Sign in to follow this  
Chimera

To the non-gang-affiliated Somali brothers - A survival guide for the West.

Safferz;935283 wrote:
Umm wrong, just as I suspected, which is why I asked you what *you* think it means. "Known to police" means you've been stopped by the police and asked for your identifying information, which is then documented and entered into the system.

[/indent]

But..."Known to police" could also be a person involved with criminal activity in the past right?

Safferz   

AfricaOwn;935290 wrote:
But..."Known to police" could also be a person involved with criminal activity in the past right?

Of course it can, but the statistics show that the vast majority are not. You're still wrong. Thanks for playing.

Carafaat   

Chimera, I know more killed in car accidentd then gang shootings. So your advice is not practical here in Holland nor in Africa.

Safferz;935292 wrote:
Of course it can, but the statistics show that the vast majority are not. You're still wrong. Thanks for playing.

So all the "known to police" Somali victims (stay within the context of this thread) that I posted earlier were wrongfully booked by the police?

Che -Guevara;935289 wrote:
I dealt with cops and the courts. And every black male is known to the cops.

You could at-least say "Every black dude who is innocent AND CRIMINAL are known to COPS". Don't twist sh!t, say it from both sides...no biases.

Chimera   

Africown your protestations and line of arguments are very weird. Nobody here is defending gang-members or denying the police "knew" about them, the original point was about the many victims, three of which I provided in the previous page,who were non-affiliated, confirmed by both the community and the police. That the latter knew them for something else or not has no bearing on my point.

Chimera   

Carafaat;935293 wrote:
Chimera,

So your advice is not practical here in Holland nor in Africa.

LOL@ Holland, that's a little paradise compared to the streets of London or the Americas, non-comparable.

Safferz   

AfricaOwn;935294 wrote:
So all the "known to police" Somali victims (stay within the context of this thread) that I posted earlier were wrongfully booked by the police?

If you'd like to stay within the context of this thread, then don't derail it with your logical fallacies. Let's revisit some of your posts in this thread:

First, in a knee-jerk response to Chimera's suggestion of innocents being killed, you ask what it means that most victims were "known to police," to hint that Somali youth who are killed are engaged in criminal activities:

AfricaOwn;935272 wrote:
This makes the recurring theme of an innocent person on the periphery getting killed due to gang-violence more than the gang-members themselves absolutely understandable, and telling law-abiding men to join criminal organisation is not the solution.

The stats say most of the victims are "known to police" , now what does that mean to you?

Here you incorrectly define "known to police" as a person involved in criminal activity:

AfricaOwn;935280 wrote:
visit your local police station to help you define the term "Known to police", they'll tell you it means that the person was involved with criminal activity in the past.

After realizing you made that up and have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, now you try to argue that someone "known to police" can still be a criminal despite the evidence that most people who are known to police are documented in non-criminal encounters, and when that is pointed out to you AGAIN, the strawman above appears. Where did I say "all 'known to police' Somali victims were wrongfully booked," and when was this EVER the discussion? My point here is 1) to call into question your use of "known to police" as evidence of the criminality of Somali victims; and 2) to point out that your definition of "known to police" - which you define as a person involved in criminal activity - is absolutely and unequivocally false. Some people who are "known to police" are criminals, yes, just like some people who are not "known to police" are too.

So once again, thanks for playing.

^^

Silly lol...

How did I incorrectly define the term "known to police" ? Are you disagreeing the fact that I said its a person involved in criminal activity?

AfricaOwn;935290 wrote:

Safferz;935292 wrote:

And my question still remains, are the Somali victims who are labelled "known to police" (stay within the context of this thread) that I posted earlier wrongfully booked by the police since you say " vast majority are not"

Safferz   

AfricaOwn;935301 wrote:

How did I incorrectly define the term "known to police" ? Are you disagreeing the fact that I said its a person involved in criminal activity?

Did you even read the Toronto Star report I posted twice now? I'm not "disagreeing" with you - a disagreement implies a difference of opinion - I am telling you that you're wrong and I provided the evidence for it.

AfricaOwn;935301 wrote:

And my question still remains, are the Somali victims who are labelled "known to police" (stay within the context of this thread) that I posted earlier wrongfully booked by the police?

How else am I supposed to put it? I just walked you through your own logic to point out why that question is ridiculous and irrelevant in the context of your own posts and the discussion at hand.

Safferz;935302 wrote:
Did you even read the Toronto Star report I posted twice now? I'm not "disagreeing" with you - a disagreement implies a difference of opinion - I am telling you that you're wrong and I provided the evidence for it.

How else am I supposed to put it? I just walked you through your own logic to point out why that question is ridiculous and irrelevant in the context of your own posts and the discussion at hand.

Safferz;935298 wrote:
Some people who are "known to police" are criminals, yes, .

Ummm, I don't know how I am wrong....Goodnight

Safferz   

AfricaOwn;935305 wrote:
Ummm, I don't know how I am wrong....Goodnight

Helped you out and transcribed part of the Toronto Star video explaining the process of how people come to be "known to police":

"Every year, Toronto Police stop, question and document hundreds of thousands of people in encounters that typically don't involve an arrest or any charges. They stop people on foot, on bicycles, and in vehicles for reasons such as general investigation, related to a radio call, loitering, suspicious activity, or as the result of a traffic stop. They ask for your name, date of birth, phone number, address, height, and weight. If you're with some other people, they do the same for them and note that all of you were documented together. You're henceforth known as "associates." They also make a note of physical descriptions, including skin colour. There are four choices, white, black, brown and other. All of this is documented on a small white card called a Field Information Report, or a "contact card." Most of the people documented are law abiding citizens. Fewer than 1 in 5 of the more than 700,000 people who were carded between 2008 and 2011 had been arrested in the past decade. So what happens to all this data? The information is entered into a massive police database that has no purging requirements. It is searched by police following crimes for possible suspects, witnesses and associates. Police call it a valuable tool, and officers are encouraged to document citizens." (Toronto Star)

And here's an interactive map that shows how young black men are 3.2 times more likely to be documented by Toronto Police than whites: http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/knowntopolice/2012/03/07/interactive_map_black_and_white_differences.html

Bye!