Sign in to follow this  
Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar

In memoriam

windows-live-messenger-7.png

Microsoft pulls the plug on MSN Messenger

Microsoft’s venerable Messenger program has been moved to the great big recycling bin in the sky.

Microsoft announced it would be retiring Windows Live Messenger (formerly known as MSN Messenger, or simply “MSN”) back in November. Users had until today (April 8) to migrate their accounts over to Skype, which the Washington-based software company acquired in 2011.

Messenger was born in 1999, and was once the most popular chat site in the world. The service introduced millennials to things like emoticons and status updates and helped teens the world over (this reporter included) learn to talk to members of their preferred sex.

t its peak, Messenger boasted 300 million users in more than 60 countries. Some have even gone as far as to declare it “the first truly popular social network.”

For those who simply cannot live without their faceless blue and green avatars or the ability to “nudge” fellow users, there is hope. As the Want China Times reports, Microsoft will continue Messenger in China, due to the peculiar nature of the Chinese Market.

“Microsoft will continue to provide the MSN service in China, due to the complicated shareholding relationship between a MSN joint venture in China, Tom and Skype. At present, the operation of MSN in China is carried out by the joint venture between Microsoft and a holding firm in China. The joint venture has been endeavoring to push the MSN mobile service in China, with unsatisfactory results, due mainly to its reliance on China Mobile, which, in turn, intends to tap the market itself,” wrote the paper.

Xigasho

Wow, that's kinda sad. Even though i haven't used MSN for at least 2yrs now, i remember when i would to talk people from everywhere and spend hours and hours on it. Nothing lasts forever i guess.

Safferz   

Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar;936905 wrote:
What are your memories of MSN? Dad badan naga mid ah waala soo kornay MSN.

RIP MSN messenger. A few memories:

- the hotmail account I made in 5th grade, which was something like pisces_cutie911

- the passive aggressive, cryptic song lyrics I'd have as my sign-in name

- getting mad when I'd sign in and my pic was replaced by that rubber duck

- "appear offline" so certain people wouldn't see me online

-

- abo asking me why I spend so much time on the computer when I see these people at school all day

- group chat fights

- minesweeper

Safferz   

Maarodi;936908 wrote:
That feeling you get when you would hear that sound Safferz linked to and chatting with your crush online.

Surprised I forgot about this, considering most MSN group chat fights were about boys anyway lol

Safferz;936907 wrote:
RIP MSN messenger. A few memories:

- the hotmail account I made in 5th grade, which was something like pisces_cutie911

- the passive aggressive, cryptic song lyrics I'd have as my sign-in name

- getting mad when I'd sign in and my pic was replaced by that rubber duck

- "appear offline" so certain people wouldn't see me online

-

- abo asking me why I spend so much time on the computer when I see these people at school all day

- group chat fights

- minesweeper

LOL You summarized it perfectly :D

I haven't used MSN Messenger in years but I have plenty of fond memories

Safferz   

SomaliPhilosopher;936911 wrote:
pisces_cutie911 batahay? shukaansiga iska daaf edo. waa hal bacaad lagu lisay

lol no, I made that up to give you guys an idea of how dumb and embarrassing my email address was at that age. But it was pretty close.

Safferz   

SomaliPhilosopher;936913 wrote:
^^ waan ogyahay. mar hore baan sameenay guurka qudbo siro.......... ooops

No need to tell everyone on SOL our MSN business :P

wyre   

Msn waxa keliya oo aan ka xasuusto waa Inbox ka oo aan warqado ka akhristo, for the last 6 years or more MSN maba galin computer keygana kuma dhown loodh gareysno :D

Coofle   

I was using MSN messenger for months before I knew there is more internet than MSN chatting .....imika waxaad i leedihiin no more MSN...Waa war murugo leh....I have so so so many stories of MSN

Rest in peace...We have so many fond memories of you MSN...The first E-date was on msn kkk...

Waa runtaa...Allaylahe waan la soo kornay