Sign in to follow this  
AYOUB

Introducing Pirate Elections: Puntland's No IDs, No registration Polls.

NGONGE,

You are not wrong in saying that Hassan Sheekh polarized Somali politics at a time when Somalia needs reconciliation and trust building. He boxed himself in a decidedly clannish tone with his Jubbaland opposition, an initiative that preceded him, and has been in the works for number of years.

You know that separatist ideology has been with us for the last twenty years, and I think there is nothing new about people (whom it will affect the most) opposing it, especially when it seems Siilaanyo is succeeding to gain higher profile than he inherited.

In Puntland there is nothing going on really, other than the new 'degaano' election in June 30th. Luckily, it is not only those in Puntland that are interested in a peaceful and transparent process , the IC is knee deep in brokering understanding between parties. I am impressed the maturity of both sides given the context in which this new process in introduced. So the old ship of Puntland has been provided with new navigation with respect to the direction it should go ..the fuel is full, the captain reasonable, and the merchants on-board well informed---the only area of dispute or disagreement is how many stops should the ship make before it gets to the final destination.

So there is nothing new this topic brings to the discussion , other than Ayoub's desire to practice his name calling with Puntland i.e. Pirates, Trinity ..and stuff :D

Daqane   

NGONGE;942446 wrote:
Xiin,

I prefer to talk about the PL election to be honest.
:D

However, the real topic here is about the changing nature of Somali politics. The
"tent"
(as is evident by your and Baashi's recent replies on SOL) is being openly erected bang in the middle of Somali politics these days. It's being unapologetic and confrontational about it (from looted houses to Jubba and all the way to the SL/Somalia talks). But why the sudden change? Why does everyone suddenly sound like the Imam? For me, all roads seem to be pointing back to Hassan Sheikh.

This is the topic that towers above all the Kenyan soldiers, looted houses, secessionist celebrations and all the titillating bits we keep seeing on this site every day. It is also a (potentially) good topic.

Loool so many fires within fires, wheels turning within wheels.

Carafaat   

Punland wont have any real and fair elections(see the press release posted by Ayoub). That is a fact. Still the pirates strstegy doesnt seem to be based on getting Puntland in order but rather jumping on the next best ships that comes along, in this case Jubbaland. Just us the real pirates have no intention of creating an honoust living from the earned fees, they move on to the next opportunity that comes along in the sea of possibilities.