Sign in to follow this  
Chimera

To the non-gang-affiliated Somali brothers - A survival guide for the West.

Chimera   

A few days ago a promising young Somali boy was brutally murdered in Edmonton, London and from what I understand the boy had no gang ties, it was simply a case of wrong place/wrong time. Two groups clashed at a Kebab shop according to the news, one of them was a Somali group. The non-Somali group returned an hour later and most likely shot the first Somali male they saw.

This is becoming quite a problem for the majority of us Somali men who aren't part of these Somali gangs that are expanding rapidly in traditional Afro-Carribean, Asian and White gang territories. To the latter, any Somali male between the ages of 14 and 30 is a potential recruit and a potential enemy, and some will provoke you into a fight, or worse.

One of the things I would suggest to the brothers above 18 (or 16 in some countries) is to get a car. This form of technology is the safest way to travel because walking on the streets, and waiting at the bus-stops are the most common flash-points for potential altercations. To the brothers below 18, I would recommend they invested in a Playstation-3 or an X-Box and just avoid going outside after 7 o'clock in the evening.

Do not feel emboldened because you're hanging with a group of mates, look at every fatal stabbing in London, almost of every single one of these victims were with their mates, and the latter all ran. If you have football practice, make sure the route home is a safe one, even if you have to take a detour.

Wadani   

Good advice Chimera. I grew up in one of the toughest neighbourhoods in all of Canada and so I've had my fair share of close calls.

Chimera;935236 wrote:
A few days ago a promising young Somali boy was brutally murdered in Edmonton, London and from what I understand the boy had no gang ties, it was simply a case of wrong place/wrong time. Two groups clashed at a Kebab shop according to the news, one of them was a Somali group. The non-Somali group returned an hour later and most likely shot the first Somali male they saw.

This is becoming quite a problem for the majority of us Somali men who aren't part of these Somali gangs that are expanding rapidly in traditional Afro-Carribean, Asian and White gang territories. To the latter, any Somali male between the ages of 14 and 30 is a potential recruit and a potential enemy, and some will provoke you into a fight, or worse.

One of the things I would suggest to the brothers above 18 (or 16 in some countries) is to get a car. This form of technology is the safest way to travel because walking on the streets, and waiting at the bus-stops are the most common flash-points for potential altercations. To the brothers below 18, I would recommend they invested in a Playstation-3 or an X-Box and just avoid going outside after 7 o'clock in the evening.

Do not feel emboldened because you're hanging with a group of mates, look at every fatal stabbing in London, almost of every single one of these victims were with their mates, and the latter all ran. If you have football practice, make sure the route home is a safe one, even if you have to take a detour.

HIGHLY inappropriate advice.

Adams, you have good intentions. but for goodness sakes please suggest something a little more practical. do you think the money to purchase a car is going to fall out of the sky, inaar? wax fahan. secondly, death is a reality, ee sida uula soco. we'll ALL experience its deadly flaws at some stage or another. you can't stay indoors because you're more likely to die. that's absurd. you CANNOT live your life thinking you'll be the next victim of a stabbing. thirdly and finally, do you really think 16-18 years read this site? go and volunteer with your local youth centre and help them in more practical ways.

Chimera   

Alpha Blondy;935241 wrote:
HIGHLY inappropriate advice.

Adams, you have good intentions. but for goodness sakes please suggest something a little more practical. do you think the money to purchase a car is going to fall out of the sky, inaar. wax fahan. secondly, death is a reality, inaar ee sida uula soco. we'll ALL experience its deadly flaws at some stage or another. you can't stay indoors because you're more likely to die. that's absurd. you CANNOT live you're life thinking you'll be the next victim of a stabbing. thirdly and finally, do you really think 16-18 years read this site? go and volunteer with your local youth centre and help them in more practical ways.

Not surprised, if I say the sky is blue you will protest and tell me its pink. To any 18 year old, a second hand car is very much affordable, most Somali boys I know of that age group work at places like Subway, Mickeys, and Burger King during the weekend. This is only cautionary advice, considering the neighbourhood Somalis live in, its not exactly little Chelsea is it? The culture of hanging outside in the evening, or at the mall serves no purpose to any Somali boy aspiring to achieve something in life.

And yes, 16 and 18 year olds do read this forum, so I would suggest you fix your attitude and modus operandi on SOL before you do permanent damage.

Blessed   

That's sad, another lad was killed in that area a few weeks ago by a Polish gang, two of his friends, also Somali were seriously injured. It's really hard for our young men walaahi, hard to stay out of trouble and hard to avoid it. *sigh*

ta kale.....''kids'', ''children'' these days are feral wildlings obsessed and deeply immersed in the greed of a consumerist immoral culture. they lack the discipline of previous generations. gone are the days of feeling a sense of community spirit. what's more, those bogus community organisations have reached the absolute limits of their usefulness. they're still peddling immigration and asylum services. for goodness sakes, its 2013! the somali community is now settled and services MUST be tailored to reflect the needs of the community. somali households have become dysfunctional and unruly. parents lacks the necessary skills to raise children. there are systemic failure across the board in these inner city wastelands. the list can go on, inaar........... balse, the important focus should now be given to the strict disciplining of children from a young age. better engagement and mobilisation of community organisations. better community leadership and role-model programmes. home-economics and budgetary seminars for parents. more quranic centres. more sports and cultural activities for the youth. a fathers-led vigilante-styled group who disrupt the gangs loitering the streets. DISCIPLINE, DISCIPLINE and MORE DISCIPLINE!

i grew up in a torture chamber but walahi i will forever be grateful. no soft happy-dovey-lovey BS. corporal punishment is REQUIRED which doesn't conform to the liberal media's POLITICALLY CORRECT subversive ploy to destroy traditional family values.

Chimera;935242 wrote:
Not surprised, if I say the sky is blue you will protest and tell me its pink. To any 18 year old, a second hand car is very much affordable, most Somali boys I know of that age group work at places like Subway, Mickeys, and Burger King during the weekend. This is only cautionary advice, considering the neighbourhood Somalis live in, its not exactly little Chelsea is it? The culture of hanging outside in the evening, or at the mall serves no purpose to any Somali boy aspiring to achieve something in life.

And yes, 16 and 18 year olds do read this forum, so I would suggest you fix your attitude and modus operandi on SOL before you do permanent damage.

you're even more detached from reality than i initially thought.

there are REAL people DYING out there and this is caused by REAL issues out there. these need REAL solutions.

Cara.   

Here's my advice: join a gang. In every single case of a young Somali man killed during a violent altercation, the community swears up and down that it was a case of mistaken identity, "wrong place wrong time", or that the young man was an upstanding, promising member of the community with absolutely no ties to local hoodlums. One can only conclude that bona fide gangsters must therefore be completely immune to being killed in these troubling times, and that the safest place for our young men is in a gang.

Safferz   

Cara.;935257 wrote:
Here's my advice: join a gang. In every single case of a young Somali man killed during a violent altercation, the community swears up and down that it was a case of mistaken identity, "wrong place wrong time", or that the young man was an upstanding, promising member of the community with absolutely no ties to local hoodlums. One can only conclude that bona fide gangsters must therefore be completely immune to being killed in these troubling times, and that the safest place for our young men is in a gang.

So we're victim-blaming now?

Guzel   

How about they get away from troubled cities? Somali parents should send their boys away to university in safer cities. 18 year old somali males cannot maintain the cost of a car even if they work, especially if they grew up in a welfare dependant house.

Chimera   

Guzel;935262 wrote:
How about they get away from troubled cities? Somali parents should send their boys away to university in safer cities. 18 year old somali males cannot maintain the cost of a car even if they work, especially if they grew up in a welfare dependant house.

They don't have to maintain it alone, the car could belong to the whole family. When the boy needs to go somewhere, be it getting groceries, college or football practice, he could just take the car. He could also pick up other Somali boys on the way to the pitch. The cost of topping up your oyster is super-expense, a week pass is now 20 pounds or something, and most Somali families have several sons, so that is several oyster cards. Somali mothers are also very resourceful, one hagbad should do it.

Wadani   

Alpha Blondy;935251 wrote:
ta kale.....''kids'', ''children'' these days are feral wildlings obsessed and deeply immersed in the greed of a consumerist immoral culture. they lack the discipline of previous generations. gone are the days of feeling a sense of community spirit. what's more, those bogus community organisations have reached the absolute limits of their usefulness. they're still peddling immigration and asylum services. for goodness sakes, its 2013! the somali community is now settled and services MUST be tailored to reflect the needs of the community. somali households have become dysfunctional and unruly. parents lacks the necessary skills to raise children. there are systemic failure across the board in these inner city wastelands. the list can go on, inaar........... balse, the important focus should now be given to the strict disciplining of children from a young age. better engagement and mobilisation of community organisations. better community leadership and role-model programmes. home-economics and budgetary seminars for parents. more quranic centres. more sports and cultural activities for the youth. a fathers-led vigilante-styled group who disrupt the gangs loitering the streets. DISCIPLINE, DISCIPLINE and MORE DISCIPLINE!

i grew up in a torture chamber but walahi i will forever be grateful. no soft happy-dovey-lovey BS. corporal punishment is REQUIRED which doesn't conform to the liberal media's POLITICALLY CORRECT subversive ploy to destroy traditional family values.

+1000000

Wadani   

Safferz;935260 wrote:
So we're victim-blaming now?

This is required at times when warranted. If degenerate lifestyles arent stigmatized within our communities and those who adopt them aren't held responsible for the outcome of their actions (yes even death) the problem will only get worse. Somalis need to take personal responsibility for what's happening to their communities in spite of all the systemic injustices that make conditions ripe for our youth to go wayward. The dominant white superstructure around us will not change, nor do they care about us. We have to stop believeing in their crocdile tears and taking their petty scraps and start empowering ourselves. Do u think the Jewish diaspora, which was dispersed in 70 AD, was handed all of their influence, power and wealth by the Muslim empires of the past, and later the Europeans Americans? These people banded together and did what they had to do to take what was theirs and then some. So lets stop with all the claptrap about rascism and disenfranchisement....These injustices are a reality yes, so we either get like the Jews and become self-reliant or like the African Americans and sulk all day about sh** not being fair. Let's not forget we are active agents that can create our own socio-economic realities (ofcourse within the limits of Allah's qadar).