Sign in to follow this  
Chimera

To the non-gang-affiliated Somali brothers - A survival guide for the West.

Haatu   

I agree with Narniah. Stay in your local mosque. There's plenty of youth activities nowadays and you get to meet other sensible, intelligent Malis. Plus the Wadaads are mostly cool and willing to talk so not having a father figure is no longer an issue.

At the end of the day, it all boils down to who you hang around with. And also, like Chimera said, don't bother go to the Chicken shop at 11.00pm coz your hungry if your area is dangerous. Just don't. That's *********.

NGONGE   

Don't have much advice for gang bangers but cases of mistaken identity are just "qadaa wa qadar", nothing much can be done about them. At any rate, young men should not lock themselves at home like Saudi girls for fear of an accident.

p.s.

Cars for smelly students and Apo (or the unemployed) are not cheap. Have you had a look at the cost of insurance for those under the age of twenty five?

Maarodi   

Juxa;935330 wrote:
When hooyo somaliyeed comes and asks help to get her son's body released from morgue where she was told it may take 8 weeks cause one of the suspects, another somali boy and his legal team asked for second post mortem you don't say gang buu ku jirey, your heart shatters for her.

It is time for London community to really deal with this issue. If anyone wants to take closer look, tomorrow at the old bailey the trial of Somali on Somali murder in streatham starts. The gallery is free. Go and listen and come back hopefully with different attitude

My take is we need greater presence of fathers and we need
hooyo to ask where her boys are
. We need the community to provide guidance and so on

I agree with your advice. And I bolded that part to expand on what I think Cara and Africa were trying to make: Every islaan thinks her son is a saint and doesn't own up to his actions once he gets in trouble. In fact some of them try to cover up talking about "oh he went to jail or got locked up for some traffic violation". Total BS. Little does she know its public record and anybody with simple internet search skills can find out and the courts are open to the public.

They need to stop covering up for their children because as Cara pointed out, it makes it difficult to distinguish the innocent good apples from the rotten ones.

Last Monday night, they shot at the feet and legs wiil Soomaaliyeed oo da' yar -- around 17 -- aan aad u aqaanay. He was far from being in a gang, maba yaqaano waxaas. He came back from Nayroobi in mid '2011, after spending there seven years of his childhood. He was born in Toronto, but Nayroobi loogu waday in uu diinta iyo tacliinta aasaaska ah kusoo barto.

He was shot purely because of his Soomaaliness and just as at this thread indicated. They asked him if he lived in that 'neighbourhood.' Haa ayuu yiri, they started shooting, fifteen shots fired overall. They would have shot any Soomaali, boy or a man, ay arkaan that night, because dad aargudasho wato ayee ahaayeen.

Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar;937824 wrote:
Last Monday night, they shot at the feet and legs wiil Soomaaliyeed oo da' yar -- around 17 -- aan aad u aqaanay. He was far from being in a gang, maba yaqaano waxaas. He came back from Nayroobi in mid '2011, after spending there seven years of his childhood. He was born in Toronto, but Nayroobi loogu waday in uu diinta iyo tacliinta aasaaska ah kusoo barto.

He was shot purely because of his Soomaaliness and just as at this thread indicated. They asked him if he lived in that 'neighbourhood.' Haa ayuu yiri, they started shooting, fifteen shots fired overall. They would have shot any Soomaali, boy or a man, ay arkaan that night, because dad aargudasho wato ayee ahaayeen.

Allaha u fududeeyo, wiilkaas. MMA, waa wax laga naxo, in qof aan waxaasba aqoon saas loogula dhaqmo. Maxaad oron laheed ayaa ku haboon Somalida meeshaa degen? is Hubeya? meesha ka guura, ama dowlada ugu dacwooda?

Wadani;935268 wrote:
This is required at times when warranted. If degenerate lifestyles arent stigmatized within our communities and those who adopt them aren't held responsible for the outcome of their actions (yes even death) the problem will only get worse. Somalis need to take personal responsibility for what's happening to their communities in spite of all the systemic injustices that make conditions ripe for our youth to go wayward. The dominant white superstructure around us will not change, nor do they care about us. We have to stop believeing in their crocdile tears and taking their petty scraps and start empowering ourselves. Do u think the Jewish diaspora, which was dispersed in 70 AD, was handed all of their influence, power and wealth by the Muslim empires of the past, and later the Europeans Americans? These people banded together and did what they had to do to take what was theirs and then some. So lets stop with all the claptrap about rascism and disenfranchisement....These injustices are a reality yes, so we either get like the Jews and become self-reliant or like the African Americans and sulk all day about sh** not being fair. Let's not forget we are active agents that can create our own socio-economic realities (ofcourse within the limits of Allah's qadar).

STOP!

You're making too much sense ;)

This is the kind of paragraph that would make Jesse Jackson's head explode

N.O.R.F;935332 wrote:
You can't place too much blame on the parents or even the kids.

The parents have a big role to play and many parents are too liberal these days. When I see young Somali kids and youths outside at night, as late as 10, 11pm if not midnight or later, you ask yourself where the parents are in all of this. What business has a 15yr old being outside at 11pm?

Safferz   

raula;938303 wrote:
Y'all need to watch (I think its a documentary) called "the House I live in" .

A brilliant documentary that would go over some SOLers' heads, judging from this thread. There's a lot of willful ignorance here about the structural conditions that configure the possibilities for Somali children in North America, I doubt a documentary on the realities of race, crime and the prison industrial complex will help.

N.O.R.F   

OdaySomali;937853 wrote:
The parents have a big role to play and many parents are too liberal these days. When I see young Somali kids and youths outside at night, as late as 10, 11pm if not midnight or later, you ask yourself where the parents are in all of this. What business has a 15yr old being outside at 11pm?

My point was that the streets are more dangerous today than they were 10 years ago.

raula   

Saffers..don't you think you are undervaluing the power of learning..including somalis. we were not all born brilliant like you my dear..some of us Acquire knowledge hence become learned!. N'ways. I concur that 'other factors' (e.g. structural/societal/political/past-present history etc) interject on our development as societies' advance/adopt be it that of newly arrived immigrant communities or African Americans, thereby shaping our trajectory .

NORF..great! (didn't see that before)