabiicatu Adawiya. Her works of love of God and worshipping god through ixsan and following the prophet is inspiring. Rabiica teached the known Scholar Xassan Basri and humbled him. Salaan ilaahay ku yeelo Rabiicoy, hanagna anfaco acmaalkaaga! Ps (There is some old arab movie about her made in 70-ties check it out)

God spoke of his friends, amongst them are women and men. God said about them:

10621.png

Unquestionably, [for] the awliya of Allah there will be no fear concerning them, nor will they grieve”. (Qur’an, 10:62)

The lessons we could draw from this verse acording to Al-qurtubi the main sunni commentory if the Quran is that the Wali does feel any fear when the day of ressurection occurs. They also have no fear in this worldy life. This fear comes from their absolute faith in God. ¨

They attained the firm posistion of Ixsaan. Ixsaan is concept of faith that needs its own subject but if we were to summarise it. God messenger was once asked in famous narration "Oh prophet from god" How do we attain "Ixsaan" The firm answer that he gave was "worship" God as if you see him" Some and even myself would ask myself , well I cant see god! and I cant blame them. The prophet of Abraham who had Iman (belif) wanted to attaint Ixsan in his worship. He said to

God: "And (remember) when Ibrahim said, “My Lord! Show me how You give life to the dead.” He (Allah) said: “Do you not believe” He (Ibrahim) said: “Yes (I believe), but to be stronger in faith.” He said: “Take four birds, then cause them to incline towards you (then slaughter them, cut them into pieces), and then put a portion of them on every hill, and call them, they will come to you in haste. And know that Allah is All-Mighty, All-Wise.”)

God showed Ibrahim and gave life to those birds. Many of us pray but would not our prayers be in a much higher rank when we can see the hidden (ghaybiyaatka of the world). If All of us would be able to see the hidden aspetcs of existense (hell, heaven, angels) I am 100% that our solers with doubt would rush to seek some kind of guidance

God continues to speak about the walis (his friends): He says

:

2257.png

Allah is the ally of those who believe. He brings them out from darkness into the light.” (Qur’an, 2:257)

Acording to the commentary of classical scholars the light that god speaks about is when he enables the beliver (mu´min) to attain the highest station of Ixsaan.

Acording to Caalimki Weynaa. Imaam Taxawaai (the universal agreed codex om sunni muslims) said in his Tahawiya:

No´mino bi awliyaaullaah, wa bi karamaatim (we belive the awliya and their karamaats (miracles) as long as them from known sources"

As I mentioend earlier, when we ponder about likes of Rabiica Adawiya (who saw and teached Xassan al Basri) they were people who attainted the station of IXSAAN

Rabe’a bint Esma’il al-‘Adawiya, born in humble circumstances and sold into slavery as a child,

later settled in Basra where she attained great fame as a saint and a preacher and was highly

esteemed by many of her pious contemporaries. The date of her death is given variously as 135

(752) and 185 (801).

To her, a lifelong celibate, is attributed a large share in the introduction into Islamic mysticism of the theme of Divine love. Her tomb used to be pointed out near Jerusalem.

Rabe’a, her birth and early life If anyone says, “Why have you included Rabe’a in the

rank of men?” my answer is, that the Prophet himself said, “God does not regard your outward forms.” The

root of the matter is not form, but intention, as the Prophet said, “Mankind will be raised up according to

their intentions.” Moreover, if it is proper to derive two-thirds of our religion from A’esha, surely it is per-

missible to take religious instruction from a handmaid of A’esha. When a woman becomes a “man” in the

path of God, she is a man and one cannot any more call her a woman.

The night when Rabe’a came to earth, there was nothing whatsoever in her father’s house; for her father lived in very poor circumstances. He did not possess even one drop of oil to anoint her navel; there was no

lamp, and not a rag to swaddle her in. He already had three daughters, and Rabe’a was his fourth; that is why she was called by that name.

“Go to neighbour So-and-so and beg for a drop of oil, so that I can light the lamp,” his wife said to him.

Now the man had entered into a covenant that he would never ask any mortal for anything. So he went

out and just laid his hand on the neighbour’s door, and returned.

“They will not open the door,” he reported. The poor woman wept bitterly. In that anxious state

the man placed his head on his knees and went to sleep.

He dreamed that he saw the Prophet. “Be not sorrowful,” the Prophet bade him. “The

girl child who has just come to earth is a queen among women, who shall be the intercessor for sev-

enty thousand of my community Tomorrow,” the Prophet continued, “go to Isa-e Zadan the governor

of Basra. Write on a piece of paper to the following effect. ‘Every night you send upon me a hundred

blessings, an on Friday night four hundred. Last night was Friday night, and you forgot me. In expiation for that, give this man four hundred dinars lawfully acquired.’”

Rabe’a’s father on awaking burst into tears. He rose up and wrote as the Prophet had bidden him, and sent

the message to the governor by the hand of a cham-

berlain. “Give two thousand dinars to the poor,” the governor commanded when he saw the missive, “as a

thanksgiving for the Master remembering me. Give

four hundred dinars also to the shaikh, and tell him, ‘I

wish you to come to me so that I may see you.

But I do not hold it proper for a man like you to come to me. I would rather come and rub my beard in you threshold.

However, I adjure you by God, whatever you may need, pray let me know.’”

The man took the gold and purchased all that was necessary. When Rabe’a had become a little older, and her

mother and father were dead, a famine came upon Basra, and her sisters were scattered. Rabe’a ventured

out and was seen by a wicked man who seized her and then sold her for six dirhams. He purchaser put her to

hard labour.

One day she was passing along the road when a stranger approached. Rabe’a fled. As she ran, she fell

headlong and her hand was dislocated. “Lord God,” she cried, bowing her face to the ground,

“I am a stranger, orphaned of mother and father, a help less prisoner fallen into captivity, my hand broken. Yet

for all this I do not grieve; all I need is Thy good pleasure, to know whether Thou art well-pleased or no.”

“Do not grieve,” she heard a voice say. “Tomorrow a station shall be thine such that the cherubim in heav-

en will envy thee.”

So Rabe’a returned to her master’s house. By day she continually fasted and served God, and by night she

worshipped standing until day. One night her master awoke from sleep and, looking through the window of

his apartment, saw Rabe’a bowing prostrate and praying.

“O God, Thou knowest that the desire of my heart is in conformity with Thy command, and that the light

of my eye is in serving Thy court. If the affair lay with me, I would not rest one hour from serving Thee, but

Thou Thyself hast set me under the hand of a creature.”

Such was her litany. Her master perceived a lantern suspended without any chain above her head, the light

whereof filled the whole house. Seeing this, he was afraid. Rising up he returned to his bedroom and sat

pondering till dawn. When day broke he summoned Rabe’a, was gentle with her and set her free.

“Give me permission to depart,” Rabe’a said. He gave her leave, and she left the house and went into the desert. From the desert she proceeded to a hermitage where she served God for a while. Then she

determined to perform the pilgrimage, and set her face towards the desert. She bound her bundle on an ***. In

the heart of the desert the *** died. “Let us carry your load,” the men in the party said.

“You go on,” she replied. “I have not come putting my trust in you.”

So the men departed, and Rabe’a remained alone. “O God,” she cried, lifting her head, “do kings so

treat a woman who is a stranger and powerless? Thou hast invited me unto Thy house, then in the midst of

the way Thou hast suffered my *** to die, leaving me alone in the desert.”

Hardly had she completed this orison when her *** stirred and rose up. Rabe’a placed her load on its back,

and continued on her way. (The narrator of this story reports that some while afterwards he saw that little

donkey being sold in the market.) She travelled on through the desert for some days, then she halted.

“O God,” she cried, “my heart is weary. Whither am I going? I a lump of clay, and Thy house a stone! I need

Thee here.”

Khadafi   

PART 2

God inspred unmediated in her heart. “Rabe’a, thou art faring in the life-blood of eighteen

thousand worlds. Hast thou not seen how Moses prayed for the vision of Me? And I cast a few motes of

revelation upon the mountain, and the mountain shivered into forty pieces. Be content here with My name!”

One night Rabe’a was praying in the hermitage when she was overcome by weariness and fell asleep. So

deeply was she absorbed that, when a reed from the reed-mat she was lying on broke in her eye so that the

blood flowed, she was quite unaware of the fact. A thief entered and seized her chaddur. He then

made to leave, but the way was barred to him. He dropped the chaddur and departed, finding the way

now open. He seized the chaddur again and returned to discover the way blocked. Once more he dropped the

chaddur. This he repeated seven times over; then he heard a voice proceeding from a corner of the her-

mitage.

“Man, do not put yourself to such pains. It is so many years now that she has committed herself to Us.

The Devil himself has not the boldness to slink round her. How should a thief have the boldness to slink

round her chaddur? Be gone, scoundrel! Do not put yourself to such pains. If one friend has fallen asleep,

one Friend is awake and keeping watch.” Two notables of the Faith came to visit Rabe’a, and

both were hungry. “It may be that she will give us food,” they said to each other. “Her food is bound to come from a lawful source.”

When they sat down there was a napkin with two loaves laid before them. They were well content. A beg-

gar arrived just then, and Rabe’a gave him the two loaves. The two men of religion were much upset, but

said nothing. After a while a maidservant entered with a handful of warm bread.

“My mistress sent these,” she explained. Rabe’a counted the loaves. There were eighteen.

“Perhaps it was not this that she sent me,” Rabe’a remarked.

For all that the maidservant assured her, it profited nothing. So she took back the loaves and carried them

away. Now it so happened that she had taken two of the loaves for herself. She asked her mistress, and she

added the two to the pile and returned with them. Rabe’a counted again, and found there were twenty

loaves. She now accepted them. “This is what your mistress sent me,” she said.

She set the loaves before the two men and they ate, marvelinn