Sign in to follow this  
Blessed

Somali president finally acknowledges rape by security forces

there is a rape epidemic, have you guys heard whats happening in India and Brazil and all over the third world. As long women take the back seat issues like this and wait for a president to or government that's almost all male, nothing will happen. maybe they to take to the streets.

Blessed. It is societal issue. That said, Somali women in the West are in unique advantage to help women back home. Social and political change will only come if women demand them.

Chimera   

Che -Guevara;937637 wrote:
Social and political change will only come if women demand them.

This is not some disparity in wages or political participation that needs rectifying, this is the most psychologically damaging crime one human can commit upon another. Women do not have to demand to live in peace in their own country, its their birth-right.

The President as the leader of the republic has to fix this issue with all the power that is at his disposal, and he has enough to get the job done. If this is still happening 6 months from now, then all of these stories of a rebirth are just fairy-tales.

raula   

Che-indeed the effort is worth the endeavor & I concur w/your logic. I haven't personally heard of a group here yet(in my neck of the wood), nor have i had time to search yet-will work on it.

Blessed-thx for the link & will check it out. I too can't stomach even in flimsy movies let alone are real predicament :D

NGONGE   

Che -Guevara;937637 wrote:
Blessed. It is societal issue. That said, Somali women in the West are in unique advantage to help women back home. Social and political change will only come if women demand them.

It's men doing the raping, saaxib. Surely it's other men that should be making the most noise about such injustice.

ailamos   

Chimera;937745 wrote:
Women do not have to demand to live in peace in their own country, its their birth-right.

The most sensible quote in this thread so far.

raula   

che--true but maxaan ka garan MInnesota lol..no time to venture out of my little circle of life :D